Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

The papers in the west report that no announcement will be made regarding storm shadows and the like. They will either be seen to come into play or not.

Do posters think they will get the go ahead?

It’s interesting to me that US news sources are much less likely to follow the Go Ukraine! narrative than European media.

Washington Post, New York Times and indeed CNN have provided some of the best, most objective war reporting thus far.

The papers in the west report that no announcement will be made regarding storm shadows and the like. They will either be seen to come into play or not.

Do posters think they will get the go ahead?
All they have to do is hint that they might make them available and Russia will move their aircraft further from the front line (which they’re already doing), which limits their operational ability and/or increases wear and tear on airframes and pilots.

The need for the west to ‘announce’ military aid and firmly telegraph what they are doing (and what they aren’t doing) baffles me. Let the fuckers worry and have to plan based on uncertainties. It’s mental to give them notice or announce that they aren’t going to cross certain ‘red lines’. None of the red lines have meant anything so far, other than making western leaders look like they are dancing on strings.

Russia has never boasted of what they get from Iran and North Korea, or what new stuff they are building and developing, they just escalate as they please without limit. Ukraine is fighting with one hand tied.

Why?

Ukraine, a state without nukes, has bombed the Kremlin, there are oil refinies burning so close to Moscow that you can see the smoke from Red Square, Ukraine has occupied an area of Russia proper the size of Cheshire, Shropshire, and Herefordshire for a month - and Russia has made these threats countless times, and had it's bluff called countless times, and yet you believe, or at least give credence to, this stuff.

Why?
I'm much more concerned about Russia's partly automated error ridden nuclear arsenal than I am anything Putin might threaten. More missiles flying about Russia in that context could lead to some proper shit.

We know that's not the reason you posted it though, don't we?

It's just one more example of your daily trawls for news articles favourable to Team Rape, in your attempt to ram your nose as far up Putin's shitter as it can possibly go.
i've often thought that one of the things that illustrates the freedom of the press in the West is the bottomless stream of news articles favourable to Russia that people can not only trawl through but exercise their right to post them on here. That wouldn't happen in Russia.

i've often thought that one of the things that illustrates the freedom of the press in the West is the bottomless stream of news articles favourable to Russia that people can not only trawl through but exercise their right to post them on here. That wouldn't happen in Russia.

Of course everyone is free to post whatever they like. Just like everyone else is free to question their motives, infer bad faith at the lack of explanations, and apply appropriate opprobrium and condescension as a result.

Where is that russian shell shortage we were assured about?
I don't think there was ever a possibility of a shell shortage, depending on your definition of "shortage". They have less than they want, but probably as much as they need. A barrel to fire them out of shortage, yes. Claimed kills of artillery have been trending downwards for a while, and the artillery in question is getting older and older. In particular, the more useful self-propelled units are near to hitting the bottom in terms of taking spares out of reserves. I suspect in terms of towed artillery the bottom may as well not exist for Ukraine - it's probably 8 years' worth at current rates. But there's quite a gulf in capability between towed and self propelled.

There's definitely less being fired at Ukraine. But Ukraine is in such dire straits that its still 5-10:1 against them.

Editing to add:. A few sources have commented on the appearance of the WW2 era 130mm towed artillery at the front. Notable in that Russia doesn't even manufacture shells for them, the entirety comes from NK and Iran.

Last edited:
I don't think there was ever a possibility of a shell shortage. A barrel to fire them out of shortage, yes. Claimed kills of artillery have been trending downwards for a while, and the artillery in question is getting older and older. In particular, the more useful self-propelled units are near to hitting the bottom in terms of taking spares out of reserves. I suspect in terms of towed artillery the bottom may as well not exist for Ukraine - it's probably 8 years' worth at current rates. But there's quite a gulf in capability between towed and self propelled.

There's definitely less being fired at Ukraine. But Ukraine is in such dire straits that its still 5-10:1 against them.
You've missed downwarddog's prognostications on the subject then

The abuse ramps up as your analysis, what their is of it, gets exposed as more right wing war mongering delusion. Remember your crowing about weapons deliveries a while back? Not helped have they?

Your call more more war is a disgrace. Your pathetic insults to any disagreement just shows you to be the little prick you are.

Well this isn't really worth responding to but I will, just to take advantage of the opportunity to be rude to you again.

Your consistent and fervent support for Putin and his rape gang, completely negates your criticism of anyone who disagrees with you and places you firmly at the bottom of the morality shit-heap. But that's been generally agreed here for a couple of years now.

And I'm a big prick.

Well this isn't really worth responding to but I will, just to take advantage of the opportunity to be rude to you again.

Your consistent and fervent support for Putin and his rape gang, completely negates your criticism of anyone who disagrees with you and places you firmly at the bottom of the morality shit-heap. But that's been generally agreed here for a couple of years now.

And I'm a big prick.
You are a little prick. Hence the bravado

Reactions: tim
Of course everyone is free to post whatever they like. Just like everyone else is free to question their motives, infer bad faith at the lack of explanations, and apply appropriate opprobrium and condescension as a result.
Sure however I think that illustrates your beef isn't with these articles that favour Russia that are published but the person who posts them.

I've been tempted to mention it for some time. The personal side of it has really come out over the past few months

Well criticism of the only poster on the thread who supports a regime that's raping and murdering civilians at will, will always seem personal. He's the one who usually starts the name calling though. See above with "little prick".

I must say I've read the whole thread and don't remember a post by TopCat that was in support of Russia (feel free to give examples). Plenty that's against Ukraine and NATO sure but a lot of us got through the Iraq wars without ever being accused of being on Saddam's side. Anything short of nuking Moscow is often treated with suspicion on this thread.

I must say I've read the whole thread and don't remember a post by TopCat that was in support of Russia (feel free to give examples). Plenty that's against Ukraine and NATO sure but a lot of us got through the Iraq wars without ever being accused of being on Saddam's side. Anything short of nuking Moscow is often treated with suspicion on this thread.

There's no doubt whatsoever what the general direction of his posting is. It's very clear from his many responses to anti-Putin/Russia posts, and his spamming of the thread with any news article that seems favourable to them.

He's been asked numerous times to clarify his position and has failed to do so.

He wants Russia to win. That's support for Russia.

There's no doubt whatsoever what the general direction of his posting is. It's very clear from his many responses to anti-Putin/Russia posts.

He's been asked numerous times to clarify his position and has failed to do so.

He wants Russia to win. That's support for Russia.
He wants an end to the war, a lot of us do. I don't recall any posts in support of Russia from him. None of us are obliged to have clear positions on the war, it's a messy business.

He wants an end to the war, a lot of us do. I don't recall any posts in support of Russia from him. None of us are obliged to have clear positions on the war, it's a messy business.

He wants an end to the war on Russia's terms.

The war could end tomorrow if Putin wanted it to. Just stop this shit and pull his troops out.

Ask TopCat if he thinks that should happen and why he's not advocating that action.

I think this tanky rubbish gives an idea of where he comes from:

I think if the Germans had invaded the UK they would have succeeded in subjugating the populace. However they turned right and attacked the USSR and fucked up. We still owe a debt imo.

The war could end tomorrow if Putin wanted it to. Just stop this shit and pull his troops out.

Ask TopCat if he thinks that should happen and why he's not advocating that action.
This is about the 3747th post saying putin could end the war tomorrow. Why not today? But could he really? If the war ends like that do you think he'd be in power in a month? And it's unlikely he'd be succeeded by a pacific president.

Oh, hang on a minute, there's fucking big different between the two wars, it was the NATO side that started the illegal Iraqi war, here it's Russia that started the illegal war.

TC's hatred of NATO gives him a blind spot when it comes to this very simple fact.

Well criticism of the only poster on the thread who supports a regime that's raping and murdering civilians at will, will always seem personal. He's the one who usually starts the name calling though. See above with "little prick".

All I see is a poster who wants to challenge the primary and widely accepted (without question, generally) Western narrative of the war as a counterpoint. Never seen any pro Putin stuff that I recall, I don't agree with a lot of it but it's useful for thinking to be challenged.

What does him advocating that action mean, though? I mean you might as well advocate that Donald Trump commit to a federal act guaranteeing abortion.

Meanwhile back in the world as it is, that article that you didn't read contains a telling sentence from the exhausted and demoralised Ukrainian soldiers:

"After three years of war, everything feels the same."

Putin is not going to concede defeat and withdraw any time soon, so what is it that you advocate right now? Three more years of the same? A few hundred thousand more dead soldiers, many of them conscripts?

I've said it before and will repeat it. People often make comparisons with WW2, but for me the apposite comparison is WW1. Pointless slaughter continues for years with nothing really changing, fronts moving one way then the other by a few kilometres as men are mown down in their thousands. Futility. Then eventually, with both sides utterly exhausted, one or other of them sues for peace.

Is that what you advocate? I can't see anything else on the horizon without some kind of serious engagement with Putin. Talking, not killing.

Back
Top Bottom