Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

It's looking grim. Kharkiv has been getting hammered.

In Ukraine's second largest city, airstrikes have become a daily occurrence as intense battles continue.

Russian troops have been pushing ahead with a ground offensive that opened a new front in northeastern Kharkiv region in recent days, putting further pressure on Kyiv's overstretched military.
Sky News link

Apparently thousands of people have been evacuated from Kharkiv Oblast:
Nearly 10,000 Evacuated in Ukraine's Kharkiv Region: Governor

40 civilians have been captured in a town in Kharkiv Oblast:
Sky News link

And tragically, at least 30 people are known to have died crossing the Tisza River to escape conscription:
Sky News link

• A divisive mobilisation law in Ukraine came into force on Saturday, as Kyiv struggles to boost troop numbers. The legislation, which was watered down from its original draft, will make it easier to identify every conscript in the country. It also provides incentives to soldiers, such as cash bonuses or money toward buying a house or car. Zelenskiy also signed two other laws Friday, allowing prisoners to join the army and increasing fines for draft dodgers fivefold.

Don't know about Euromaidan but :eek:

I don't fully understand it but the usa also claimed more waters recently.

don't fully understand it but the usa also claimed more waters recently.

The UK increased its territorial waters back in Thatcher’s time, I think just by increasing the set distance from the shoreline that was considered territory. This redefined sea areas that were previously classed as international waters, and led to conflict with Spanish and French fishermen, who were very much portrayed as villains in the press at the time (‘coming over here, stealing our fish’).

Grant Shapps being an idiot again.
View attachment 425543
Tbh it is believed this is true (30mm ammunition had been reported) but the US is being hyper cautious about announcing this because it’s quite a serious accusation with serious consequences. At the very least they are assisting Russia in such a way that Russia can focus on producing arms while China keeps them in other goods. Don’t know if this is idealistic support or just opportunism from China which is facing some economic difficulties and happy to be paid generously by a resource-rich Russia.

Tbh it is believed this is true (30mm ammunition had been reported) but the US is being hyper cautious about announcing this because it’s quite a serious accusation with serious consequences. At the very least they are assisting Russia in such a way that Russia can focus on producing arms while China keeps them in other goods. Don’t know if this is idealistic support or just opportunism from China which is facing some economic difficulties and happy to be paid generously by a resource-rich Russia.
Profiteering in wartime? Never!! I think the USA needs to cut its own leaks into the Russian wartime economy before they go accusing China. I would suspect, given the usual way the Chinese government operates, that any official sales into Russia aren't controversial. But they probably have a very light hand with enterprising profiteers that aren't the CPC.

It was more about Shapps blabbing his mouth off without consulting an adult in the room first. He's managed to make Chris Grayling look competent.

Russia says it will strike British targets if UK weapons are used to hit its territory
(again)
Taken at face value, it means Donbas and Crimea aren't part of Russia like they claim (since both have been hit with UK weapons).
The consequence would be that a British-provided export-version Storm Shadow fired from some jury-rigged hunk'o'junk left over from the Soviet era piloted by the UAF would now be comparable to a strike made by a full-capability Storm Shadow, fired from a British Typhoon or F-35 piloted by a RAF pilot.

I think Russia understands this dynamic perfectly well. Mrs. Zakharova's statement hence should probably be more understood as troll fodder than anything else.

Russia says it will strike British targets if UK weapons are used to hit its territory
(again)
Taken at face value, it means Donbas and Crimea aren't part of Russia like they claim (since both have been hit with UK weapons).
The consequence would be that a British-provided export-version Storm Shadow fired from some jury-rigged hunk'o'junk left over from the Soviet era piloted by the UAF would now be comparable to a strike made by a full-capability Storm Shadow, fired from a British Typhoon or F-35 piloted by a RAF pilot.

I think Russia understands this dynamic perfectly well. Mrs. Zakharova's statement hence should probably be more understood as troll fodder than anything else.

Russia in 'full of shit', shocker.

Surprised TopCat hasn't been back to update us about the Russian offensive against Kharkiv. He was quite keen when it was Ukrainians being slaughtered by their invaders, why you so quiet now?

As a not unrelated aside, Sweden has just given a bunch of their Archer Artillery Systems to Ukraine. Seems to be working. Not altogether surprising, seeing as it was custom-designed to fuck Russian artillery.

Vladimir Putin is ready to halt the war in Ukraine with a ceasefire that recognises the current battlefield lines, four Russian sources have told the Reuters news agency.

Three of the sources claimed that the Russian leader had expressed frustration about what he views as Western-backed attempts to hinder ceasefire negotiations.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has repeatedly ruled out the possibility of a ceasefire, going so far as to sign a decree in 2022 that formally declared any talks with Mr Putin "impossible".
He reiterated this view at the beginning of the year, saying any pause in fighting would "play into [Russia's] hands" and "might crush us afterwards".

Both Mr Putin and Mr Zelenskyy also rejected a proposal put forward by French President Emmanuel Macron earlier this month, for a temporary ceasefire to be held during the Olympic Games, between 26 July-11 August.

not seen this reported elsewhere in british press which seems strange to me...the source is Reuters

-this is exactly what i said would happen " a ceasefire that recognises the current battlefield lines"...maybe the odd little bit of territory here or there within the declared annexed borders

not seen this reported elsewhere in british press which seems strange to me...the source is Reuters

-this is exactly what i said would happen " a ceasefire that recognises the current battlefield lines"...maybe the odd little bit of territory here or there within the declared annexed borders

Reuters only came out with that around 15 hours ago, the Independent also covers it. BTW part of this is Putin says Zelensky must go, as he's been president for 5 years and not been re-elected, cos of the war that Putin has waged, ffs. He seems to think that he's in control of the situation, he's not. The Kharkiv offense has failed with an astonishing loss of life on both side but on the Russian side it's made the Somme look like a walk in the park. The USA aid package is now rolling in, complimented by a load of European gear that was waiting on the US to be released, so no wonder Putin is attempting to shout fainites right now. Huge amounts of death on both sides, but of course Russia can't 'win', it's not possible to win a war of occupation such as this, Russia lost in the first week, all the death and destruction that has followed has been to sooth the ego of a fascist dictator, and that's now reaching a bloody and drawn-out denouement.

Last edited:
Yeah so yesterdays news cycle. Seems like a major story to me. Independent is owned by Alexander Lebedev so not surprising

It is odd it's not in more places, but really it's nothing that's really that 'new' either. Putin's been looking for an out for ages, he knows he's fucked, it's just a case of how many more lives he's happy to sacrifice before it stops, sadly I think the answer is 'fucking loads'.

It is odd it's not in more places, but really it's nothing that's really that 'new' either. Putin's been looking for an out for ages, he knows he's fucked, it's just a case of how many more lives he's happy to sacrifice before it stops, sadly I think the answer is 'fucking loads'.
It is new. When was the last time Putin publicly proposed a ceasefire?

Back
Top Bottom