Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Are YOU happy with the overall result & your [new] constituency MP ?

Are YOU happy with the overall result & your [new] constituency MP ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My previous (Labour) MP got in. I'm not unhappy; he's a pretty good and active local MP who doesn't just sit on his hands and seems genuinely keen to tackle local problems. Bear in mind that through my job I see what lots of MPs in the SW have done and some of them are awful, I'm pretty satisfied, really. Plus he's actually local, not like the others in the SW who live miles away from their constituencies.

He's a Labour MP in a Starmer government. This does not make me especially happy but beggars can't be choosers. Could be much, much worse. Better the devil you know, and all that.

Blimey, I dunno how the total population of the 2024 Rusholme constituency compares to the 2019 Gorton one, but looking at the raw number of votes cast for Khan in the two elections really underlines how many people were unenthused by Labour's '24 offer compared to the one they had five years ago. I mean, admittedly those are people whose votes don't matter under FPTP, but still.

Blimey, I dunno how the total population of the 2024 Rusholme constituency compares to the 2019 Gorton one, but looking at the raw number of votes cast for Khan in the two elections really underlines how many people were unenthused by Labour's '24 offer compared to the one they had five years ago. I mean, admittedly those are people whose votes don't matter under FPTP, but still.
Doing some sums:

2019 Gorton
Afzal Khan 34,583 votes
77.6% of votes cast
Turnout 44,545, 58.5%, so total electorate 76,145
34,583 out of 44,545, out of 76,145
2024 Rusholme
Afzal Khan 15,054 votes
51.9% of votes cast
Turnout 29,033, 40%, total electorate 72,604
15,045 out of 29,033, out of 72,604

So both a huge drop in turnout and a huge drop in share of votes cast.

I mean, it's * arguably * a safe seat, but it was arguably a safe seat last time with the previous boundaries yet had higher turnout/vote share. This time round, there was arguably more at stake, given the boundary change, the new risk from Reform, the uncertainty about the impact of Gaza on voting behaviour in constituencies with high numbers of Muslim voters. Yet Labour didn't manage to get out the vote to the extent they have in previous years and presumably some voters switched allegiance, if they had any allegiance to start with. Being quite a studenty area, there will be a lot of short-term let student houses/flats, which adds another dimension, maybe students are registered at parental address, or maybe thet got caught out by July election and had already left Manchester and didn't vote?

Yes, got a good (and local) Labour MP who should be decent.

Still worried as fuck about the next election and people deciding to elect a right wing horror clown-show unless Labour can pretty much perform miracles or almost the entire press changes sides.

Yes, agreed. The Labour Party's appalling treatment of Diane Abbott and others, such as Jackie Walker, plus the barrister Martin Forde KC who authored the Forde Report on the hierarchy of racism in the Labour Party has been seen and noted.
Starmer hasn't even spoken to Martin Forde, and they've kicked the report into the long grass, while he and his party continues to suck up to the CAA, CST and BoD. Here's what the cretinous CAA had to say about the Forde Report. Link broken.
https: //antisemitism.org/in-desperate-quest-for-even-handedness-highly-anticipated-forde-report -fails-to-pin-blame-for-labour-antisemitism-scandal-on-its-culprits/

A move to the right for the SNP (which I'm not sure will happen) will mean more votes to the Greens.

Personally I'm more a Green but SNP's stance is "good enough" on a lot of things that I vote for them as more likely to beat the Tories/Labour - or so I thought!
Not necessarily, I won't vote green ever again til Harvie and Slater have gone and possibly not even then.

A lot of the Scottish lefties I know are worried about the new government, how do you see things?
I have zero faith in Labour, haven't had any probably since before you were born :) The best I can say about Starmer is I hope he doesn't turn out to be as evil and psychotic as the last lot but he has blood on his hands already :(
I genuinely would like to leave this island now, before things get any worse. I'm hoping people who voted Labour will see their true colours before the Holyrood elections and that's the best I can hope for. Thoroughlly demoralised.
One thing thoough, the wipeout of the SNP isn't because the indy vote is down, from what I see people have no faith in the SNP to deliver and are looking at other options :)

Yes, got a good (and local) Labour MP who should be decent.

Still worried as fuck about the next election and people deciding to elect a right wing horror clown-show unless Labour can pretty much perform miracles or almost the entire press changes sides.
So true.

I'm well surprised at how few spoilt their ballots considering views being voiced here before the event

I'm well surprised at how few spoilt their ballots considering views being voiced here before the event
Perhaps not everyone on here saying they’d spoil their ballot lives in your constituency. Just a thought.

Balance that out with the poor turnout.
Am I pleased the Tories are out? Will I notice much of a difference? I'm concerned the Tories are out because they are not right enough for many voters and that they and some of their usual voters are feeling they should be further right which is where they could be heading like some of Europe. Also concerned by the rise of reform.
I didn't vote for my labour MP who retained a sizeable majority. Not a brilliant MP.

I'm happy that Uxbridge went Labour by 600 votes but it's only cause Reform split the Tory vote.

Some spivvy airlifted new Labour apparatchik though

Perhaps not everyone on here saying they’d spoil their ballot lives in your constituency. Just a thought.
Huh?, I'm talking about the poll result on spoiled ballot here in comparison to opinions voiced here pre election, wtf has that got to do with what constituency I'm in?

Huh?, I'm talking about the poll result on spoiled ballot here in comparison to opinions voiced here pre election, wtf has that got to do with what constituency I'm in?
Fair enough; couldn’t tell what you were on about from your post

My constituency went from SNP to Labour, as did much of Scotland.

I think in Scotland the vote was anti SNP, who have made an utterly woeful fist of running the country.

The real elections for us are the next Scottish ones, where I expect the SNP to get an even bigger hammering.

Only Labour and the SNP bothered to canvass, we had both at the door, one left a damn sight more quickly than the other. :)

Last edited:
Got a new Labour MP after 14 years of a sleazy Tory so yeah, I'm happy. He's also a good neighbour who lives literally across the road to me. Spoke to him a few days after the result. He'd come back from Parliament and was walking around the streets, picking up rubbish, like he often does. Couldn't ask for a more down to earth MP and have every confidence on him representing our town well.

Back
Top Bottom