Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Reform UK Party (latest nigel farage vehicle) is it to be laughed at or not

That's true. Le Pen has worked hard to turn her mob into something more presentable, controlling messaging, candidate vetting and bringing younger people in and upfront....If the old farts at Reform manage the same it's a whole other level. But the swivel eye vote in Britain is around this high watermark I reckon.

But is reform anything without Farage?

Reform may or may not be - but it would be incredibly foolish not to recognise the ground for the hard right is very fertile.

The last 25 years have seem the hard right grow in electoral power from the BNP, UKIP, Brexit Party and now Reform, each doing better than their predecessor.
The nature of these parties means that there is always the possibility they implode, fall out, break up, but that ground remains and, in the absence of any class politics, it is expanding.

I don’t think the man frog will be able to play nicely with others and the whole Reform thing will implode within two years.

But very scared I’m completely wrong and in the absence of the Tories they pick up some by elections.

Is anybody else a bit worried about Nigel Farage’s personal safety? Does he get police protection as a party leader? He keeps being targeted by protesters who seem to be able to get close by, like today in the Reform press conference or previously those who have thrown things at him. He usually brushes incidents off, but there is a pattern of threat here. It should be taken seriously.

Is anybody else a bit worried about Nigel Farage’s personal safety? Does he get police protection as a party leader? He keeps being targeted by protesters who seem to be able to get close by, like today in the Reform press conference or previously those who have thrown things at him. He usually brushes incidents off, but there is a pattern of threat here. It should be taken seriously.

Are you feeling lucky, punk?

poor dear should start flying in light aircraft to each venue to ensure his safety :hmm:

poor dear should start flying in light aircraft to each venue to ensure his safety :hmm:
If the Lib Dems really want to show their determination to become the fresh, alternative force in British politics then they need to set up anti-aircraft batteries around the country and human cannonball Davey into the clouds whenever Farage flies overhead

Nope. More worried about returning banned posters and their concerns for the safety of far right fuckers.

I'm simultaneously appalled and relieved that Reform won 4 seats last night. Appalled they won any seats at all, but relieved it was only 4 after the BBC's initial estimates after the polls closed was that they would get 12 or 13. Glad they didn't win that many, but winning four means Reform is now entitled to 'short money' to help cover their expenses.

How do we see Reform growing from here? Other than the protest aspect of their vote. What can they offer people. The being tough on immigration thing only works if they don't hold power. But what do they offer beyond this to achieve that greater power by influence if not seats?

I don't think Reform in it's current guise are the threat from the right. But they pave a way for something more popularist, red brown in nature as Labour or any centralist govt fail to deal with Capitlism, fall out from climate change. Maybe they'll pivot but it won't be Farage. He'll be done by 2030 or overshaddowed by someone who can actually capture the inevitable frustration and anger of younger people in particular. Whilst centralists panic and flap around.

Just brain dumping but feel free to shoot some info at me or something.

I wonder if Farage will bother to turn up to surgeries or if he'll spend all his time on TikTok.

This is another aspect. Confronted with the day to day issues of his constituents, lack of opportunity, housing etc, what is his tac. Mind you, it's not unknown for MPs just coasting along doing fuck all but retainomg their seats nonetheless. A self styled resergent demands something more though.

I seem to remember that the IWCA predicted that the threat from the far right would come to take the form that Farage and co. now represent.

They're a far greater threat than the BNP was between 2000 and 2010, or whenever it was that they imploded, with a much wider appeal and little of the problematic baggage.

I'm simultaneously appalled and relieved that Reform won 4 seats last night. Appalled they won any seats at all, but relieved it was only 4 after the BBC's initial estimates after the polls closed was that they would get 12 or 13. Glad they didn't win that many, but winning four means Reform is now entitled to 'short money' to help cover their expenses.

It's 5 now.

I seem to remember that the IWCA predicted that the threat from the far right would come to take the form that Farage and co. now represent.

They're a far greater threat than the BNP was between 2000 and 2010, or whenever it was that they imploded, with a much wider appeal and little of the problematic baggage.

If aimed at me, I'm not being complacent. *The BNP as you say did not have the wider appeal Reform seem to. But how much of that will be sustained beyond the disguntled Tories protest vote. What answers have they got for anything. Boats and cutting taxes, anti woke stuff is gonna date real quick.

*I'm aware however I say this from the relative privelege of being an urban dwelling white straight cis bloke.

If aimed at me, I'm not being complacent. *The BNP as you say did not have the wider appeal Reform seem to. But how much of that will be sustained beyond the disguntled Tories protest vote. What answers have they got for anything. Boats and cutting taxes, anti woke stuff is gonna date real quick.

*I'm aware however I say this from the relative privelege of being an urban dwelling white straight cis bloke.
Wasn't aimed at you. And the disgruntled Tory vote is here to stay. However, that Labour was unable to recover the 'red wall' vote tells us all we need to know. Those who switched from Labour to Tory in 2019 appear to have mostly switched to Reform when they didn't stay with the Tories. Both centrist Labour and the Labour left now appeal mainly to the relatively well-educated big city professional populations, and large swathes of beleagured small town working class Britain continue to feel alienated. Meanwhile, the traditional left outside labour is nowhere, and seems set to remain there.

We now have a Labour government with a massive parliamentary majority but only modest mass support which is guaranteed to fail in most of its aims, at a time when the radical right appears to be getting its act together. Whether the latter can do so in Britain remains to be seen, but the potential for a right wing populist movement on the European model has never been greater. Europe-wide, It all lines up nicely for the big battles over the coming mass waves of refugees as climate change starts to bite.

Back
Top Bottom