Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rugby World Cup 2023

I'm fucking exhausted, how must they all feel!
Gutted that Fiji couldn't snatch it at the end, fair play to Wales though, did you see that tackle count?! Mental

The ref managed to be absolutely awful for both sides in patches. Overruling both himself and his tmo for the Fiji 'no try' was spectacular, as was his failure to produce more yellows for us after repeated infringements in the red zone. On the other hand, he seemed to allow constant diving over/sealing off at the breakdown plus fairly regular living offside on the part of the Fijians.

Once more I was struck by how spectacularly thick certain members of this Wales side are, and how that thickness becomes an infection that spreads from 1-15 as pressure is brought to bear in the final quarter. From two plus converted scores with an extra man on 69 minutes we managed, through a symphony of harebrained stupidity, to almost lose to a dying seconds dropped pass with the line a begging. Gatland was quietly furious in his interview and well he should be.

On the other hand we BP'd a very handy, possibly even magnificent, Fiji side who, had it not been for some Sean Edwards levels of leet defending would have cut through us at will. We also managed to create a bit, setpiece was mostly decent and we can go into the next games with a bit of a spring in our steps. The Fiji-Aus game is going to be a belter, I think, but if Fiji win it we may come to very much regret gifting them the two bonus points as that would leave us with a winner takes all match against the Crims, with plenty more scope for unholy pressure brainfarts

I understand that only captains are supposed to talk to the ref but I'm not sure he should have been so openly and loudly contemptuous of the Fijian captain when he didn't realize he was the captain. Fawningly apologetic when he did realize, mind.

I understand that only captains are supposed to talk to the ref but I'm not sure he should have been so openly and loudly contemptuous of the Fijian captain when he didn't realize he was the captain. Fawningly apologetic when he did realize, mind.
The grovelling apologies were rather OTT I thought. Bur he did, quite rightly, apologise.

I love Biggar but I thought his having a go (sweary fit?) at teammates for not putting the ball out at the end of the first half was a bit extreme. When he missed that kick early in the second half I was half expecting players to go up to him, get right in his face and shout "Well that was fucking shit wasn't it???"

Similarly to when a football goalkeeper have a shouting fit at defenders who make a mistake. I'm not sure that shouting at people is going to make them less likely to make mistakes in future.

I love Biggar but I thought his having a go (sweary fit?) at teammates for not putting the ball out at the end of the first half was a bit extreme. When he missed that kick early in the second half I was half expecting players to go up to him, get right in his face and shout "Well that was fucking shit wasn't it???"

Similarly to when a football goalkeeper have a shouting fit at defenders who make a mistake. I'm not sure that shouting at people is going to make them less likely to make mistakes in future.
In fairness his fury was entirely justified in both instances. First was when North dithered, ran beyond his receivers and got smushed and turned over entirely unnecessarily. Second was when we inexplicably started to go all Harlem Globetrotters behind our own line with time up in the first half. We had been coached to execute a tight, controlled gameplan such as the one that paid serious dividends in the first ten minutes of the 1st and the first 20 of the second. Any deviation was going to (and did) get punished. Biggar dragged us through large parts of that game and delivered the control that we needed. Must've been really shit gripping to see headless chickens outside him threaten to derail the train for absolutely no reason.

Two kinds of mistakes, though. The mistake where you try to do the right thing and mess it up, and the mistake where you try to do the wrong thing. Biggar was shouting at them for the latter kind of mistake. Him missing a kick is the former kind.

Yes fair enough, although I'm still not sure that shouting/swearing at people gets them to make fewer mistakes. It's that twat chef's employee management technique.

Eta: HE SHOULD JUST HAVE FUCKING CONCENTRATED BETTER. :mad:

Last edited:
Yes fair enough, although I'm still not sure that shouting/swearing at people gets them to make fewer mistakes. It's that twat chef's employee management technique.

Eta: HE SHOULD JUST HAVE FUCKING CONCENTRATED BETTER. :mad:
In fairness Biggar has been shouting at people on the pitch since he started his career. It's kinda what he does.

The mistake was in pissing about near their own goal line and keeping the ball on the pitch when they could have put it out. Mind you wasn't there a recent Scotland game where they were drawing when the clock had finally run down and then were pissing about near their own goal line but ran up the other end and scored?

Back
Top Bottom