Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

Collingwood playing a fucking awful shot is hardly Anderson's fault. Sending out a nightwatchman was stupid anyway when next man in is in better form than anyone else

Hmm...

Lack of killer instinct with the ball and a lack of determination with the bat in the first innings. Add Johnson to that and it amounts to a deserved win by Australia.

fairly quiet here boys????whats happened to all the chat then???

Ha.

300 partnership Bell/Prior tomorrow, then.

Not completely impossible. But highly unlikely. Well done Australia – England's batting has failed this match, couldn't cope with the WACA conditions.

Shame. I'd love it if more grounds were like the Waca. The Oval used to be a bit like it, but has got slower and slower over the years. Hard bouncy wickets always make for good cricket, imo.

The WACA has had a fair bit of work done in the last 5 years to bring it back up to its original glory.Its always been that fucking hard a cat couldnt scratch it.The curator has been there 5 years now and has done a good job i think.Also Mitch Johnson and Mike Hussey want to do well in front of their home crowd

I want to see them struggle to beat us. A belligerent 30 from Anderson and a fluid 70 - 80 from Bell.....and a piss take 50 from Swann.

I want to see them struggle to beat us. A belligerent 30 from Anderson and a fluid 70 - 80 from Bell.....and a piss take 50 from Swann.

you will be lucky to get thru the first session.Perth is two and a half hours behind us so it starts at 12.30 pm our time.Down the pub for lunch and watch the first session there.Fully expect to be home at 3pm,half cut and happy with the win.

This hasn't been as bad a batting wicket as England's scores suggest. In fact, getting the 20 Aussie wickets for 570 isn't such a bad effort. But even the best bating units can fail collectively on occasion – just look at what's happened to India at Centurion.

England can bounce back – I had Australia winning at Perth anyway.

This hasn't been as bad a batting wicket as England's scores suggest. In fact, getting the 20 Aussie wickets for 570 isn't such a bad effort. But even the best bating units can fail collectively on occasion – just look at what's happened to India at Centurion.

The pitch looked very green at the start of day one, dunno about the rest of the days.

I pretty much entirely agree with this. Notwithstanding a poor bowling plan to Hussey, we didn't do too badly in either of Australia's innings. We bowled them out twice, only a couple of players got runs - Hussey twice, Johnson, Haddin and Watson once each. Everyone else got nothing really.

The problem, pretty self evidently, has been our innings. Johnson's rediscovery of line and length hasn't helped but the failure to cope with the nature of the pitch has stuffed us. Not knowing when to leave, playing with an angled bat when the WACA demands either a perfectly straight or horizontal bat, it has betrayed a dearth of experience of this particular type of pitch. It is in no way a 'bad' pitch, there are runs to be had here, the bounce is true and even. We have simply lacked the competencies to play the pitch.

No surprise in hindsight (and indeed foresight had I not got carried away with Adelaide), Perth is Australia's trump card, the one type of pitch where they have vastly more experience than anyone in the world bar possibly South Africa. It's the quintessential Australian pitch in excelsis, one that isn't really found at any of the other Aussie test venues thankfully. It's a very good Test pitch, wickets available if you bowl correctly and locate the right length and runs in it for anyone who gets the hang of it. Sadly, we've not been very good at that.

Yep, agree with all that. It's a test of technique, and not surprising that Bell is the England batsman who's looked best so far. It is a true pitch on which you can confidently leave on length, as Hussey showed. England shouldn't be too tough on themselves, though. Even Eastern Australians struggle at the waca.

Absolutely - think it was Vic Marks the other day who referred to locals referring disparagingly to 'Eastern States shots'. Certainly the angled bat of Clarke when he played on was a cardinal sin there - straight bat or the cut, hook and pull. Nothing else! Can't remember who it was but read some ex Aussie player saying how Mark Taylor would leave the ball on length there even if they were straight. The 'ooohs' from the slips as the ball passed over his stumps soon subsided once they realised what was going on!

crikey. thought i~d check out KP´s legendary twitter feed.

*what* a cock. ycch. namedropping, shocking taste in movies, total ignorance of how shit he is at playing cricket for a country that will never accept such a tosspot, however many lions he gets tattooed on his saffa skin...

http://twitter.com/kevinpp24

read it n weep.

on the bright side, that was a shocking drop from Ponting. His eyes have gone

has had an x-ray on his finger after he spooned that catch up - not confirmed if he'll miss the rest of the series

disastrous news for England - what will we do without his crap batting and rubbish field placings?

Embree just said that the waca is a good pitch, despite England getting skittled on it. He's admitted that the waca is a fair test of technique and that England have failed that test. That seems pretty fair to me. Lack of grace would have involved moaning that it was too bouncy.

It's been a great pitch. A contest of bat and ball, with Australia winning both battles. I hate dead wickets.

lol. embree you make bill lawrie and the chappells look the model of grace in defeat. an achievement.

there are shades of grey in the winners and losers, room for criticism in both

Ponting's batting has largely been shit this series, his eyes look gone and that muffed slip catch provides more evidence for it. His captaincy is rank at times

there are shades of grey in the winners and losers, room for criticism in both

Ponting's batting has largely been shit this series, his eyes look gone and that muffed slip catch provides more evidence for it. His captaincy is rank at times

Who replaces him, though? The only batsman who's had a worse series is Clarke, who looks all at sea.

I really don't understand why the captain has to be the best player. Surely you want the best tactician?

Back
Top Bottom