Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will the election result finally result in ditching "First Past The Post?"

I would be curious to know which MP was voted on the lowest percentage of the vote and what the percentage was?
I'm looking at a few examples and MPs are getting elected on votes as low as 34% which I think is pretty low. So I'm just curious which one had the lowest percentage.

I would be curious to know which MP was voted on the lowest percentage of the vote and what the percentage was?
I'm looking at a few examples and MPs are getting elected on votes as low as 34% which I think is pretty low. So I'm just curious which one had the lowest percentage.
26.5%, the guy who beat Liz Truss. The third lowest winning percentage ever (all three are now pretty recently, 2010 & 1992 for the other two, iirr)

I have just looked up Mr Bagge, and with James Bagge you basically had three Tories, Liz Truss, and the ReformUK candidate and the independent James bagge all fighting against each other.

Between them they won about 62% of the vote. Labour slipped through the middle.

Last edited:
Balbi posted this graph on another thread. It should worry the shit out of Labour. Not so much FPTP as 'only just past the post'. There's going to be an awful lot of Labour MPs losing their seats in 5 years.

Labour going right to secure however many votes they got from the Tories and try and win back the votes they lost to Reform brings the Greens and Lib Dems into play in the seats where they were second place, reducing the majority while also not guaranteeing that the Tory vote won't leave and the Reform vote won't stay.

Labour going left to try and sort out the results of them telling the left to get fucked and vote for someone else for the last four years definitely loses whatever % of their vote went to Reform and the Tory vote they picked up in the last few years. Also no guarantee they can get back the voters they explicitly told to go and vote for someone else.

This victory is one for Centrism, but it's been founded on getting fewer votes and relying on the Tories implosion and Reforms rise. It's a trick you can only do once.

In 1997 - 2010 Labour pretty much cruised through 2001 and 2005 slowly eating away at the majority they'd got because a lot of their majorities were fucking huge. You could lose 10k+ votes between 97 and 05 and still make it in as a Labour MP. Thats not the case any more, seats are a lot more marginal.

Look at how many are 5k and under, or 10k and under. There's a good solid Labour base there in the 10k+ but that's not a parliamentary majority I'm betting, almost every other seat is potentially up for grabs.

View attachment 432266

There are almost no safe seats, especially if the old two party is being replaced with a four or even five way split if you factor in Greens, Lib Dem and Reform.

Edit: Forgot to add, incumbency weighs heavy. 2019 was fucking weird because it wasn't about the Tories record it was about Brexit. Can a Government make themselves more popular in power? Can this Labour leader do it? We'll find out.

Well, to answer my own question I got this from Wikipedia:

View attachment 432640

View attachment 432643

So, this guy was elected on about 15% of the total electorate.

Blackburn is an interesting one (scuse the bad formatting, the winner - ind - got shunted one leftwards):

Adnan Hussain10,51827.0New
LabourKate Hollern10,38626.7-39.3
Workers PartyCraig Murray7,10518.3New
Reform UKTommy Temperley4,84412.56.6
ConservativeJamie McGowan3,4748.9-14
GreenDenise Morgan1,4163.62.0
Liberal DemocratsAdam Waller-Slack6891.8-0.6

Balbi posted this graph on another thread. It should worry the shit out of Labour. Not so much FPTP as 'only just past the post'. There's going to be an awful lot of Labour MPs losing their seats in 5 years.

it's an interesting part of the story but "There's going to be an awful lot of Labour MPs losing their seats in 5 years" is a helluva leap! we had 3 PMs in one year, so a lot can happen in 5 years. they haven't even governed yet!
the votes per party chatter on here seems very focused on Labour too - no doubt tactical voting helped Lib Dems too, for example.

We have a system where the people in power decide which system we use.
They always pick the system that suits them best.
Whilst those not in power complain it's an unfair system.

I suspect Labour will keep FPTP whilst gerrymandering like crazy, expanding the vote to the young and somehow making it harder for OAPs to vote (polling only takes place during EastEnders or Songs of Praise and you need a electronic device to register).

Always been keen on the idea of PR. But anything that hands more seats to Reform cannot be a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom