Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Think Tank: UK state pension age will soon need to rise to 71

I don’t know why the millennials and Gen Z are worried about this. As if there’ll be a functioning state by the time they get to 70. They won’t be thinking about pensions when they’re fighting for ratmeat in a thunderdome.
It’s only an issue for Gen X. The best we can hope for is an accelerated extinction event to curtail potential penury

I don’t know why the millennials and Gen Z are worried about this. As if there’ll be a functioning state by the time they get to 70. They won’t be thinking about pensions when they’re fighting for ratmeat in a thunderdome.
It’s only an issue for Gen X. The best we can hope for is an accelerated extinction event to curtail potential penury
Apart from that you think its all tickety-boo?

My dad had a very physical job (digger driver/foreman on building sites) when he was 57 he couldn't do it anymore. Unusual amongst his fellow Irish workers, who did literally work until they dropped. He did fuck all about future planning , years of working for cash in hand , as a result he got fuck all pension , but was able to survive as he was still married to mum , and she continued working.

19 Grand per year sounds pretty good to me.

Yeah, that would be very nice.
Yeah, like I said, I'll be alright. But that's if I'm still healthy in the run-up to retirement. I'm 54 now and there's bits of me creak already and I'm losing my memory. In 14 years time when I'm due to retire it'll undoubtedly be worse. Add 5 more years to that like this think-tank advises and I'm really not sure what sort of condition I'll be in.

And that's with a desk job too. If I did a manual job I'd genuinely be wondering how tf I was supposed to last that long.

Yeah, like I said, I'll be alright. But that's if I'm still healthy in the run-up to retirement. I'm 54 now and there's bits of me creak already and I'm losing my memory. In 14 years time when I'm due to retire it'll undoubtedly be worse. Add 5 more years to that like this think-tank advises and I'm really not sure what sort of condition I'll be in.

And that's with a desk job too. If I did a manual job I'd genuinely be wondering how tf I was supposed to last that long.
Yep. I know this is so much worse for manual workers. But even if you have an office job your brain wears out. I increasingly struggle with my job at 52, I just don't have the mental energy that I had a decade ago. The idea I could be wrangling with this bullshit at 71 is unconscionable.

Yep. I know this is so much worse for manual workers. But even if you have an office job your brain wears out. I increasingly struggle with my job at 52, I just don't have the mental energy that I had a decade ago. The idea I could be wrangling with this bullshit at 71 is unconscionable.
Just now I'm alright but there's been some weird things happen lately that have made me wonder. I was coming back from leave recently and was worrying about a bit of work I'd not finished before I went off. Turns out I'd done it, just totally forgotten about it. Can't see things like that improving as I get older tbh.

Aye, our (mine) ability to tolerate other people’s bullshit gets worse with age and the only sorts of jobs that will be available in the future will almost certainly involve dealing with other people’s bullshit.

Aye, our (mine) ability to tolerate other people’s bullshit gets worse with age and the only sorts of jobs that will be available in the future will almost certainly involve dealing with other people’s bullshit.
The kind of jobs where you deal with other people's actual shit won't go anywhere :cool:

You're not supposed to, that's the point. Work until you die, no state pension to pay.

while mine (born months before 1970) is 67? That’s fucked.

they might of course raise the age again (i'm currently on course for state pension at 67)

although last time they buggered around with the pension age, i think it was staged rather than a huge gap depending on which side of a date you were born on, so there would probably be people born before this date would stay at 67, people between this and that would be 68, people between that and the next would be 69 and so on.

and when the change to 67, one of my cheerful colleagues pointed out i might drop dead before i got that old. (and she only managed a year in to retirement :( )

I just made the cut off to retire at 65, I'd have been very miffed to have had to work on after that.
Me too. But that was thanks to the EU. The Tories wanted to increase the State retirement age a couple of years earlier, but the EU ruled that would be age discrimination until the women's retirement age was equalised.
Thank you EU.

Really doesn't help does it, that some rich old codgers believe they can still do anything - eg run a major global superpower.

BBC News - Income needed to retire jumps as family costs rise

Ffs
Well thankfully at least I won't be giving financial support to grandchildren which is factored into those costs.

But however hard I try playing with pension calculators and pondering putting more money away from wages it's basically impossible for me to get my total pension above about 18-19K. And I'm really pretty well off compared to many, no mortgage, plenty of savings. The basic problem is private pensions are fucking awful poorly generating pots of risk.

Back
Top Bottom