Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

Well, that's what every other sport in the country is up against unfortunately. As a nation we still do pretty well at a wide range of them though :)

I think we do pretty well considering we do NOT get that much encouragement from the govt.

I am going to keep up with this thread although I know I'm pretty much ignorant - just like listening on the radio :)

No cricket star has the bezazz that say Beckham ( just to go for the obvious) has.

You may be right, and a premiership footballer can earn in a week what a county cricketer earns in a year. But do kids think about money much? I didn't. Until you actually have to start earning it, you don't really appreciate where money comes from, do you?

I think we do pretty well considering we do NOT get that much encouragement from the govt.

I am going to keep up with this thread although I know I'm pretty much ignorant - just like listening on the radio :)

This is a really good thread and the one from the previous ashes series is brilliant. Sad as i am, i read through the whole thing recently. Fantastic stuff.

You may be right, and a premiership footballer can earn in a week what a county cricketer earns in a year. But do kids think about money much? I didn't. Until you actually have to start earning it, you don't really appreciate where money comes from, do you?

they don't think exactly about the money no, but think how much these famous footballers are always in their faces. You only see the cricketers when the big matches are on - and even then I think it mainly people like you and me who are interested in them.

Apart from Ian Botham and Shredded Wheat, and Alan Lamb and some stock cube stuff, who is ever on an advert?

And Beckhams' ads are always for some sexy product - not cereals that are good for your heart.

i'm not saying that's right - just how it is .

they don't think exactly about the money no, but think how much these famous footballers are always in their faces. You only see the cricketers when the big matches are on - and even then I think it mainly people like you and me who are interested in them.

No live cricket free to air any more. If your folks don't have Sky, you won't get into cricket by the means I did – sitting and watching it, sometimes all day in the school holidays, saddo that I was.

Yep. It lasts for five days, and then if you haven't got a result by then, you give up and call it a draw, and everyone goes away saying what a great game it was. :D

Yep. It lasts for five days, and then if you haven't got a result by then, you give up and call it a draw, and everyone goes away saying what a great game it was. :D
ah yes i remember those feelings well:cool:,we had 16 years straight to bask in the glory that our side delivered to us,now i know the utter frustration of watching your team going down the gurgler:(.My unswerving belief in fact it wont last for long makes me happy though.Australia will return to its powerhouse status a lot sooner than most of the world expects:cool:.Enjoy it while you can my traditional enemy(pommy bastards for ashes series only btw)and rest assured we will be back:D

ah yes i remember those feelings well:cool:,we had 16 years straight to bask in the glory that our side delivered to us,now i know the utter frustration of watching your team going down the gurgler:(.My unswerving belief in fact it wont last for long makes me happy though.Australia will return to its powerhouse status a lot sooner than most of the world expects:cool:.Enjoy it while you can my traditional enemy(pommy bastards for ashes series only btw)and rest assured we will be back:D

You remember Ab #1? He's back.

Bad news for them about Harris, and bad luck for Harris himself. Is he just one of those types whose bodies can't really take fast bowling?

It's a bit of a shocker that they're going to ditch Dougie straight away. Back to the line-up for the first test then. You never know with Johnson. Slingy bowlers have a smaller margin of error than those that bowl with a high action as just a tiny change in the timing of the ball release sends it off line. But if it all slots into place, he's their most dangerous bowler still.

Or, if that's as fit as he's ever going to be, then bye bye

You can't have a bowler 'running out of puff' in the ashes

He's not an athlete, is he. I quite like that about him. Neither was Willis. You don't actually have to be an athlete to be a good cricketer, but that said, you are right.

Johnson reminds me more and more of Harmison - some devastating moments getting rarer and rarer as his mental state collapses. His action means that it must be very, very hard to get it spot on - he's never going to bowl upright so it must be difficult to correct once it's gone. He's not quite as roundarm as Malinga (and how he manages to get the ball so spot on with that action I'll never know) but it's not far off.

If he comes back, great - he could be devastating but my instinct says he won't. Hilfenhaus was only dropped to balance the batting once Bollinger came back so no surprise if he's in. Batting order will surely be Johnson, (spinner), Siddle/Hilfenhaus, Bollinger. Unless they bring Smith in to replace North in which case it'll be Johnson, Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Bollinger. Still a tail which fails to scare anyone and nothing to worry the batsmen either.

The indecision is delicious.

Johnson reminds me more and more of Harmison - some devastating moments getting rarer and rarer as his mental state collapses. His action means that it must be very, very hard to get it spot on - he's never going to bowl upright so it must be difficult to correct once it's gone. He's not quite as roundarm as Malinga (and how he manages to get the ball so spot on with that action I'll never know) but it's not far off.

If he comes back, great - he could be devastating but my instinct says he won't. Hilfenhaus was only dropped to balance the batting once Bollinger came back so no surprise if he's in. Batting order will surely be Johnson, (spinner), Siddle/Hilfenhaus, Bollinger. Unless they bring Smith in to replace North in which case it'll be Johnson, Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Bollinger. Still a tail which fails to scare anyone and nothing to worry the batsmen either.

The indecision is delicious.

They can't play Bollinger if loses his fizz :)facepalm:) after 8 or 9 overs.

He's not an athlete, is he. I quite like that about him. Neither was Willis. You don't actually have to be an athlete to be a good cricketer, but that said, you are right.

If his knees are as fucked as they seem, he's not for Test cricket. Another limited overs only bowler to join Tait and Lee.

Back
Top Bottom