Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

Yeah fine, for four overs. Then take the new ball. Jimmy didn't get it quite right first time round, but I'd back him to get it right this time.

I was trying tobe clever and add a live webcam pointing it the Oval.

Ah, ok. I genuinely was not praying for rain. I wanted to see play and to see England earn the draw.

I know the feeling. I admit to conflicting emotions when McGrath trod on that ball. But it's wrong. It's better to win against the best team in the best conditions.

Personally I find all this needlessly venomous stuff to be not cricket. Cricket is about having respect within a competitive spirited game. I love the banter but frankly find it a bit embarrassing when people take the banter side of it that seriously.

i assure you there is little seriousness attached to my insults. you're quite right in what you said. i just took advantage of an opportunity to call an astralian cricketer a cunt, or something. i think the population of this thread are generally aware of the beautiful simple truths and principles of the game. it's nice that we're "winning" for once, and i do like calling people cunts occasionally. don't be embarrassed - haven't us english cricket fans done enough of that already?

Nice, albeit mental, email to the cricinfo site.. apparently Australia should be all out just after lunch.. :D

"If the rain holds off and Australia defend well, we could get into a situation where they have to hold out for the last hour with 2 or 3 wickets left. What is relevant then is not the average number of runs that numbers 9, 10 and 11 have, but the average number of balls they have batted for. This stat comes up frequently. Edwards faced 33 balls to get a draw for WI in the 1st test against Zim in 2003. In the 33 test innings Brett Lee had had up to the 2nd Ashes test in 2005 he had only twice faced more than 70 balls: he survived 75 and almost pulled of a win for Australia. So it might be an idea for the statisticians to have these stats up their sleeves in case it gets close. The crude stats for the remaining batsmen show the average number of balls faced in test matches are Hussey (93) North (70), Haddin (62) Harris (28 - 1st class), Doherty (31 - 1st class), Siddle (24) and Bollinger (12). So we should expect Australia to be all out in 56 overs - some time after lunch."

Cricket is the statistician's paradise, isn't it? I predict that an early wicket will lead to an early demise. Pura cup cricket doesn't even feature 5th day wickets. Let alone test-standard attacks. Swann was relatively unlucky yesterday. If he's relatively lucky today, it'll all be over quickly.

well my bet on an aussie victory looks all but scuttled:(England has been the best side by far this series so far.Dont know how we are going to recover from this.Got to make some changes in our attack but the form of our batsmen(Hussey excluded)has been abysmal.

well my bet on an aussie victory looks all but scuttled:(England has been the best side by far this series so far.Dont know how we are going to recover from this.Got to make some changes in our attack but the form of our batsmen(Hussey excluded)has been abysmal.

Hungover abit, or something? :hmm: :p

Couldn't you poach some Kiwis? Vettori? Bond?

Back
Top Bottom