Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Six Nations 2023

Sounds like it’s building up to be another dogged performance. Keep it tight, score at 3 point increments, and see what happens

Halfpenny out due to back spasm. All the talk is of McCloskey starting at 12 for us on Saturday.

Furlong is out, injured again. His injury profile since the Lions tour has been terrible.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Ax^
All the teams are named now ahead of the weekend.

Wales v Ireland … a lot of people are talking up a Gatland renaissance with Wales winning against an Ireland team missing Robbie Henshaw. I’m not sure I am convinced but you’d think this is a make or break game for Wales. Win and get the momentum, or lose and it all ends up unravelling. Ireland will be regarded as favourites despite a poor record in Cardiff of late. That said the Welsh teams have done ok in European games recently.

At Twickenham, well I’m not sure the England team is particularly different in makeup to previous Eddie Jones picks but I’m pleased to see Ollie Hassell-Collins in on the wing and Lewis Ludlam at flanker - he’s one of my favourite players. England have a much more mobile back row than usual. Don’t know if Smith - Farrell will work as it hasn’t before and Malins is too slow for an international player.

I like the look of Scotland with Huw Jones at centre. They also have a strong looking and mobile back row who might just dominate the breakdown, and the Edinburgh players will have recently beaten Saracens which must help the confidence. My feeling is this result will come down to a single kick, but I’ll go for home advantage meaning England scrape a victory.

On Sunday I reckon France will be given a scare by Italy. The Italians must have targeted this game as one to take a good performance from. France went unbeaten last year but were grinding out results on fumes by the end of the autumn so perhaps it will be close until the hour mark. A loss would be good to reset and focus attention. I just can’t see a team with World XV members like Fickou and Penaud (wish they were both English!) losing though.

The under 20’s Wales vs Ireland has some good players. The Welsh 13 is showing some unreal touches. The Irish ten is class too. Good game.

ETA that Welsh scrum half who played last year is on the pitch now, he moves so well and without a doubt is the best player in the pitch. Deffo a future Welsh international.

Last edited:
Well, this year has the potential to be classic. Lots of uncertainties, lots of potential for upsets, lots of potential for any given team to implode on the day - or surprise everyone and pull it out of the bag.

Really crossing everything that Les Bleus can continue to build toward WC but I worry about the lack of depth at scrum half (although yes, they've been trying to address it) and possible injury issues with dear old Antoine.

Really hoping Wales do a number on Ireland, but as Bendy points out up thread, how fast can Garland get them back on their feet?

Will be really interesting to see how England get on. Again, how fast can Borthwick get them out of Eddieball? Will they be able to fashion a reliable attack? I'm still not convinced by Farrell-Smith. Is anyone really?

As always, fuck knows about Scotland or Italy and I haven't watched enough of Ireland lately to get a sense but I'm assuming they are still in excellent shape

So...
France (no slam tho)
Ireland
and then who fucking knows
Scotland
England
Italy
Wales

Well, Italy v France U20 ... bloody hell. Highlights on YT are fucking awful editing mind, but still.

:rolleyes: for fucks sake - whats wrong with these snowflakes do they actually think a song will incite mass stabbings of wives /girlfriends 😵‍💫

Angry Welsh rugby fans have vowed to sing Delilah at the Principality Stadium on Saturday after one current international star criticised the decision to ban it.

On Wednesday, WRU bosses confirmed that the song would no longer be sung by the pre-match choir at Wales games, or played over the tannoy. The decision followed a turbulent period for the organisation, which saw CEO Steve Phillips resign amid accusations of harbouring a toxic culture, characterised by sexism and misogyny.

The Sir Tom Jones' classic has become an iconic anthem for Welsh fans, despite criticism over it's references to domestic violence. The lyrics include the line "I felt the knife in my hand and she laughed no more."

I hope the crowd do carry on singing it, all these stupid knee jerk decisions to constantly ban shit really pisses me off :mad:

Anyway, my predictions…

Wales will be better than last year. Having North at 13 means he’ll cover the ground much better than Adams did last year. I expect an absolute mess at the breakdown and for Wales to tackle all day. That said if Ireland can get quick ball and Sexton to stay on the field we have the ability to win. Ireland by 5+

England Vs Scotland I think had Darcy Graham been playing I would have thought the Scots would win, but let’s face it Hogg will do something costly. I think England play better with one playmaker. the Smith Farrell axis is unproven but then again I expect England to kick a lot today. I think it will be close, but overall given that Russell is actually driving games now, I think Scotland by 3.

France will beat Italy easily enough. Le Garrac their replacement scrum half is one hell of a player. I think the French weakness is the centres. Italy won’t expose it.

Gibson Park is injured. Murray to start. King of slowing the game down. I'm now less confident. Ireland by 1.
That’s a big loss. Any team would be weakened having a half back drop out but as you say he provides the tempo that makes Ireland so hard to contain, Murray can’t even get in the Munster team at present I think?

Furlong out as well. I'd say we have the nudge in the front row as a result. Gibson Park also a loss. Easier to drag Ireland into the rock fight as a result, which balances things out somewhat.

This would have been the game I'd have gone to with my son (him supporting Wales bizarrely) if moving hadn't kiboshed it.

Not feeling quite so bad about that at the moment...

This would have been the game I'd have gone to with my son (him supporting Wales bizarrely) if moving hadn't kiboshed it.

Not feeling quite so bad about that at the moment...
He's playing for his club this afternoon. He was pissed off by that, suspect that may change...

this is painful to watch as an ireland fan

from the great games of the first Gatland era

wtf has he been doing

Back
Top Bottom