Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

Australia's problem is the inability to bowl...before they could intimidate a team with a team sheet that included McGrath, Lee and Warne. Now they can't. The batting isn't that bad they've simply been out played - it wasn't so long ago Peterson looked shit, Strauss looked out of touch and Bell was going to be booted out.

Form is temporary, class is permanent and Aus have the batting talent. What they lack is the bowling attach to take 20 wickets without giving cheap runs away

The current Betfair markets for the series:

Australia 2 - 1 10.5
Australia 3 - 1 27
England 1 - 0 23
England 2 - 0 7.2
England 3 - 0 6.8
England 4 - 0 14.5
England 2 - 1 5.2
England 3 - 1 9
Draw 1 - 1 9.6
Draw 2 - 2 12.5

2-1 to England being the most fancied score.

Basically, 22-to-1 on the next three matches being draws.

Seems relatively long -- each match having the draw at just under 2-1. They're only making it 15% more unlikely that Australia win each of the next three.

Depends if her mouth is full.

ALTERNATIVE GAG:

Yes, she sounds like she has plums in her mouth.

ALTERNATIVE GAG:

Heh. Gag.

Awesome:

Alistair Cook
Plenty of natives thought he was Joe Average, a beige English compiler with as much batting charisma as a bag of wood. As it happens, he's possibly the best player in the history of cricket. If England bat in Perth, a tactical air strike early on day one is the only thing I can think of to knock him over. A

Oh, and this is what the Aussies think of my man Colly:

Paul Collingwood
Did his job with the bat, chipped in with the ball, held some crucial catches and made a very solid overall contribution. The Australians would love one or two of his type; a stubborn, fighting campaigner who can aim up under pressure. Stripped down to his jocks and did a slide in the wet to celebrate. I'm thrilled I didn't see that part for so many reasons - but mostly because he's a ginger. B

Cynically, we don't need any more wins. We just need to avoid losing. On that basis, it's best to err on the side of defence rather than offence, play with the full six batsmen and make do with four bowlers plus cameos from Collingwood and Pietersen. After all, the latter made the big breakthrough at the end of day 4, which sows that they are no mugs.

yes, the same defensive tactics that just brought us an innings victory

there's nothing defensive about six batsmen when they are collectively capable of batting the opposition to death and demoralising them enough to induce a second innings collapse. Scoreboard pressure, Australia were great at it in the days when they weren't appallingly shit

Hehehe:

Marcus North Marcus, sit down. I have some bad news. We've gone through the replays and and your batting woes are terminal. At this stage, it's more about quality of life than aggressive treatment options. I recommend you go back to Perth, surround yourself with family and Shield players and make the best of each innings as it comes. D

All malice aside, I think Ponting would be best off giving up the captaincy to focus on his batting for the next three matches. But Clarke is no longer his automatic successor, is he?

I think he'd be best off giving it up because his captaincy has been unremittingly dreadful throughout. Not so easy to captain a Test side without McGrath and Warne is it?

I now understand how some people get their jollies kicking puppies - I've been reading the Aussie press all morning! Christ, are they down.:D

Australia's problem is the inability to bowl...before they could intimidate a team with a team sheet that included McGrath, Lee and Warne. Now they can't. The batting isn't that bad they've simply been out played - it wasn't so long ago Peterson looked shit, Strauss looked out of touch and Bell was going to be booted out.

Form is temporary, class is permanent and Aus have the batting talent. What they lack is the bowling attach to take 20 wickets without giving cheap runs away

No, the batting is that bad. One decent partnership in Brisbane, the rest folded on the flattest pitch in the history of Test cricket. Then they were rolled for 245 on a road. Then curled up and died in the face of a teensy bit of pressure on the last day at Adelaide when a little backbone was needed. How is their completely unthreatening powder puff bowling supposed to come out with anything to aim at when they're given nothing to defend?

No Katich now. Who comes in? Hughes? Don't make me fucking laugh. Twatto is a decent start and no more. Ponting hit the long downward slope some time ago and isn't recovering. Clarke's back is plainly fucked and will only allow him to play freely on occasion. Hussey showed his true mettle when playing that dreadful shot this morning to allow the floodgates to open. North is shit. Haddin's only occasionally threatening, give me Prior any day. Then they have four number 11s.

Shit shit shit

christ, this feels as good as skittling ther windies for 61. And what's even better is one thing I am now convinced of; get hussey and Haddn out for a modest score each - and we've got the whole aussie side beat. They're the only ones who'll fight to the last

They also need to have most of the following suffer a massive loss of form and confidence; Cook, Strauss, trott, KP, Bell, Jimmy, Swann....

they also need to not roll over and die when we apply a bit of pressure. When Hussey and Haddin were adding 300 in Brisbane we stuck with it and when the wicket came the others followed in quick order. The same cannot be said of Australia. Their body language in the field was terrible, they were a beaten team and Ponting knew it. Like Lara he's played with champions and now looks around and sees only pygmies. This is their 1989. Who do they bring in? The warm up matches showed there is next to nobody playing Shield cricket who can step up.

christ, this feels as good as skittling ther windies for 61. And what's even better is one thing I am now convinced of; get hussey and Haddn out for a modest score each - and we've got the whole aussie side beat. They're the only ones who'll fight to the last

this feels very very unreal.

West Indies had Ambrose, Walsh and Bishop into the 90s. Or did you mean their 1999?

sorry, mixed comparison. This is Australia's equivalent of England in 1989 - utter chaos as a young up and coming team come over and roll them. This also Australia's equivalent of the West Indies' late 90s and beyond

I find it a bit depressing in some ways. Are we going to be the only country who plays competitive test cricket in a few years?

India are the team to beat at the moment. Sri Lanka probably have the edge on England too. Next summer will be interesting.

Don't worry about test cricket – India drew big crowds for their recent mini-series against Australia. It's not dying.

India are the team to beat at the moment. Sri Lanka probably have the edge on England too. Next summer will be interesting.

Don't worry about test cricket – India drew big crowds for their recent mini-series against Australia. It's not dying.

Indian fans are pretty fickle though. Remember how they 'didn't like' Twenty20? All it would take is a swift drop down the rankings and some flat pitches and the crowds would soon vanish.

they also need to not roll over and die when we apply a bit of pressure. When Hussey and Haddin were adding 300 in Brisbane we stuck with it and when the wicket came the others followed in quick order. The same cannot be said of Australia. Their body language in the field was terrible, they were a beaten team and Ponting knew it. Like Lara he's played with champions and now looks around and sees only pygmies. This is their 1989. Who do they bring in? The warm up matches showed there is next to nobody playing Shield cricket who can step up.
100% agreed - and loving it! :D

Back
Top Bottom