Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

I've no doubt fascists have influence in some units, and are indeed probably to one degree or another still in Azov, but it's worth noting that the Brigade passed its NeoNazi heyday in the mid-2010s, was incorporated into the National Guard, was "officially" de-radicalised (for whatever that's worth) and as a unit publicly denounced fascism as a "tireless need to exterminate those who dared to be free" in March 2022. Exactly what that adds up to and how far it can be trusted seems to be heavily debated, but it's not as axiomatic or simple as is sometimes made out afaics. Again though, I'm not arguing whether there's active fascist groupings in the Ukrainian military, I'm rather arguing there's fascist groupings in every military. Including Britain's.

I'm not saying that you were arguing that there aren't fascist groups in the Ukrainian military. It would be a pointless task in any case. You were saying that there were no bespoke units since the beginning of the war however both Kraken, the 3rd Assault and others were formed by Azov members late summer 2022.

Azov's history has become contested only since the war. It doesn't particularly matter that it isn't neo-Nazi, it's a far-right Nationalist group whose sizeable armed membership cosplays many elements of fascism. The Right Sector are direct descendants of Bandera .

I'd agree with you that there are fascist groupings in every military, Germany would be a better example in Western Europe. However, the size, political maturity, connections and normalisation of Azov and the Right Sector are head and shoulders above anywhere else.

Not if you're going to approach it that way, no.

If you look at it as a smaller, weaker nation being attacked by a larger, more powerful neighbour that does not recognize its autonomy and considers its independence a threat, the equivalence is considerably clearer.
no.

I'm not saying that you were arguing that there aren't fascist groups in the Ukrainian military. It would be a pointless task in any case. You were saying that there were no bespoke units since the beginning of the war however both Kraken, the 3rd Assault and others were formed by Azov members late summer 2022.

Azov's history has become contested only since the war. It doesn't particularly matter that it isn't neo-Nazi, it's a far-right Nationalist group whose sizeable armed membership cosplays many elements of fascism. The Right Sector are direct descendants of Bandera .

I'd agree with you that there are fascist groupings in every military, Germany would be a better example in Western Europe. However, the size, political maturity, connections and normalisation of Azov and the Right Sector are head and shoulders above anywhere else.

so just to clarify this is the reason you think Russia was justified in starting the current war in Ukraine.

denazification of the country ?

:hmm:

Head and shoulders above Wagner at its recent peak?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ax^
so just to clarify this is the reason you think Russia was justified in starting the current war in Ukraine.

denazification of the country ?

:hmm:

I know you like to join in on the politics threads however, I would recommend that in order to get the best or at least a fuller experience that you might want to not just write posts but also read what the person you are replying to has previously written ?

Head and shoulders above Wagner at it's recent peak?
They're a truly horrific group of particularly brutal war criminals.

Malian armed forces and foreign fighters apparently from the Russia-linked Wagner Group have summarily executed and forcibly disappeared several dozen civilians in Mali’s central region since December 2022, Human Rights Watch said today. They also destroyed and looted civilian property and allegedly tortured detainees in an army camp.

“As tensions between Russia's Defense Ministry and the Wagner group escalate in southwest Russia, both sides should take all necessary measures to avoid harming the general population. Recent atrocities by Russian forces in Ukraine and Syria and by Wagner forces in Ukraine, Mali, and the Central African Republic raise serious concerns about abuses in Russia.”

I know you like to join in on the politics threads however, I would recommend that in order to get the best or at least a fuller experience that you might want to not just write posts but also read what the person you are replying to has previously written ?

I'll ask you the same question in a few pages when you give a history of the Azov brigade once again

:)

Last edited:
They're a truly horrific group of particularly brutal war criminals.

They chose their name as Wagner was Hitler’s favourite composer, ffs. Still, fash in the Azov, etc.

but all the fash groups are now absorbed into the russia military

it is completely different to the Azov

damn ukrainian nazies

Head and shoulders above Wagner at it's recent peak?

Brief answer Wagner was/is a PMC whose motive was/is profit Didn't recruit on any ideological basis imo although as with it may have had fascists in it, and not aligned politically to any group, unlike Azov where there is a clear political philosophy to buy into.
Utkin , whose photo is always wheeled out , was one of the founders of Wagner definitely embraced elements of Nazism , he apparently use to sign documents with an SS. His photo is always wheeled out . I might have an article on him bookmarked that I'll look for tomorrow. However, I haven't seen any evidence myself that the rest of their leadership shared his views or politicised recruits.

Brief answer Wagner was/is a PMC whose motive was/is profit Didn't recruit on any ideological basis imo although as with it may have had fascists in it, and not aligned politically to any group, unlike Azov where there is a clear political philosophy to buy into.
Utkin , whose photo is always wheeled out , was one of the founders of Wagner definitely embraced elements of Nazism , he apparently use to sign documents with an SS. His photo is always wheeled out . I might have an article on him bookmarked that I'll look for tomorrow. However, I haven't seen any evidence myself that the rest of their leadership shared his views or politicised recruits.
If your country has been illegally invaded, your wife and children are being raped, your home plundered and family members murdered in front of your eyes, I don't think it makes that much of a difference if they like to wear Nazi badges or not. It all amounts to the same horrific catalogue of war crimes.

Reactions: Ax^

PMC - The US and Russia uses them to do their dirty-work, they are de facto branches of their government, i.e. they can't operate without their government's say-so, (or else you private jet falls from the sky). They are not the A-Team, they are part of their government's armary.

And of course Uktin's picture gets rolled out, he had SS tattoos on his body, ffs, he was 100% Nazi and fan of the Third Reich. Pretty sure that editor doesn't have similar tats, in spite of the earlier outrageous claims of his support for them cunts.

damn evil west and nato for repeatably showing the picture of the fella with nazi tattoos hanging out with putin

it just self expression ..

nothing to do with the manage nationalism policies of the 00's and the reaction to the Euromaidan demonstrations

damn ukraine nazies

I get the argument I think, that if the lines aren't going to change then 'we' should avoid the needless additional deaths. And in that case Ukraine's supporters (USA and others including more relevantly on here the UK) should encourage the Ukrainian government to jack it in. But the governments of the US and UK and others promised to back them and Ukranians still fight.

Call it jingoism if you want, but there's a clear wrong actor here, and a country trying to survive. It was always going to be an uncertain outcome, and pretty soon it became clear it would be drawn out. But I think to wring your hands and betray that promise is a mistake and conceited.

The fucked up thing is that people are fighting for their and their families' lives and freedom and people are bored, indifferent and making 'wise' remarks.

I'm not a military strategist, but damn right I take sides for the little it's worth. Do you not think Ukrainians want peace and normality?

I get the argument I think

No, you don't.

Do you not think Ukrainians want peace and normality?

Yes they absolutely do. What they do not want is to be any part of Russia, let alone a sub-par part of Russia, which is what Putin is promising for them and all that any negotiations will end with.

Ukraine was (slowly) moving west, this shit takes time, but that was the direction of travel. Russia is a kleptocracy which promises its citizens much but gives them fuck all, a couple of them get super-yachts, the other nearly 200m people live in abject poverty and that will never change under the current regime.

A large, (size much bigger than the UK, population almost the same as the UK's) neighbour, where a huge proportion of the population has links to Russia becoming wealthy and enjoying freedoms, that's too much for Putin and his band of thieves, cos that kind of shit can cause discontent in their subjugated population, so needs to be stamped out.

Come up with bollocks like Nazis and satanists as your reasoning and off you go.

Ukraine and its people are fighting for their country and their survival. Russia does not want to take it under their wing and look after it, they want to destroy it.

No, you don't.

Yes they absolutely do. What they do not want is to be any part of Russia, let alone a sub-par part of Russia, which is what Putin is promising for them and all that any negotiations will end with.

Ukraine was (slowly) moving west, this shit takes time, but that was the direction of travel. Russia is a kleptocracy which promises its citizens much but gives them fuck all, a couple of them get super-yachts, the other nearly 200m people live in abject poverty and that will never change under the current regime.

A large, (size much bigger than the UK, population almost the same as the UK's) neighbour, where a huge proportion of the population has links to Russia becoming wealthy and enjoying freedoms, that's too much for Putin and his band of thieves, cos that kind of shit can cause discontent in their subjugated population, so needs to be stamped out.

Come up with bollocks like Nazis and satanists as your reasoning and off you go.

Ukraine and its people are fighting for their country and their survival. Russia does not want to take it under their wing and look after it, they want to destroy it.
Which is what I said you total muppet. Fuck off.

hmm Humberto not sure if it was deliberate or not but you post kinda gives 2 different angles on the argument

do i think the people of Ukraine want peace and Normality aye i do

but like any nation do they want to give away their identify and freedoms just for a new normality under russian control

i think not and i'd support them as long as they are willing to keep fighting

hmm Humberto not sure if it was deliberate or not but you post kinda give 2 different angles on the argument

do i think the people of Ukraine want peace and Normality aye i do

but like any nation do they want to give away their identify and freedoms just for a new normality under russian control

i think not and i'd support them as long as they are willing to keep fighting

Well that's what I just said :rolleyes:

Ukraine does not take orders from the US or UK, they are resigned to the fluctuating levels of supports they may receive and are prepared to give it their best shot if they have to go 100% alone. This is an existential threat to their country, it is not a game.

Fuck knows what you are wibbling about lost the thread and Man feelings though.

Back
Top Bottom