Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

Are the barmy army actually singing 'you all live in the fucking colonies'? To the tune of yellow submarine?

Lol. Takes a lot for a kiwi to support the ockers. Facepalm ahoy

I believe the line is 'convict colony' rather than fucking colonies, but never mind you face palm all you like.

I see your lot have reverted to type in the one dayers, they were trully dreadful the other day.

Are the barmy army actually singing 'you all live in the fucking colonies'? To the tune of yellow submarine?

It hasn't taken you anything at all. You have been supporting Australia as long as you have been posting on this board!

As mentioned above, it's 'convict colony'. Which is strictly true, at least when their ancestors arrived there.

To which the shackle-draggers retort:

"we all live in a sunny paradise"

Which is strictly true, at least before their ancestors arrived there.

ITV4 had a really nice interview by the former wicket keeper Healy of Ponting. He brought out Ponting's better side.

Yes, I thought that too. Really to the point, direct questions from Healy. Really to the point, direct answers from Ponting. I've always liked the cut of Ricky Ponting's jib.

This is like some kind of proper Test match and not the hilarious, one-sided farce I had been promised. :mad:

Aye,lol, fairplay to Strauss, reckon batting for abit was the right thing to do given the situation now! Only 6 wickets to go, and we've won the test. :eek: Gonna be a furstrating day though, fuckin bet ya. :(

Yes, I agree. I thought they should have declared overnight, but I think the decision to bat on has been vindicated.

Four more balls of Pietersen and it's the second new ball tomorrow, with nice fresh bowlers to take it. :)

I think Swann will be given a couple of overs with the old ball before the new one is taken.

Yeah I think so as well, also a couple more of Pieterson. Two left handers both having to start from fresh could be a very interesting first few overs.

Broad is out for the series apparently. Shazad in? Shazad and Tremlett for Collingwood and Broad?

On the betting markets, the draw is slightly favoured over an England win. You can get 400 on an Australian win!

I imagine the selectors would favour Bresnan for his batting, although I would go with Tremlett, especially on a fast wicket.

Although at this stage, the Broad news seems to consist of Michael Vaughan saying 'I reckon he's out for the series'. He's still not given up captaining from the commentary box.

If England had declared first thing, Australia would be level pegging and looking to get a lead first thing. Supporters always want declarations before players do. I trust the players

Broad is out for the series apparently. Shazad in? Shazad and Tremlett for Collingwood and Broad?

On the betting markets, the draw is slightly favoured over an England win. You can get 400 on an Australian win!

Have I missed something - is Colly injured or are you just not convinced they'll stick with him? I would change the absolute bare minimum at present.

Colly's main role in the side, after batting, bowling and fielding, is to be under constant threat of being dropped unless he has scored a century in the last 48 hours.

Collingwood is fine, and if we could field 12 players, an essential part of the team.

The point is that we are struggling on these flat wickets, and we need more bowling firepower. Whilst at the same time, Collingwood is looking decidedly odd in the batting order between Pietersen and Bell.

as has been pointed out, it's 'convict colony'. There's also 'we came with our backpacks, you with ball and chain' and a host of others.

It's taken in good spirit and they're having a giggle you po faced idiot

If England had declared first thing, Australia would be level pegging and looking to get a lead first thing. Supporters always want declarations before players do. I trust the players

Except at Adelaide four years ago, when I didn't understand the first innings declaration. I didn't think they'd lose, I just didn't see the value of declaring when the batsmen were making hay, and the follow-on target could have been made larger.

Except at Adelaide four years ago, when I didn't understand the first innings declaration. I didn't think they'd lose, I just didn't see the value of declaring when the batsmen were making hay, and the follow-on target could have been made larger.

Well that was Flintoff, he's a moron

I imagine the selectors would favour Bresnan for his batting, although I would go with Tremlett, especially on a fast wicket.

Shahzad actually has a higher first class batting average than Bresnan playing for the same team. I sincerely hope they do not go for Bresnan – he fails Richie Benaud's test for an all-rounder: he must be good enough to justify his place in the team on the back of one of the disciplines alone. Otherwise you end up with Derek Pringle.

Collingwood is fine, and if we could field 12 players, an essential part of the team.

The point is that we are struggling on these flat wickets, and we need more bowling firepower. Whilst at the same time, Collingwood is looking decidedly odd in the batting order between Pietersen and Bell.

If Broad is out there is no way they'll weaken the batting further by dropping Collingwood. I also don't think they'll bring in Bresnan for Broad, it'll be Shazad or Tremlett.

Collingwood is looking decidedly odd in the batting order between Pietersen and Bell.
So you drop him down to no. 6.

I've called for Collingwood's head in the past, but he looked in reasonable touch in his little cameo this match and he is a good man for a crisis, as he's proved as recently as last winter in SA. He's an ugly batsman, even when playing well but so what – another no.5, a certain S Waugh, was never easy on the eye either, but he scored a lot more runs than his more gifted twin.

You're probably right that they won't abandon the 4 bowler attack. I think it's daft of them. The reason they went for it was because our top order was very fragile. It's shown it's backbone in the last couple of games, time to show some flex. Batsmen can make it so you can't lose, it's bowlers who actually win games.

Don't get me wrong, I like Collingwood. He's a team man. Everyone likes him, and he can offer a bit of everything. I just think that we should be aiming for a 6 batsmen, 5 bowler England team.

I agree, but there's no way they'll do it, and I wouldn't bring in a fifth bowler for the sake of it – Bresnan, for instance, offers little more than a willing stock bowler. It's a shame they didn't blood Shahzad more in the summer – a 789 of Shahzad, Broad and Swann would be perfectly fine, imo: three very capable number eights, basically. Then again, if they win here, they don't need to go chasing victories.

You're probably right that they won't abandon the 4 bowler attack. I think it's daft of them. The reason they went for it was because our top order was very fragile. It's shown it's backbone in the last couple of games, time to show some flex. Batsmen can make it so you can't lose, it's bowlers who actually win games.

Don't get me wrong, I like Collingwood. He's a team man. Everyone likes him, and he can offer a bit of everything. I just think that we should be aiming for a 6 batsmen, 5 bowler England team.

I know where you're coming from, but its hard to think of any team in the modern era that has gone for this set up without having a world class all rounder.

You'd think the aussies who are having real trouble bowling England out, and have a w/k who is as good if not better then Prior, should be looking at this. I bet they don't though, its just not the done thing.

I've never thought much of Bresnan. He's one of those bowlers who are flattered by the short formats of the game. He's not Test standard. He's an English Bollinger :D

Shazad was excellent in the one match I saw him in. And also he was one of those excitable types, like Swann, who are great for keeping up morale.

Much as it pains me to say this, what England really need is a Shane Watson or a Jacques Kallis. TBH Australia's problem in the bowling department is quality, not quantity.

The one test I saw live this year – Bangladesh at Lords – Finn looked very dangerous and Bresnan looked totally innocuous. He isn't test standard and never will be – good batsmen will be very disappointed to get out to him.

Back
Top Bottom