Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rugby World Cup 2023

New Zealand have a hit out today at 8pm against Namibia. Possible first century of the tournament.

There's still no better theatre in world sport than the All Black haka. Those Namibian players will always have that to tell their grandkids.

I reckon the rain may mean no 100 points, but if there’s a team I’d back to get 100 in wet weather it’s New Zealand

Did I just hear them say its two weeks before NZ's next game? These guys are highly tuned athletes. I'm sure they could handle a game a week at least.

Great to see strong ginger representation amongst the ABs these days. All those project players have diluted the levels of flame-haired representation in their former strongholds of Scotland and Ireland, and Wales haven't produced a decent coppertop since Martyn Williams (though Patchell may disagree). SA, too, are doing their bit with the magnificently orange-mopped Kitschoff

At least the fairy dancers will be best at something this jambo, though ginger inclusion champions may not be the type of prize they'll readily settle for

Three games today tomorrow , South Africa v Romania first at 1400, likely to be one sided I’d think, the Boks have 4 scrum halves in their 23 which is interesting to say the least.

Australia v Fiji at 1645 should be a brilliant game. Everyone who isn’t called Bruce will be supporting Fiji I reckon.

Finally England v Japan at 2000. Theoretically England’s defensive steel from last week will allow the attacking shape to emerge yeah bollocks expect a lot of kicking. The England team is largely unchanged with the props changing round, and I’m really happy to see Lewis Ludlam start at 8. By far my favourite player, an all action hard working machine, would be a great captain IMO. Japan are a team in decline from the 2019 heights I think but have decent pace and breakdown skills so are no mugs. England victory means they’re almost certainly going to win their pool.

Last edited:
Todays games seem less interesting initially

Samoa v Chile at 1400, power game of Samoa with a lot of ex all blacks against Chile who IIRC try to play quickly. Potential classic.

Wales v Portugal 1645 - one sided you’d think, LRZ will want to get a stack of tries to try and be top try scorer. I fancy Mason Grady to break the line too. Don’t know much about Portugal tbh, suspect they’ll have a lot of players in the French leagues.

Lastly Ireland v Tonga at 2000. Ireland just want to win and avoid injuries. Should do both, Tonga are the weaker of the 3 pacific island teams.

Paul Williams tge ref played for Samoa in 2007, is having a good game. The Chilean domestic league has produced some impressive players.

Stuff like this is why I love rugby.

Le Roux Malan, the Namibian centre who fractured and dislocated his ankle very nastily last night against New Zealand has received a number 12 jersey signed by the entire New Zealand team.

“It says a lot about the sportsmanship of this World Cup. It is a good gesture from the All Blacks,” Coetzee (the Namibia coach) added.

“That is not just saying the ethos and the culture and the values of rugby, but actually living and feeling it. That to me is unbelievable of the All Blacks to do something like that.”

Back
Top Bottom