Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Ashes 2010/11

I know no one really cares but spanker roebuck got in another dig in his long running and losing feud with Botham

To make matters worse, Australia's conqueror has a pleasant air: firm and yet polite. Flingers eager to fight a lion find themselves subdued by a pussy cat. Without upsetting anyone, he declines to be pushed around, stands his ground in the face of wrathful bowlers and even fieldsmen convinced they have held him. Cook defied the home captain in Brisbane, and survived again as Phillip Hughes first claimed and then questioned a low catch. That a former England champion saw fit to accuse the short leg of cheating says nothing about the fielder and everything about him.

Haddin vs. Prior?

Haddin's scored more runs but Prior's not had as many opportunities. Haddin's conceded more byes but to be fair he's also had to keep to Johnson. Prior's claimed more victims but he's had the better bowlers to keep to. Tough one, I'll go with Prior.

More on Bell/hotspot etc. Remember back in Brisbane when England were convinced Hussey had got an edge, hotspot showed nothing and Hussey went on to 190-odd? With England losing a referral into the bargain. What comes around, goes around. Besides, it's not as though hotspot is flawed, yet snicko is infallible. Both have drawbacks and the best we can say is that the use of available technology reduces errors but doesn't eliminate them - and there will always be some edges just too fine to be certain of, even if you're holding the bat.

In the light of Cook's comments re: Haddin and Hughes immediately saying they weren't sure whether the catch had carried, I'm prepared to withdraw my 'cheat' slurs from last night

In the light of Cook's comments re: Haddin and Hughes immediately saying they weren't sure whether the catch had carried, I'm prepared to withdraw my 'cheat' slurs from last night

i bet botham doesn't though, somerset twat (sorry butch)

I think Cook was doing that posh thing of covering for the enemy.

If the ball bounces up into your hands you don't even dream of appealing - a scoop, yes, maybe...not one you know came upwards...

There's always been a fair bit of 'crowd catching' and 'optimistic appealing' in cricket. I don't think it's worth making that much of a fuss about it. As to whether he knew it bounced? Well, the right decision came out in the end.

Likewise with the Bell 'edge' - we can't know for certain whether he edged it (although it's likely he did), and we can't know for certain whether if he did edge it, he knew it. So go with the umps decision, and get on with the game.

There's always been a fair bit of 'crowd catching' and 'optimistic appealing' in cricket. I don't think it's worth making that much of a fuss about it. As to whether he knew it bounced? Well, the right decision came out in the end.

Likewise with the Bell 'edge' - we can't know for certain whether he edged it (although it's likely he did), and we can't know for certain whether if he did edge it, he knew it. So go with the umps decision, and get on with the game.

These are two totally different things. A bumped ball that looks like a catch from the stand and a catch you know you didn't take. It's irrelevant if the right decision came out in the end - that's the whole fucking point of the anger.

In my early hours daze did I hear someone comment Snicko is less reliable than HotSpot, HotSpot being about 96-97% reliable?

Fuck knows how they assess reliability, but maybe that's another question . . .

Well I think it's daft to be angry about it. He may not have known he didn't take it. He may have been 'overuled' by the excitement (desperation) of his more senior colleagues, etc.

In my early hours daze did I hear someone comment Snicko is less reliable than HotSpot, HotSpot being about 96-97% reliable?

Snicko is coincidental - it just shows a sound occuring at the time the ball passes bat.

SA have set India 340 to win on the final day after being only 100 ahead with five down. Kallis made an unbeaten century.

That's gonna be worth watching then.

SA have set India 340 to win on the final day after being only 100 ahead with five down. Kallis made an unbeaten century.

That's gonna be worth watching then.

Been on this all day, amazing cricket match going on. Tendulkers delivery to dismiss the tail ender was the stuff of playground!

For my part, I'd like to think there's still some code of sportsmanship in this game -it's one of the things that makes it special

The thing with sportsmanship is that you need to back off and let it happen. If you go straight to defcon 1 every time you perceive that you've been wronged, and assume the other side have the worst possible motives, then you've played your part in eradicating sportsmanship.

It's similar to the relationship between politicians and journos. The latter are looking for any possible angle to make a story so the politicians provide them with a practiced and airbrushed answer that gives no insight at all because they know they will be crucified otherwise.

The thing with sportsmanship is that you need to back off and let it happen. If you go straight to defcon 1 every time you perceive that you've been wronged, and assume the other side have the worst possible motives, then you've played your part in eradicating sportsmanship.

It's similar to the relationship between politicians and journos. The latter are looking for any possible angle to make a story so the politicians provide them with a practiced and airbrushed answer that gives no insight at all because they know they will be crucified otherwise.

No, you call cheating when you see it. Not when it might not be. Let those ones go. Why are you having problems with this?

hold on, I presume that's a probability question....CAAALLLIIING KAAAABBBEEESSS!!!

A discussion about reliability is more interesting than it first seems, actually.

Errors are generally divided into "Type I" (hang an innocent man) and "Type II" (let a guilty man go free). You generally focus on avoiding Type I because it is generally considered to be more serious. So it might be that you are 99% reliable on this basis and this is what is quoted. But this says nothing at all about the Type II error!

When quoting reliability they should really quote the probability of BOTH error types.

If you go straight to defcon 1 every time you perceive that you've been wronged, and assume the other side have the worst possible motives, then you've played your part in eradicating sportsmanship.
I don't think it's a case of 'going to defcon 1' every time, as you put it! it's simply a case of acknowledging an unwritten but universal ethical code, expecting all to abide by it, and then making clear one's disapproval when someone acts in a manner that is - excuse the pun - 'simply not cricket'.

I don't think it's a case of 'going to defcon 1' every time, as you put it! it's simply a case of acknowledging an unwritten but universal ethical code, expecting all to abide by it, and then making clear one's disapproval when someone acts in a manner that is - excuse the pun - 'simply not cricket'.

If they got away with it, then perhaps one might make clear one's disapproval. But seeing as they didn't, one can merely sit back in serene natural-justice-laden smugness :D

If they got away with it, then perhaps one might make clear one's disapproval. But seeing as they didn't, one can merely sit back in serene natural-justice-laden smugness :D

In that case you're indulging in the same instrumental thinking as the cheat. It's not whether they got away with it or not, but that they cheated in the first place.

no, you don't! It's the unsporting behaviour that's the real issue, not whether the umpires (and a couple of bits of technowizardry) were up to spotting it.
e2a: this sportsmanship is intrinsic to the game's soul and ethos. I(f you want to see the dangers of 'relaxing on this' - look at football.

Back
Top Bottom