Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Six Nations 2023

Elpenor

Dancing as fast as I can
It’s that wonderful time of year again, the Six Nations championship, the new dawn as the cold, dark still winter gives way to the rebirth of spring, alive with verve and movement

Anyway my Eddie Butler tribute out of the way… ;)

74AA96CB-A31F-4010-8227-6FBAB5F0368F.jpeg

The first squad was announced yesterday, Italy. They’ll fancy their chances after beating Australia last year, and wins over Wales and Scotland are achievable.

England name theirs on Monday, and have a new coach in Steve Borthwick. A decent start with two home games, against Scotland and Italy, and their two toughest games are not until the end of the championship.

Wales too have a new (old) coach in Gatland. As I understand it, Welsh rugby’e the issues are structural, and Gatland’s golden generation of players are ageing or retired. But can he squeeze another 9 months of effort from them? I doubt it personally, but least they’ll play some fluid running rugby ;)

Ireland should start to fall away now having in 2022 reached their traditional peak one year before a World Cup. Their home game against France in round 2 would be good revenge for last year.

Scotland - well they could finish anywhere between second or bottom, their fixture list seems fairly helpful on paper. I reckon they’ll fancy their chances against England in round 1, they’ve done well recently at Twickenham and England might be caught cold.

France had an unbeaten year last year but won some fairly jammy games in the Autumn. A loss against Ireland or maybe even England in round 5 wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen, as it would resharpen focus ahead of the World Cup.

Anyone planning to go to any games? If I’m lucky I may get ballot tickets for Wales v England.

I think your assessment of Ireland is fair. We’ve been here in 2007 and 2019. The only thing is we’ve got a different approach, which is part of the provincial sides training, a bg focus on stress and decision making. Winning the six nations would be a massive achievement but not winning it wouldn’t be the blow that the 6N 2019 was.

Potentially I see Wales beating us and us beating everyone else. Or losing to everyone else.

Last edited:
England squad named. A few uncapped players. Farrell as captain, looks like he may be starting as 10. Genge and Lawes as vice captains.

Useless winger Nowell (awful try scoring record) and Billy Vunipola both dropped - a good sign as it allows for a mobile back row. Also gone is Jonny May who has had a rotten run of injuries and been a great servant of English rugby.

It’s Ireland v France for me. I don’t share the idea we’ll fall away, it feels like we’re still on a upward curve and gaining confidence. What will wales and Gatlandball 2.0 bring?

I see Woki is out for the 6N. Big loss for France, excellent in the back row all though they’ve been playing in the second row recently. One of those players that is all poise and skill. I wonder who’ll replace him?

ETA Willemse it seems.

Last edited:
Thibaud Flament possibly - ex Loughborough Uni second team fly half who converted to lock. Willemse usually starts at lock with Woki I think

Wales squad has an uncapped centre called Mason Grady who is tipped to be the new Jamie Roberts - looks a strong runner and centre is a weak position for Wales

Gatland was looking for Howley back. Does Howley owe him some cash? I bet that that made the Welsh lads sweat for a bit.

The Ireland squad has a few surprises Carbery is out, Ross Byrne is in, as in Crowley. Got to give it to Farrell he not afraid to drop someone if they are not good enough nor is he afraid to promote either, witness Coombes is the squad.

Couple of question marks over the likes of Lowe who is in NZ and Stockdale but overall as expected but with a little twist.

BBC 1 wales tonight 8pm (and then on iplayer for everywhere else) is a documentary about the 70s wales team.

bbc.co.uk

There’s also a decent documentary on BT sport on England v Scotland 1990 grand slam decider, set against the backdrop of the poll tax and industrial decline.

It’s tangential to the 6N but Laporte has resigned over his dirty dealings.

Do all administrators go to the Sep Blatter school?

Anyway under any other French coach I’d say this might have an impact but very cool Fabian will have his players prepared for this. Can’t believe we’re only a week away.

Thibaud Flament possibly - ex Loughborough Uni second team fly half who converted to lock. Willemse usually starts at lock with Woki I think

Wales squad has an uncapped centre called Mason Grady who is tipped to be the new Jamie Roberts - looks a strong runner and centre is a weak position for Wales
He's ridiculous. 6'6", 17 odd stone, gas to burn and decent hands.

So I'm really unsure about where Wales are going to place this season. So many bloody variables. What's certain is that by some utter miracle we have some decent players coming through in key positions. Christ Tsizuna (sp?), Grady, Hawkins at 12, Carre at 1, Jac Morgan at 6.5, etc. etc. Gutted that Dewi Lake won't make it as he's an absolute monster.

What's certain is that for the first time in ages Wales have ball carriers and line breakers up front and behind. This is in total contrast to Gatland's first period in charge where he had to employ monsters on either wing and at 12 in order to counterbalance the total lack of carrying in the pack. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with an entirely new set of resources.

What's even more interesting is the flanker situation. I watched the Os excellent victory over Leicester at Welford Road the other day and the game had (on form) probably the three best opensides in mainland UK on the pitch at the time. They were all Welsh: Reffell, Morgan and the marvellous Tipuric. There's serious potential balance in that backrow as well as horses for courses selections in terms of carrying, link play and/or breakdown competition.

I think Gatland has the makings of a side that could potentially evolve from Warrenball into something more expansive and less rock-fighty. He's a pragmatist first and foremost and will shape his team based on the resources available.

What that means for the here and now is debatable. It's basically a 2008/Lions tour scenario where he's building a scratch side out of nothing to compete. I don't fancy our chances against Ireland first up but by the same token it's not impossible. And then....

😁

It’s tangential to the 6N but Laporte has resigned over his dirty dealings.

Do all administrators go to the Sep Blatter school?

Anyway under any other French coach I’d say this might have an impact but very cool Fabian will have his players prepared for this. Can’t believe we’re only a week away.
We just need the entire board and executive of the WRU to resign over their horrific and ingrained misogyny and we might actually be getting somewhere in terms of kicking the cunts out of governance

Wales team named. 952 caps in the starting XV - most ever in a team?

That includes 3 test centurions but also 3 players with 6 caps or less.

Halfpenny in. Gats must the up for a spoiling contest at the breakdown to get penalties and Halfpenny to knock the over.

Almost hope that we don’t worry too much about not turning the ball over in their half. See what they can do from the turnover but most importantly deny them either the 3 points or lineout in our 22.

Last edited:
Halfpenny in. Gats must the up for a spoiling contest at the breakdown to get penalties and Halfpenny to knock the over.

Almost hope that we don’t worry too much about not turning the ball over in their half. See what they can do from the turnover but most importantly deny them either the 3 points or lineout in our 22.
Halfpenny is only in because the cupboard at 15 is literally bare rather than Sun Tzu-like strategising from Gatland. We literally have no other match fit full backs of something approaching international standard.

I can't say that team inspires a great deal of confidence. It's built for a rock fight and that's what we'll get. Perhaps the evolution will begin to happen subsequently and based on the result/performance on Saturday. Gatland was never going to go shit or bust against Ireland - he'll use tested combinations and good defenders and scrap, scrap, scrap. Interestingly that XXIII isn't a whole lot different from the one humiliated against Australia thirds. As such it'll be an interesting yardstick as to how shit Pivac is and how quickly Gatland can instil a game plan.

Back
Top Bottom