Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Laughing gas: Experts warn nitrous oxide ban will not stop use

I'm not too fussed about it as a drug, seems fairly low down the pecking order in terms of damaging lives. However the fucking litter is getting really bad and there's no excuse for that. Also saw someone driving with a balloon the other week for the first time which just seems utterly stupid based on my limited experience of taking it.

One of our posters posted about looking after people with permanent spinal injuries due to overuse of Nitrous Oxide.

I'm not generally in favour of banning things, I think people should be able to make their own decisions, but I'm very conflicted on this. I don't know if the youngsters up here are using it, I haven't seen the wee cylinders discarded anywhere. We have a bridge near us where youngsters congregate and smoke weed, but not using NO2.

Like everything else, a ban won't make it go away, just push the price up.

What I would like to see is an information campaign to highlight the dangers.

I say this as someone who regularly does litter picking and has to deal with bin liners full of the bloody little cannisters...
Don't criminalise the people doing it.
Put the onus on the producers - some sort of taxation on the small cannisters and the large ones a more attractive purchase (the big ones are easier to deal with).
Deposit scheme so cannisters (large and small) returned will net some cash for someone - whether the people buying the stuff and currently leaving the cannisters will take them back for money off their next purchase, or people will be able to get some cash for tidying up after others (whether on an individual basis, or towards their charity or community group if they litter pick as part of an organised event).

A friend of mine deliberately ended his life using nitrous as the method.

Sure, if you take O2 out of what you breathe in then you'll die, but no one is seriously suggesting controls on Nos to stop it being used as a suicide aid, are they?

My cousin killed himself by inhaling nitrous oxide.

No-one suspected he was suicidal. He met with various groups of friends beforehand, and no-one suspected anything.

Then he booked a room in a hotel and killed himself with nitrous oxide. His body was found by a chambermaid the following day.

Typing this, my hands are still shaking.

Last edited:
My cousin killed himself by inhaling nitrous oxide.

No-one suspected he was suicidal. He met with various groups of friends beforehand, and no-one suspected anything.

Then he booked a room in a hotel and killed himself with nitrous oxide. His body was found by a chambermaid the following day.

Typing this, my hands are still shaking.
I'm so sorry. You have my condolences, as do you cesare .

I say this as someone who regularly does litter picking and has to deal with bin liners full of the bloody little cannisters...
Don't criminalise the people doing it.
Put the onus on the producers - some sort of taxation on the small cannisters and the large ones a more attractive purchase (the big ones are easier to deal with).
Deposit scheme so cannisters (large and small) returned will net some cash for someone - whether the people buying the stuff and currently leaving the cannisters will take them back for money off their next purchase, or people will be able to get some cash for tidying up after others (whether on an individual basis, or towards their charity or community group if they litter pick as part of an organised event).
Is the litter still as big a problem? I used to see them all over the place, now hardly see them at all.

So my first thought on this was its politicians taking urgent action long after the problem peaked and kids have moved on to something else.

If you're wandering around and see a load of tiny metal canisters on the ground, that was people (probably kids) doing nitrous. Regularly see them around my estate.
Thank you Captain Obvious :D
(Sorry, as I said above as a litter picker I am very familiar with the things, as I am sure are most people here)

Yeah, it's so dangerous they give it to women in labour.

Well, they did. Some hospitals have discontinued its use, due to the exposure risks to midwives.

So, if the concentrations in exhaled air are a health risk, how do you asses the risks in inhaling pure NO2? The hospital stuff is 50/50 O2 and NO2.

Back
Top Bottom