Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

I think we should bring in Micheal Klinger for Katitch and Steve Smith for Doherty.Couple of names for you to look up.
Smith we know about - he played for the aussies at Lords V pakistan. terrific young prospect, decent leggy, but not the finished article yet. Hughes also looks nailed-on for Perth.
How does a crushing, ballsqueezing, arsekicking, emphatic hammering feel, btw?:p

except Sydney has always been the one most suited for the spinners and we have the greatest living Englishman, Graeme Swann, for that. I really hope we break them completely, after Adelaide I want 4-0. Do what they did to us for so many years - boot on throat and kick them repeatedly in the bollocks until the very end. Then smile, shake hands and go home with the Ashes. No pity, no let up, no 'oh isn't it a shame they're not what they were'. Just keep kicking them when they're down.
LIKE! :D

Dropping players then calling them up again the next match. Doesn't sound very healthy to me.

I vote for bringing Warne back :D

getting flogged by the poms is a rare event in my lifetime,i am still a little stunned,however the best side won and thats all there is to it.We have to try and salvage something out of it that will be a positive for the next test.What that is,i dont know but too many changes cant be good.It may be the jolt we need to get back to the reality of young blood needs to be nurtured over a period of 3-4 years not months

So you may be up for fighting for the 2016 ashes is that what you're saying?
indeed,this series looks pretty well fucked to me and i make no bones about it.After two tests our attack has been exposed as second rate and the batsmen have not stood up to some excellent bowling.Do you think Rod Marsh may have done some good with the way England are going now in his time there?

He's all over the shop is Marsh - i think he def played a role the long term comeback of england, in terms of what the expected roles are and how the people attempting to fill them should act. Marsh, is, like ponting, someone i really want hate - but can't. Ponting esp, he ruined my night by being so gracious, so open and so...nice...:mad:

Marsh may have been part of the story but only part of it. Central contracts, more professional backroom staff, proper planning etc etc etc also helped.

Australia seem to be basing their current selection on England in the 1980s and 1990s

As for Ponting - when he stops showing dissent to umpires I'll start giving him some credit for his honest persona off the field

Planning's good. Luck comes into it too. England didn't plan Graeme Swann's coming of age any more than Australia planned Shane Warne.

As for Ponting - when he stops showing dissent to umpires I'll start giving him some credit for his honest persona off the field

I find his dissent quite endearing too. It's honest dissent. He almost certainly took that catch off Cook cleanly, and he was right, I think, to ask the umpire why he wouldn't trust his eyes.

Planning's good. Luck comes into it too. England didn't plan Graeme Swann's coming of age any more than Australia planned Shane Warne.

No, but they've been actively developing young players for years. Australia had a squad more or less set in stone for the best part of a decade. Where was there for players to develop TO? There was no younger generation coming through because there was no opportunity to play for the country, and it seems to have caused their whole development system to atrophy.

Disclaimer: I basically know fuck all about how Australian cricket is run.

Back
Top Bottom