Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just Stop Les Misérables

They want an end to new fossil fuel projects in the UK - from their website:

“The show starts with Jean Valjean stealing a loaf of bread to feed his sister’s starving child.
is my memory going dolally? no it doesn't. it opens with Valjean in the gaol. he and Javert mention the theft of bread twenty years earlier, but that's not shown.

As a fair compromise to all parties, instead of being laden with a criminal record and/or handed heavy fines, the judge should instead make the JSO activists in question perform in the ‘replacement’ performance, thus punishing them to some degree with the added bonus of making those first two hours far more memorable for the affected theatregoers than they would have otherwise been :thumbs:
I'd do hard labour before you could force me up on stage to sing in front of thousands. cruel and unusual punishment that is.

I'd do hard labour before you could force me up on stage to sing in front of thousands. cruel and unusual punishment that is.
The justice system could be missing a trick here… Disrupt the Proms? Sing in front of a full house. Invade a Wimbledon court? Play a set against Djokovic on Centre. Etc etc.

Surely that's a bad thing :confused:
Indeed.

If you listened to the news on Radio 4 this week, you would have heard more coverage of the latest temperature figures, which showed that September in the northern hemisphere was the hottest on record, then there was of the JSO "action". Furthermore, the coverage of the JSO action did not contain any information about the state of the environment. So, the JSO action was just noise.

So to you Kid_Eternity and Yossarian how does this coverage you say is good translate into a reduction of carbon emissions or related issues? What are the steps between the protest being discussed on here and wider change? And is there any difference between the mix of supportive or critical coverage? Are there any dangers or possible downsides to this coverage at all?

Reactions: PTK
I don't think JSO are trying to win support for JSO or the climate movement. Movement building has a long failed history regardless of how good it sounds. It's also not an area where you can promote or organise people fighting for their immediate interests/bottom up approach.

I hate climate change. I hate the politics of opposition to it. But this is surely the way to do it. Keep climate change on the agenda, whatever it takes. Keep it in people's minds.

The idea of protesting an oil refinery is fucking pathetic - predictable and ignorable.

The left aren't ready for this. I'm not ready for this. There are no red-green viable options, you have to pick one or the other.

I don't think JSO are trying to win support for JSO or the climate movement. Movement building has a long failed history regardless of how good it sounds. It's also not an area where you can promote or organise people fighting for their immediate interests/bottom up approach.

I hate climate change. I hate the politics of opposition to it. But this is surely the way to do it. Keep climate change on the agenda, whatever it takes. Keep it in people's minds.

The idea of protesting an oil refinery is fucking pathetic - predictable and ignorable.

The left aren't ready for this. I'm not ready for this. There are no red-green viable options, you have to pick one or the other.

Yeah I do have some time for the idea that XR/HSO etc. don't fit (or want to) into 'normal' politics, even those of the extra-parliamentary/activist type left. And nor on some level does climate change in terms of previous struggles and what they mean and how we cause change. It does leave everyone slightly confused about what to do though, and that includes XR/JSO etc.

Puzzled why it's taking all the strategic geniuses so long to show them how it's done to be honest.

It was just the once, by mistake, you?
I have never been to a musical in London’s West End. It’s very rare I’m in London. I’ve been to London at all an average of once a decade in my lifetime.

I have seen Westside Story in Edinburgh Playhouse, in my 20s (very good), and Wicked, with my daughter, same venue. (God awful “music”).

I've seen loads of West End shows, the last one was Wicked last November when we went to London for my birthday. Off the top of my head I have seen Les Miserables, Blood Brothers, Evita, Hamilton, Miss Saigon and Cats (which unlike the movie is watchable) Those are the ones I can remember sure I have seen more. I have also seen some non musical West End shows as well though deffo prefer musicals.
I believe both in climate change and that JSO are bunch of prats.

Back
Top Bottom