Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just Stop Les Misérables

as someone else said it did create an interesting piece of theatre of wealthy people enjoying revolutionary activity as spectacle and then complaining when it affected them

Well, some enjoying it as spectacle and some enjoying it as art therapy.

Apparently they do target more obvious oil-related companies, locations, etc. but it gets zero media coverage, so they do these other stunts because otherwise nobody would even know they exist.
That makes them seem even more pathetic than I initially thought

This video is an enjoyable watch on exactly why the film is bad:

Also the follow-up on why Cats is bad, which includes an absolutely spot-on explanation of why Les Mis seems just a little bit off so often.

Reactions: Cid
Apparently they do target more obvious oil-related companies, locations, etc. but it gets zero media coverage, so they do these other stunts because otherwise nobody would even know they exist.
The point of direct action is not to get publicity. It is to change something on the ground, even if for a short time. For example, stopping a train carrying supplies to a warship.

Approve or disapprove, this kind of action seems to get more attention than any number of press releases about studies showing how fucked the planet is
What is the message that the people who engaged in this action were trying to get across? It is unclear to me.

Oh dear.
Free tickets for another showing but you’ll have to sit through the first 2 hours again.
As a fair compromise to all parties, instead of being laden with a criminal record and/or handed heavy fines, the judge should instead make the JSO activists in question perform in the ‘replacement’ performance, thus punishing them to some degree with the added bonus of making those first two hours far more memorable for the affected theatregoers than they would have otherwise been :thumbs:

Also the follow-up on why Cats is bad, which includes an absolutely spot-on explanation of why Les Mis seems just a little bit off so often.

Yeah, I just rewatched them both, I forget that the Les Mis criticism is split over both... The stuff in the cats ep is equally fascinating. Also note for anyone who watches, there are some sound cut-outs in the latter bit of the Cats video because of youtube's content algorithms.

Shame he stopped posting.

Yeah I think the youtube copyright strikes were part of this. It's fucking daft, analysis like his is textbook fair use.

e2a: ah, also his stuff getting ripped off and some complex stuff. There's a long statement on his patreon I haven't read.

Last edited:
What is the message that the people who engaged in this action were trying to get across? It is unclear to me.

They want an end to new fossil fuel projects in the UK - from their website:

“The show starts with Jean Valjean stealing a loaf of bread to feed his sister’s starving child. How long before we are all forced to steal loaves of bread? How long before there are riots on the streets? The show cannot go on. We are facing catastrophe. New oil and gas means crop failure, starvation and death. It is an act of war on the global south and an utter betrayal of young people.”

“Rishi Sunak has just approved Rosebank, a new oil project in the north sea which will produce as much carbon as the annual emissions of the 28 lowest-income countries combined. It will lead to hundreds of thousands of deaths due to starvation as crops fail in the increasingly extreme weather conditions.”

“Am I not, like Jean Valjean, justified in breaking the law to oppose this criminal government and its murderous policies? Ask yourself, will you, like the citizens of Paris in the play, stand by and watch, or will you stand up against our governments’ criminal plans and call for an end to new oil and gas?”

Ive never seen Les Miserables but always suspected it glorified the use of carbon fuels over sustainable sources of energy.
These days, you would think that someone would have invented an eco-friendly alternative to the petrol bomb. What are we going to put in our Molotov cocktails when petrol-driven cars are no longer around?

“The show starts with Jean Valjean stealing a loaf of bread to feed his sister’s starving child. How long before we are all forced to steal loaves of bread? How long before there are riots on the streets? The show cannot go on. We are facing catastrophe. New oil and gas means crop failure, starvation and death. It is an act of war on the global south and an utter betrayal of young people.”

“Rishi Sunak has just approved Rosebank, a new oil project in the north sea which will produce as much carbon as the annual emissions of the 28 lowest-income countries combined. It will lead to hundreds of thousands of deaths due to starvation as crops fail in the increasingly extreme weather conditions.”

“Am I not, like Jean Valjean, justified in breaking the law to oppose this criminal government and its murderous policies? Ask yourself, will you, like the citizens of Paris in the play, stand by and watch, or will you stand up against our governments’ criminal plans and call for an end to new oil and gas?”

That's absolutely terrible. 🤣

They want an end to new fossil fuel projects in the UK - from their website:

Yeah, but you had to look at the website to tell me that. The action of JSO at the theatre last night did not put across that message in the mass media.

A performance of the musical Les Misérables was disrupted by protestors from Just Stop Oil last night (Wednesday 4th October),

What do people think about this?

I think this is a great thread title. :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom