Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

test match sofa was saying it wasn't out? hawkeye a bit dodgy?

It was shown to be hitting the bails. Umpire gave it out so that means the decision goes with the umpire, therefore out. Had the umpire not given it and England referred then it would have been not out

So you drop him down to no. 6.

I've called for Collingwood's head in the past, but he looked in reasonable touch in his little cameo this match and he is a good man for a crisis, as he's proved as recently as last winter in SA. He's an ugly batsman, even when playing well but so what – another no.5, a certain S Waugh, was never easy on the eye either, but he scored a lot more runs than his more gifted twin.

There's an element of England fans who always have to have it in for one of the top six. Collingwood, Bell, Cook, back to Collingwood. Fact is we have a top six who are all in good nick and none of them should be dropped. It's beyond me why people are forever clamouring to tinker with a good side who are obviously getting better

For four years, the name 'Adelaide' was a dirty word in English cricket circles. I know of people who wouldn't even let the syllables pass their lips such was the horror of that last day in December 2006

No more. Adelaide is the scene of Australia's worst home defeat in 17 years, of England's finest win in Australia in 24 years.

3 wickets for 2 runs in 13 balls
245 all out on a shirt front
Ali Cook passing 1050 minutes and 383 runs before finally being dismissed
Cook & Jonathon Trott adding over 500 runs as a partnership before finally being separated
Kevin Pietersen making his highest Test score after 20 months without a Test century.
Four consecutive century partnerships in the same innings
Two double centuries in consecutive Tests for different batsmen
Four English batsmen averaging over 100 for the series, one over 200
Australia collapsing yet again
Graeme Swann equals Derek Underwood's English record for overseas test five-fors
England: 620-5 Australia: 549-20
1-0 up with three to play. One more win will retain the Ashes.
A whole load of ghosts exorcised just two Tests into the series. This lot have nothing
Ponting, like Lara, leading his team into the shadows as the greats retire and aren't replaced

"We'll see what we're made of" said Ricky before the start of play this morning. Yes Ricky, we certainly did.
Strauss should have declared earlier and we should have had five bowlers ;)

Following Sri Lanka's drawn series with West Indies, England are up to third in the world. When we have won this series and South Africa have beaten India, we will be breathing down the necks of those two.

Damn right I'm savouring the moment

the grim reality is all cyber friendships must cease during the ashes so its"GOOD MORNING BASTARDS"HOPE YOUR ALL FELLING SHITE:DIts gunna be 36cel at the ground today but it will be hotter at the crease when Douggy starts putting them thru your boys.Looking for a few early wickets and to wrap up the innings at tea:cool:

I just felt like quoting this :)

"when Douggy starts putting them thru your boys" hahahahahahahahahahahaha

What a fantastic win for England, we totally outplayed the aussies in every department, just need to keep the intensity up now, the aussies need to win at least two of the next three tests and at the moment they don't look like getting 20 wickets ever.

It will be interesting to see what both teams do selction wise at Perth. For England they will probably just make the one change with Tremlett coming in for Broad. Personally I'd like to see Shazad given the chance but as Nasser was saying on Sky they pretty much brought Tremlett along for Perth, so if not now when?

On the 4 or 5 bowler discussion I am a bit concerned about going into a test match with only 3 seamers two of which are very green in test terms.

As for the aussies, well what a mess? What do you do? On flat pitches England are the far better team, but if you get result pitches prepared England have the better attack and will probably benefit more. Bollinger - 80mph Hilf - 80mph Harris - Not fit Johnson - All over the place

Its a real problem for the selectors, I think Hauritz should come back because he has way more control and will add some steel down the order which they are badly lacking (king pair for #8, fuck me). With Katich injured there will either be this Usman chap or Phil Hughes, probably the former as Hughes seems to have a mental issue playing against England. And personally I'd probably bring Mitchell Johnston back although quite how he would have sorted his game out by fielding as 12th man I'm not sure?

Anyway thats a while off, well done England and well done for rubbing their noses in it, fuck me they only had to last till the afternoon because of the storms and they couldnt even do that.

Oh and final point, the aussies need to get rid of North, no bottle when the chips are down.

It's a fine, fine result :)

The talk seems to be more for Tremlett than Shazad. I don't have a problem with playing inexperienced players. They are joining at the best time, when the team are upbeat and confident.

my father in law texts 'get ready for the fightback in Perth, you guys will be in trouble'

i replied i hoped he hadn't put any money on his 3-0 prediction after the Brisbane test.

Cynically, we don't need any more wins. We just need to avoid losing. On that basis, it's best to err on the side of defence rather than offence, play with the full six batsmen and make do with four bowlers plus cameos from Collingwood and Pietersen. After all, the latter made the big breakthrough at the end of day 4, which sows that they are no mugs.

Cynically, we don't need any more wins. We just need to avoid losing. On that basis, it's best to err on the side of defence rather than offence, play with the full six batsmen and make do with four bowlers plus cameos from Collingwood and Pietersen. After all, the latter made the big breakthrough at the end of day 4, which sows that they are no mugs.

On the one hand it would be hilarious to see England bat first and rack up some monumental total over three days, but I think there's no way that they would then want to bowl at Australia twice in a row with only four full-time bowlers.

You can't play for draws from the start. If you try that you end up losing and looking bad while you do it. I expect the team will play positively.

Still standing by my 3-1/2-2 prediction.

bollocks to all this playing for draws business.

hit them and hit them hard, at least in the next test.

lets beat them fair and square.

On the one hand it would be hilarious to see England bat first and rack up some monumental total over three days, but I think there's no way that they would then want to bowl at Australia twice in a row with only four full-time bowlers.

You can't play for draws from the start. If you try that you end up losing and looking bad while you do it. I expect the team will play positively.

Still standing by my 3-1/2-2 prediction.
Just because you're playing with four bowlers, doesn't mean you're playing for the draw though. After all, we just won with four bowlers. It just means that if things play out in their normal course, batting innings will be longer and a draw will be more likely.

And you play to the odds. Suppose that the two teams were equal -- a 50% chance of a draw with 25% chance of each team winning would suit England better at this stage than a 33% chance of each.

excuse me chaps, but.... YEEEAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Thank you. I've waited all my life, iot seems, for this moment. We didn't just beat them, we hammered them out of sight.
TBH, I can't see england losing a test now, simply cos i can't see what, or rather who, Australia are gonna win it with. katich injured, ponting vulnerable, Clarke and Johnson out of nick. Neither Hussey or Siddle can dom it all by themselves

All malice aside, I think Ponting would be best off giving up the captaincy to focus on his batting for the next three matches. But Clarke is no longer his automatic successor, is he?

excuse me chaps, but.... YEEEAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Thank you. I've waited all my life, iot seems, for this moment. We didn't just beat them, we hammered them out of sight.
TBH, I can't see england losing a test now, simply cos i can't see what, or rather who, Australia are gonna win it with. katich injured, ponting vulnerable, Clarke and Johnson out of nick. Neither Hussey or Siddle can dom it all by themselves

In all your life watching cricket, how many times have you seen a side utterly played out of sight and then come back to win the next test? Quite a lot, I'm guessing.

Even clothes are mocking him.

125666.2.jpg

In all your life watching cricket, how many times have you seen a side utterly played out of sight and then come back to win the next test? Quite a lot, I'm guessing.

I've seen sides with proven match-winners come back to win the next match.

In truth all Australia need to do to improve is stick to the basics. Don't give away your wicket, bowl consistently to a reasonable field and don't drop your catches. But that's way more easily said that done when the team is falling to pieces around them. They need to re-shuffle the bowling attack again, as well as replace Katich, so the squad for Perth will already have three different players. In those circumstances do you really want to drop North as well? I wonder if Hussey could make do as an opener so that there's some consistency.

The best they could do is to pick a half-decent squad and let them know thay they're all secure for the rest of the series, so that at least they can play with some confidence that they won't be dropped after one bad performance.

Back
Top Bottom