Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2023

WhyLikeThis

Something, something, something
Bazball vs a superb Australian team.

It going to be dramatic. Can England’s aggressive batting knock Cummins, Hazelwood and Boland off their kilter?

It’s weird, I don’t hate the Aussie side. Cummins seems a sound bloke. I kinda want Boland to do well. I’m disturbingly warming to “Davey”. WTF is with that?

Can Ben stokes bowl his overs? Is Mo going to be seduced by Bazball, not get totally spanked?

Does England need 90mph+ to win the series? Who do you sacrifice to get Wood in? How much longer can Crawley fail?

It’s going to be a feast.

What’s your starting XI for Edgbaston?

Duckett
Brook
Pope
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Foakes
Ali
Robinson
Broad
Anderson

It going to be dramatic. Can England’s aggressive batting knock Cummins, Hazelwood and Boland off their kilter?

It’s weird, I don’t hate the Aussie side. Cummins seems a sound bloke. I kinda want Boland to do well. I’m disturbingly warming to “Davey”. WTF is with that?

Can Ben stokes bowl his overs? Is Mo going to be seduced by Bazball, not get totally spanked?

Does England need 90mph+ to win the series? Who do you sacrifice to get Wood in? How much longer can Crawley fail?

Duckett
Brook
Pope
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Foakes
Ali
Robinson
Broad
Anderson
Foakes is not in the squad...

My starting 11, like yours, can't happen because Foakes isn't in the 16.

So we know Crawley will play. Only issue then is the seamers. If Stokes can't bowl, playing Mark Wood as the third seamer is a risk, especially if they get after Moeen, which they might. But I want the pace that Wood brings. My starting eleven from the 16 chosen for the squad won't happen, but it would be:

Duckett
Brook
Pope
Root
Lawrence
Stokes
Bairstow
Ali
Robinson
Wood
Anderson

Broad could play instead of Wood. Wood won't play every game anyway, so that might depend on the conditions. If it looks like a green seamer, then go with Broad. But given all the sun we've had, it should be a hard wicket, in which case, you want the pace of Wood. Aiming for Travis Head's head.

Team as expected. They've gone for Broad over Wood, as I thought they would. Moeen is in.

Broad over Wood is probably wise, but I'm a bit sad not to see Wood in action.

Yeah I'd have preferred Wood but I've no issue with Broad being picked.

Does make you think all that stuff about wanting fast pitches etc is going to turn out to be a bit of pre-series trolling doesn't it.

Really don't understand why Foakes isn't playing. Saw someone say it's because Stokes and Bairstow are mates so there's no room for him, which if true is just stupid.

Duckett
Brook
Pope
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Foakes
Ali
Robinson
Broad
Anderson

I hope it’s dramatic & the dramatic moments largely go England’s way. However…

I was very impressed with the Aussies in the WTC. They won almost every session and throttled India from the off. Pre-Ashes nerves have reduced me from an air of supreme confidence a couple of weeks ago to a quivering wreck now! Though not much has seemingly changed in the respective squads.

The one obvious change in England’s is Moeen - who I think will get clattered. Slightly concerned too with the lack of pace an attack devoid of Wood.

As for the likeability of the Australian team - I’d agree that by and large they do seem a decent bunch, esp Cummins (who has been deemed too ‘woke’ by many old school fair dinkum, true blue, hard nosed ex-players 😂). The two exceptions for me are Smith and Warner. I respect their talents, esp the former’s but nothing has altered to change my mind that they are a pair of bell ends…

C’mon England

I also don't have a VPN. I watched the WTF on crichd.tv It worked very well, but as with all streams, it works well until it doesn't. Hopefully will continue to be good.

Really don't understand why Foakes isn't playing. Saw someone say it's because Stokes and Bairstow are mates so there's no room for him, which if true is just stupid.
That sounds incredibly unlikely to be true. The choice was either to substitute Foakes for Bairstow and keep Crawley or to bring Bairstow back as a batter only, drop Crawley and move someone else up to open. They chose the former. I don't agree with it at all, but the cricketing decision is based on wanting to keep Crawley.

I don't agree with the decision to leave Foakes out but what they've done doesn't need conspiracy theories to explain it does it? It's pretty obvious why they'd want to include a player who was playing better than any batsman in the world at the point he got injured.

Putting out an early request Petcha littlebabyjesus to anyone with a free easy to use stream tomorrow. I don't have a VPN.

This one's usually good. But literally starts when the first ball starts usually so you dont get all the buildup

or this is my backup but is more spammy

Oh forgot, this one's good too

Hazlewood in for Starc. That's what I guessed they would do. It does leave Aus with a very waggly tail, though, with Nathan Lyon at nine.

Back
Top Bottom