Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

I remember when I was in Odessa in 2005, people then were talking about partitioning Ukraine. I had to tell them that that would not be a good idea. . .

Looks like Donetsk and Luhansk will be annexed very soon.

Hopefully it doesn't go any further that. Putin formally annexing territories already effectively held by Russian-allied forces anyway, declaring victory and then backing down is probably the best case scenario all things considered.

If they go to Kiev, all bets are off, and I might start helping my dad out at his allotment to learn valuable post-apocalyptic life skills.

Where's Aladdin and his incisive analysis of how Putin doesn't want war at all and is not at all acting like he does, and it's just Johnson etc. 'talking it up'.

Yes..well..lest anyone think I actually think Putin is great, I already posted that I domt think much of him. I worked with Russians for years teaching English
All during Gorbachovs time. I knew Russians in Finland and Sweden.
I fully recognise Putin is a tyrant. I just didnt ever think he would want to be at war with Europe let alone to be the cause of WW3.
But maybe he does?
Who knows.

The televised meeting of the powerful Security Council, which usually meets strictly behind closed doors, offered an extraordinary glimpse into the intense pressure at the top of the Russian elite.

At one point, Putin told spy chief Sergei Naryshkin to be more forthright, prompting the official to blurt out that he backed the idea of Russia absorbing the regions before correcting himself to say he supported recognition.”

just read some bits translated of the speech that Putin just gave on russian tv and am now appropriately terrified. I had no idea he was like this. he says Ukraine was never a proper country, but not just Ukraine, he says that it was 'madness' that national republics were ever given the right to leave the Russian Empire.

just read some bits translated of the speech that Putin just gave on russian tv and am now appropriately terrified. I had no idea he was like this. he says Ukraine was never a proper country, but not just Ukraine, he says that it was 'madness' that national republics were ever given the right to leave the Russian Empire.

He's lost the plot.

I feel exactly the same.

I always had Putin down as a ruthless pragmatist who was basically rational. But reading parts of that speech, man, wtf. Feels like a mask off moment.

So Putin is talking of empires, well the Soviet Union anyhow.

Trouble is I don't think there is any way back once an empire has found itself in decline. I don't think there is any evidence from history of an empire having more than one peak.

The Soviet Union had its time, there is no going back.

So Putin is talking of empires, well the Soviet Union anyhow.

Trouble is I don't think there is any way back once an empire has found itself in decline. I don't think there is any evidence from history of an empire having more than one peak.

The Soviet Union had its time, there is no going back.
Does he want the Soviet union back then?

Back
Top Bottom