Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will the election result finally result in ditching "First Past The Post?"

I'm not an anarchist. I am not interested in politics and I did vote. (I am not interested in football or in smoking dope FWIW.)

Last edited:
Absolutely it's time to ditch it. As much as I despise Farage it's absurd he only ended up with a few seats. If you believe in democracy then it's completely wrong, however idiotic the fuckwits who voted for him and his repulsive party are.

FPTP worked out for us this time but there will be a time in the future when the tables will be turned. Excellent campaigning from Labour to use this stupid system so well.

Labour wont switch to PR of its own volition. One possible scenario is that the next election ends in a hung parliament and labour go into colation with greens and lib dems with a referendum on PR being part of the deal (which is what brown offered to clegg in 2010). So its possible but three things have to happen - hung parliament - PR referendum as part of a coalition deal - PR winning the referendum.

As far as I know, there is no constitutional reason why a change to PR needs to be approved by a referendum.

If I remember correctly, it was used by Cameron as a way of making it less likely that the change would actually happen (and he got caught out when he tried the same trick a second time).

I'm not an anarchist. I am interested in politics and I didn't vote. (I'm not interested in football or in smoking dope fwiw.)

You may not identify as an anarchist, but it looks like you're well on the way to qualifying as one.

• Wow
Reactions: Sue
As far as I know, there is no constitutional reason why a change to PR needs to be approved by a referendum.

If I remember correctly, it was used by Cameron as a way of making it less likely that the change would actually happen (and he got caught out when he tried the same trick a second time).
You don't need an referendum to change the electoral system. Pretty certain they changed the electoral system for local elections in Scotland without a referendum, they changed it from FPTP to STV.

Didn't work that way in 2010.

Could just as easily be a tory/reform coalition deal ( 🤞not )

No - and I didnt say that PR would win the referendum. But the 2010 referendum was on AV - and most people didnt have a clue what that was - and it was being pushed by Clegg who everyone hated for selling out to the tories so they used the referendum to tell him to fuck off rather than reward the trecherous yellow vermin.

Cant see a Tory/ReFuk coaltion being remotely possible myself. They are going to spend the net five years tearing lumps out of each other - and they will continue to split the rightwing vote in a GE.

Getting served at beer halls? Burning reichstags?
How are they achievements? Anybody can get served at a pub at a bar. And burning down something isn't clever or a great achievement. I think of that idiot that set fire to the mannequin in the shop window of a long established department store, I think in Croydon, burnt the building down and 100 people lost their jobs. brilliant, what a genius!

there are umpteen different versions of PR. I'm not sure if any country uses one as directly proportional as you imply here. 19 were elected in the last Irish election.
I think the Netherlands and Israel treat their whole country as one single constituency and you get one seat for every 0.6% of the vote or something like that.

But it's not that great of an achievement to get served at a bar. I imagine millions of people get served at a bar every day in the UK, let alone the whole world.

No - and I didnt say that PR would win the referendum. But the 2010 referendum was on AV - and most people didnt have a clue what that was - and it was being pushed by Clegg who everyone hated for selling out to the tories so they used the referendum to tell him to fuck off rather than reward the trecherous yellow vermin.

Cant see a Tory/ReFuk coaltion being remotely possible myself. They are going to spend the net five years tearing lumps out of each other - and they will continue to split the rightwing vote in a GE.

The sad truth is that the British public are too thick to understand PR. These are the same people who voted for Brexit. I can't be arsed googling the turnout for the last referendum but I'm fairly certain it was quite low. Thw world 'Alternative' was probably a step too far for many.

On facebook i've seen people say fptp is unfair and we should change to pr. Then someone else replies and says "70% (or whatever it was) voted against it in the referendum so tough shit" ( yeah i know av is not pr but that is what they say) and then other people say "what referendum? When was that?"

Back
Top Bottom