Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Six Nations - 2024

I'd imagine you'd get a fair few England supporters in the ground if they're winning 60-0. Supporters of the teams they're playing less so, but that would grow as the teams improve.

A bit like the English women's football team. They were beating teams 20-0 a couple of years ago but the gaps have narrowed.

A bit like the English women's football team. They were beating teams 20-0 a couple of years ago but the gaps have narrowed.

Not really a valid comparison. Yes, there were teams that England were giving a hiding to in footy but there were still plenty providing good opposition. In rugby the only ones in the world with a chance against the Red Roses are New Zealand and maybe France (the latter on a good day). The points difference is coming down in the Six Nations but these are still hidings so don't expect to see Wales, Scotland, Ireland or Italy beat England any time in the next five years or so. In the Scotland game the points difference from 2023 to 2024 only dropped by five to 46 and that was with England down to 14!

Yes fair play, although the best way for the teams to improve is to play competitive matches.

Anyway England v Ireland starting soon on BBC 2 :thumbs:

Scarratt on the bench :)

Final score 88-10. Last year 48-10 so gap widening. This sort of thing isn't helping anyone.

I liked the coach when asked "what was your reaction to giving away a penalty try?" "yes not pleased obviously, and I think the defence coach will have something to say about it" as opposed to some premiership managers: "that was never a penalty it's a travesty, I've never seen such a bad ref"

Emily Scarett is back baby! Made three tries, sublime distribution every time she touched the ball and oh that chip through. Lovely, hope you were pleased to see her two sheds

nightowl I don't agree that no-one is learning anything. Ireland bloody well better. They will be discussing how they got caught narrow in defence so much, why speed of decision matters and why, having just scored to make it 50 - 10 and now a woman up, you really shouldn't immediately leak 12 points.

I don't know if you watched Ireland's decline over 2022 to 23 (and I profess I don't know the reasons, but it was stark how bad they became) this is a side very much still rebuilding and learning a lot about playing at the highest level.

England though were rampant and not just because Ireland were bad, but because they had studied Ireland and knew where all the weak spots were and exploited every one. Add to that it seeming like everyone hit form and it was pretty joyous stuff, almost every try involved heaps of great skills.

Last edited:
Along with Dow (lovely try in the corner) and Breach on the wings.

And the 50,000 odd crowd at least enjoyed it :) ...

... mainly England supporters admittedly.

I'm sure some England fans are loving it. Will be interesting though to see impact on neutrals, TV audience etc if this goes on. I expect some concerned commentators, sports journalists etc are keeping their powder dry until after the France game just in case there is an upset. If England win that comfortably I'd fully expect to see questions being asked in the media along the lines of 'how can the tournament be saved?'

Well there are another five teams so that's ten games each year that don't involve England?

And wouldn't cancelling it pretty well mean an end to competitive matches for all the Six Nations teams? That wouldn't be good for anyone.

Well there are another five teams so that's ten games each year that don't involve England?

And wouldn't cancelling it pretty well mean an end to competitive matches for all the Six Nations teams? That wouldn't be good for anyone.

Cancelling it clearly isn't an option but something needs to be done urgently to bring the other nations up to a competitive level as soon as possible because, at the moment, it's looking like another 5-10 years of the same fare. That would probably involve huge investment and plenty of full-time contracts so the players can concentrate totally on improving their skill levels. Whether the other unions have the finances to achieve that though is another matter. If the powers that be behind the Six Nations can find anyway to help they'd be daft not to for the sake of the tournament.

In terms of competitive games I actually prefer watching the other nations play each other rather than any games involving England because watching walkovers generally doesn't interest me whatever the sport.

Insane last 5 minutes. Italy knocked on, Wales took the ball and scored. to take them equal. Not quite sure of the ref's thought processes but gave scrum to Italy. Video ref showed what had happened, ref gave a scrum to Wales no mention of advantage. :eek: Wales scored a couple of minutes later anyway to take them two ahead. Last minute penalty to Italy in sort of kickable distance which was overturned because Italian's high tackle.

Insane last 5 minutes. Italy knocked on, Wales took the ball and scored. to take them equal. Not quite sure of the ref's thought processes but gave scrum to Italy. Video ref showed what had happened, ref gave a scrum to Wales no mention of advantage. :eek: Wales scored a couple of minutes later anyway to take them two ahead. Last minute penalty to Italy in sort of kickable distance which was overturned because Italian's high tackle.

Yeah, that no-try decision was nonsense, try all day.

Still, pleased for Wales they finally got a win, even if they still finish bottom. Judging by the pics of their coach, he felt the same way :D

Also pleased that Ireland finally got a win, well deserved I thought, first 20 or so really didn't look good and - once again - their no. 10 has a habit of not thinking quick enough, but the second half they really brought it.

Edit: sorry, "got another win" I mean of course

Last edited:
This second half is a mess. Why do England keep kicking away possession when they are a woman up? Stupid.

Score flatters England - french scrum half Sansu has been excellent whole competition, really busy always up with the play I don't know whether it's because she's instantly recognizable and that scrum halves are always like that though.

Score flatters England - french scrum half Sansu has been excellent whole competition, really busy always up with the play I don't know whether it's because she's instantly recognizable and that scrum halves are always like that though.

Bit of both. I love her, proper nuisance.

England have been really poor this second half, France deserved that try.

Scarrett immediate impact.
Better.

Edit: or not. Fuck up the catch from the restart, tackle off the ball. Rubbish

Back
Top Bottom