Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

I don't. I agree with Bob Willis. We could've used his anger at being forced to stay in aus productively.

Productively pissed off with the whole set up, souring what is otherwise a positive, happy and upbeat team? Yeah thanks Bob you sour-faced twat :D

Yeah, if anything Willis has mellowed.

Whilst I understand wanting to be there at the birth I don't think its a great idea. How long will he be in England for 48 hours? I don't think babies fit their schdules around test matches, so he may not even be there when it happens anyway.
Hopefully England will bat first at Perth because he is going to need all the rest time he can get with both those flights.

Yeah one match vs seeing your child born. It's not a contest and Willis should realise that but of course doesn't. He misses one match and can be back the next one, no big deal really.

Yeah one match vs seeing your child born. It's not a contest and Willis should realise that but of course doesn't. He misses one match and can be back the next one, no big deal really.

He's not missing a match, he'll be back out in time. Anyway its his second child, I'd fucking miss my own birth to play in the ashes, or something.

Hopefully England will bat first at Perth because he is going to need all the rest time he can get with both those flights.

First class flights, probably space to exercise, unwind, etc. It's not as if he's going to be stuck in economy and fretting about how to get to the hotel when he arrives.

First class flights, probably space to exercise, unwind, etc. It's not as if he's going to be stuck in economy and fretting about how to get to the hotel when he arrives.

Personally I don't care whether he attempts to circumnavigate the globe in a go-kart inbetween test matches as long as he is fit and ready to go come the start of the match. If he has a shit match fingers will be pointed.

Aussie squad has been announced. Out go Doherty, Bollinger, North and of course Katich. In come Phil Hughes, Hilfenhaus, Johnson, Steve Smith and as ever a complete left field pick in some guy rather excellently called Beer. Apparently Michael Beer is a left arm spinner who has taken 16 1st class wickets at just below 40, England must be shitting it.

However with no extra batsman it looks like Steve Smith will certainly play and bat at 7 with Haddin pushed up to 6. The only question is whether they will go with 2 spinners or 4 seamers and 1 spinner.

Its certainly a positive move but there are a loads of unknowns.

Good to see Bunny's back in the Aussie attack :D

I'm now slightly nervous though, couldn't they have just stuck with their shit team instead of blooding youngsters etc :mad:

I think it very unlikely that Beer will play unless the Perth pitch looks like an absolute bunson. So the only real new face is Steve Smith (although we saw him in the summer) we know all about the rest of them.

Cricinfo reports that Beer only started playing 1st class cricket in October and has only played three 1st class matches at the WACA. Most recently against NSW he returned figures of 3-139, whereas his opposite number, Nathan Hauritz, took 7-104.

I know he's unlikely to play, but what is going on with the aussie selectors? Surely he can't have been picked because he is a left armer again? What has Hauritz done to upset Ponting?

Ok, so Smith has an impressive 1st class batting average of 43.77 but a bowling average of only 44.8. His economy rate is not very clever either at a shade below 4 but you can forgive a leg spinner that.

From those stats he's more of a batsman then a bowler. So is he being picked as a bowler they have genuine belief in, or is it because his inclusion enables the aussies to play 4 seamers?

Smith is a batting all-rounder, so their tail will be quite short, in fact, with Johnson and Harris at 8-9.

I've said this earlier on this thread but Mitchell Johnson's batting is overated. If you take out the two series against SA when generally weird things happened (Hughes and North got runs, Mcgain was allowed to play etc etc), he has only averaged 11 I think. He's a late order slogger who may come off from time to time.

Can't comment on Harris' batting, didnt see much of him at Adelaide.

Johnson not allowed to play in the Shield match at Perth starting today. That's nuts.

Not fair to take out a player's top scores and look at his average! Especially as you're taking out matches against a good team.

Johnson not allowed to play in the Shield match at Perth starting today. That's nuts.

So let me get this straight. Johnson was dropped because he was out of form, he then spent hours in the field as 12th man as Pieterson smacked the ball to all corners and now he's not allowed to play a Shield match.

Am I missing something? How has fielding as 12th man sorted his bowling rytham out?

ETA: No doubt he is 'looking good in the nets'.

Fuck me, Australia really are the new England.

Simon Hughes says their whole cricket infrastructure is basically fucked. The Ashes could well be a ritualistic whitewash for the next 10 or 20 years.

Simon Hughes says their whole cricket infrastructure is basically fucked.

How has that happened? They were supposed to be the model to be copied just a few years ago. Each match in the Shield was competitive and mattered in a way the grind of County Cricket didn't. Talented amateurs were not lost to the game as they could continue to develop in highly competitive grade cricket... What's changed?

Back
Top Bottom