Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Maybe. The linked article is in Russian, and I don't trust machine translation of that language to accurately convey the details.
Yeh but the date and opening of a case under and the absence from my link of the words guilty, sentence and prison let alone five and years are I submit at the least suggestive

As much as I abhor what's going on, this is just fucking wrong IMO

Not helpful. Most if not all of these people have spent most of their lives living outside Russia. Bonkers.

I disagree, just think about Ukrainian players having to play against those representing countries that are involved in invading their country, wrecking it, killing & raping their people.

I disagree, just think about Ukrainian players having to play against those representing countries that are involved in invading their country, wrecking it, killing & raping their people.

It's not those players' fault. Many of them have condemned what's going on.

Were American players banned after the (second) invasion of Iraq on what could be generously described as spurious grounds?

Not helpful. Most if not all of these people have spent most of their lives living outside Russia. Bonkers.

Sporting boycotts have been part of this kind of thing for ages, South African sporting teams during apartheid for example. It's about creating pressure across a myriad of fronts, and like with other sanctions they aren't 'fair' on many individuals.

Sporting boycotts have been part of this kind of thing for ages, South African sporting teams during apartheid for example. It's about creating pressure across a myriad of fronts, and like with other sanctions they aren't 'fair' on many individuals.

Tennis isnt a team sport. The rugby and cricket teams banned black players from playing for them. It's a bit different.

Sporting boycotts have been part of this kind of thing for ages, South African sporting teams during apartheid for example.
While this correct, maybe there's a difference between a national sporting team which obviously does represent a state, and a sports person competing as an individual in something like tennis.

ETA For me, it's not so much about being fair on individuals as the problem with punishing athletes (or anyone) simply because they happen to be Russian, which suggests a kind of collective guilt I don't think is helpful.

I've got mixed feelings on it tbh (same with BDS if I'm honest). I know the world cup was used by Putin to make Russia seem more normal but i actually thought it was a good thing in a lot of respects. That said a lot of the Russian athletes seem to be wearing Zs and actually supporting what's going on.

Most if not all of these people have spent most of their lives living outside Russia. Bonkers.
Yes but Russia has banned a long list of British Politicians from visiting Russia and most, if not all of these people, have spent most of their lives keeping their financial affairs outside of Great Britain.

If Vlad will will take them in and keep them, I'd be prepared to compromise over Wimbledon.

It's too bad for the players, especially those that have made it clear that they're against the invasion, but I can understand Wimbledon's reluctance to potentially give a fascist leader an international sporting victory to celebrate. Maybe Medvedev etc. should be offered an alternative citizenship.

It's too bad for the players, especially those that have made it clear that they're against the invasion, but I can understand Wimbledon's reluctance to potentially give a fascist leader an international sporting victory to celebrate. Maybe Medvedev etc. should be offered an alternative citizenship.
I have wondered if we're likely to see a return of people 'defecting to the west' like many did during the cold war.

This makes interesting reading...

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about things like this and loads of the sanctions tbh. But on the list of things to be bothered about connected to Ukraine currently professional tennis players not being able to compete at Wimbledon is pretty much at the bottom.

Last edited:

Hold on you were calling for NATO to get involved the other week. ButtThis is too much?

I don’t really give a shit about tennis. But I wouldn’t support a band I like going to play a gig in Russia right now. I know those aren’t directly comparable. As the latter would have other issues. But part of the risk of international travel, doing business abroad, is sometimes world events get in the way.

Ukraine war: Mariupol commander makes 'last' plea for help​

I heard on the radio that Ukraine had proposed the exchange of Russian POWs for the safe escape of people from the steelworks of Mariupol. I haven't been able to find further comment though.

Hold on you were calling for NATO to get involved the other week. ButtThis is too much?

I really really dont get this post.

One is a bunch of people largely brought up in Florida being stopped from pursuing their career. The pursuit of hitting a little green ball over a net, the other is asking the richest countries in the world with the largest armies ever formed to intervene in an illegal war which is killing tens of thousands of innocent people. I don't know if Putin is a tennis buff of course.

As I think the LTA pointed out it's not a particularly good situation for the athletes to be in in any case. Speak out and risk family in Russia... Don't speak out get hammered by the press. Maybe get protests at matches... Or of course there may be some in favour of invasion, in which case essentially allowing propaganda.

Dunno, but I will say it's the conflict-related thing least likely to cause me to lose any sleep over it.

As I think the LTA pointed out it's not a particularly good situation for the athletes to be in in any case. Speak out and risk family in Russia... Don't speak out get hammered by the press. Maybe get protests at matches... Or of course there may be some in favour of invasion, in which case essentially allowing propaganda.

Dunno, but I will say it's the conflict-related thing least likely to cause me to lose any sleep over it.

Yeah exactly, a ban is good partly as it takes it away from the individuals and what they do/don't do in relation to this. No tricky decisions to make, no difficult questions in post-match interviews, no risk to their families, etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom