Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rugby World Cup 2023

That Chilean yellow (and probably will be red) is as absurd as Curry's. Let's just ban tackling. And maybe play with a round ball while we're at it.

That Chilean yellow (and probably will be red) is as absurd as Curry's. Let's just ban tackling. And maybe play with a round ball while we're at it.
You do get that head injuries to rugby players kill people, yes?

Players are now made very aware that they have a duty of care towards the player they are tackling. If they get that wrong and there is a head impact, they are likely to see yellow and if there is no mitigation (as there wasn't with Curry) then red.

Look at this the other way around. Should a player expect to run the risk of having his or her head smashed just for being the one holding the ball at that particular moment in the match? Or should they reasonably expect to be allowed to hold the ball without risking a head injury?

A lot of people, including far too many pundits, still don't seem to get this. The alternative to cracking down hard on head impacts is to end playing rugby altogether. The game needs to get this right.

You do get that head injuries to rugby players kill people, yes?

Players are now made very aware that they have a duty of care towards the player they are tackling. If they get that wrong and there is a head impact, they are likely to see yellow and if there is no mitigation (as there wasn't with Curry) then red.

Look at this the other way around. Should a player expect to run the risk of having his or her head smashed just for being the one holding the ball at that particular moment in the match? Or should they reasonably expect to be allowed to hold the ball without risking a head injury?

In both cases, this Chilean one and the one last night the tackler had no option. It's a fast paced, contact sport. For some reason the officials in this game have declined to increase it to red even though it was identical to Curry's so Chile are back to 15. Consistency would be good.

I can't believe I found myself agreeing with Clive fucking Woodward on this in his half time comments. The world's gone mad.

In both cases, this Chilean one and the one last night the tackler had no option. It's a fast paced, contact sport. For some reason the officials in this game have declined to increase it to red even though it was identical to Curry's so Chile are back to 15.
It's a rugby incident, as one pundit said last night. One you see every week.

If that really is the case, then you need to end the sport of rugby entirely. I'd certainly be urging anyone I care about not to play it.

It's a rugby incident, as one pundit said last night. One you see every week.

If that really is the case, then you need to end the sport of rugby entirely. I'd certainly be urging anyone I care about not to play it.

My son had his first game today. They all start with touch rugby these days which I totally get, it teaches the basic handling skills better anyway. He watched the NZ-France game with me on Friday and looked a bit terrified. Was chatting about that with my mate and as far as we recall it almost for 40 years ago, it was contact from day one from the age of 5. :eek: But I loved it.

My son had his first game today. They all start with touch rugby these days which I totally get, it teaches the basic handling skills better anyway. He watched the NZ-France game with me on Friday and looked a bit terrified. Was chatting about that with my mate and as far as we recall it almost for 40 years ago, it was contact from day one from the age of 5. :eek: But I loved it.
hmmm. I played a bit of mini rugby at my local rugby club as a kid (this was in Wales, more than 40 years ago). That's also a form of touch rugby.

It's not about whether you love it or not, though. That's beside the point.

It always looks much much worse in slow motion. These guys are flying in. From both sides.
Yes but it looks pretty bad at normal speed to see their heads snap back.

I'm not sure what the problem is really. I've not noticed rugby getting less attractive or exciting since they brought the rules in. On the one side you get players being booked and being sent off, which hardly actually ruins the whole game. On the other side you get players with brain injuries after repeated head-to-head collisions.

I'm not sure what the problem is really. I've not noticed rugby getting less attractive or exciting since they brought the rules in. On the one side you get players being booked and being sent off, which hardly actually ruins the whole game. On the other side you get players with brain injuries after repeated head-to-head collisions.

As the live commentator said, it was the Chilean player who actually got rocked back more by the collision. I don't see where he was supposed to go. As Woodward said it wasn't even a yellow, let alone a red. But the ref's hands are tied.

And at the professional level, the force of impacts has increased - because they're professionals. Rugby players have bulked up and the forces involved have increased massively. All impact sports need to face up to this problem.

As the live commentator said, it was the Chilean player who actually got rocked back more by the collision. I don't see where he was supposed to go. As Woodward said it wasn't even a yellow, let alone a red. But the ref's hands are tied.

In that case it's a safety measure to protect both players. Again, it just meant that the player sits out for 10 minutes (73 for the Curry red) - hardly the end of the world, whereas brain damage would be the end of their world for some players.

Despite the whingeing from Woodward and others at half time, live during the match last night, both co-commentators instantly knew Curry was likely to be sent off. They could see there was no mitigation, that he had a clear view of what was about to happen but did it anyway. Those are the player decisions that need to be changed.

And I think the new system - yellow pending review for red - is a good one. It keeps the game moving while allowing important decisions not to be rushed.

Chilean player just penalized (no card) for lifting Japanese player and not bringing him down in controlled way. Similar thing really - in worst cases piledriving someone neck-first into the ground is a deserved red.

Was looking for something else but this discusses the increase in size, weight, "soar" in number of tackles, carries and rucks per game and the like over the last few years. Different rules for different times I'd say.

Interesting table on increase in box kick:

1694354001991.png
Not sure what a "bomb" kick is - one the kicker ballses up perhaps. (Eta: In rugby union, the term 'bomb' is rarely used, with 'up and under', 'box-kick', or Garryowen[7] (after the Garryowen Football Club that popularised the tactic) preferred).

But what I was actually looking for was the average yards gained per kick taking into account the next gain in metres for the opposition you're giving the ball to. I found one site (https://www.statsperform.com/resource/effectiveness-of-kicking-game-in-rugby-union/)that seemed to give graphs but the graphs don't display:facepalm:

Struggling today with the heat and the third day of heavy drinking.

I either am coming down with Covid or it’s nothing worse than being hoarse from singing and the lack of sleep

In that case it's a safety measure to protect both players. Again, it just meant that the player sits out for 10 minutes (73 for the Curry red) - hardly the end of the world, whereas brain damage would be the end of their world for some players.

I really think it's only a matter of time until helmets are made mandatory a la NFL if they're actually serious about this.

Equally I've no idea what football is going to do about heading the ball in future given recent findings on its effect on the brain over years. I'd actually prefer someone I love play rugby and get the occasional heavy knock than hitting a football ball again again and again during matches and training with their head.

Back
Top Bottom