Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

Yep, that was one of the most ruthlessly dominant days cricket I've seen England dish out to Australia in my lifetime. Great stuff :D

we did exactly what embree says, bowled line and length, kept it tight and waited for the mistakes. Bresnan won't make the headlines i doubt but he did great today, really kept the pressure on and it was good to see Jimmy get some rewards

i really doubt the Aussie bowlers would have made quite as much of the cloud cover as our guys did, they just aren't as disciplined as we were today

I am prepared to accept my reservations about Bresnan for this game were wrong - with the proviso that I've always trusted the Andys to pick the right team :)

It's worth remembering that there have been days when our attack have failed to make the most of ideal 'English' conditions - ie a little juice in the pitch, cloud cover, a touch of green - so it's not just a case of turning up and waiting for the wickets to fall. The discipline was fantastic to see, barely a loose one all innings and the Australians simply didn't have the patience to wait things out.

The thing about Bresnan is that he's a good bowler who will never be great. Why not get a younger player with more potential in the side, such as Shazad?

The thing about Bresnan is that he's a good bowler who will never be great. Why not get a younger player with more potential in the side, such as Shazad?

Which was exactly what I thought when I heard the team, but fair do's - I was completely wrong as cut price Fred did great. I don't think Bresnan is going to be around for the next 50 tests or owt, but he gave control which is a commodity much underrated when you have others taking wickets.

btw, looking through the series averages, I see Colly has the most catches of any England outfielder - 7. Worth considering when we assess his worth to the team

Another thought - there have been 55 instances of all ten wickets falling to catches in Test cricket, but I wonder how many of those were all catches behind square? 6 for the keeper, two in the slips and two for gully. Pretty extraordinary really

Another thought - there have been 55 instances of all ten wickets falling to catches in Test cricket, but I wonder how many of those were all catches behind square? 6 for the keeper, two in the slips and two for gully. Pretty extraordinary really

Aye, it would be a fucker to find out as well I reckon... Interesting stat that.

Sure I remember a test where Jack Russell claimed all ten either by catches or stumpings... Could be wrong though, may have been a county game.

btw, looking through the series averages, I see Colly has the most catches of any England outfielder - 7. Worth considering when we assess his worth to the team

He's always been a brilliant fielder, in fact a really classy performer allround. I don't think Collingwood really has been given the reputation he deserves as a huge talent.

A sign that the bowlers hit their length and the batsmen were impatient.

Sure I remember a test where Jack Russell claimed all ten either by catches or stumpings... Could be wrong though, may have been a county game.

Nope, no keeper has ever claimed all ten in Tests. Russell managed six v Australia at the MCG in 1990 and six v SA at Joburg in 1995

Wasim Bari, Ian Smith, Ridley Jacobs and Bob Taylor hold the Test record with seven in an innings

First class record stands at 9 by a keeper

A sign that the bowlers hit their length and the batsmen were impatient.

Apparently Sky showed some graphic demonstrating that of the ten wickets, only Hilfenhaus actually needed to play at the ball. The other nine were all missing the stumps. While a couple, such as Hussey's, were in Geoff Boycott's infamous Corridor of Uncertainty with sufficient slight movement to take the edge, others just didn't need to be played at at all. Hughes should never be allowed to open in first class cricket again, he's shocking, a number five at best. If Australia could find a proper opener or two they could move Watson down and utilise his bowling more while protecting Ponting's failing eyes from the new ball. As it is, aside from the injured and aging Katich, there appears to be no decent opening bat in Australia at the moment.

my thoughts have always been that bowlers win matches.Anybody on here that is concentrating on how bad we aussies are,are doing your bowlers a disservice.Our batters have done well against every attack in the world except the poms.Prime example yesterday,your guys bowled middle/off consistently with a bit of swing and went thru us like a dose of salts.Our guys bowled anywhere but middle/off and thats the result.I think your bowlers would rip thru any team in the world at the moment and good luck to them.Also you people on here would have to admit our batsmen are all world class on their day

my thoughts have always been that bowlers win matches.Anybody on here that is concentrating on how bad we aussies are,are doing your bowlers a disservice.Our batters have done well against every attack in the world except the poms.Prime example yesterday,your guys bowled middle/off consistently with a bit of swing and went thru us like a dose of salts.Our guys bowled anywhere but middle/off and thats the result.I think your bowlers would rip thru any team in the world at the moment and good luck to them.Also you people on here would have to admit our batsmen are all world class on their day

England have a good bowling side at the moment but, sorry, your lot are still shit. 88 all out against Pakistan a few months ago, remember. 127 all out against Pakistan back in January too.

Back
Top Bottom