Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My tactical voting dilemma - and yours if you have one

And now we have the likes of Reeves who says she'll make things tougher for those on benefits than the Tories would. And Streeting with his plans to fuck the NHS more than the Tories would. Starmer and Ashworth with their "send the buggers Bangladeshis back" bluster. All this before they've even got their feet under the cabinet table.

My dilemma is a theoretical one, which is whether I would vote Tory in Clacton to keep out Farage.

I believe the Tory candidate in Clacton is Giles Watling, brother of the late Deborah Watling, who was one of my favourite Dr Who companions from the 1960s.

But (and can't put my finger on it) I'm sure I remember reading something about Giles that signposted him as a gold star twat.

I have the opposite tactical voting quandry and I actually went to the local hustings to hear what they had to say.

Politically I am a woolly liberal, but am often seen voting Green, just because they are the only party who seem to be looking to the future.

However the Green party candidate ruled himself out for having some unpleasant views on asylum seekers.

Tobias Ellwood was more graceful in future defeat than I have seen him previously.

The Labour candidate has been helicoptered in from Oxford, very slick politician and predicted to win. Tom Hayes if anyone from Oxford can tell me more about him.

The Liberal guy is local and I liked him a lot.

So I have to decide whether to hold my nose and vote Labour, or vote Liberal and make it slightly more likely Tobias will retain his seat.

What is your desired objective? Get a govt you may or may not want or to get rid of one you definitely don't want.
But Elpenor 's - well anyone's - vote is going to naff all difference to that.

This is one vote in one seat, a seat that would usually be considered pretty safe. If this seat is competitive enough that Eleanor's vote will make a difference then it is almost certain that Labour will have got enough seats to get a majority. And if the polls are badly wrong and the Tories do much better then this seat is not going to be a factor.

Thanks. I was looking for statements relevant to the current position and 2024-2028 plans. I wouldn’t look at what she said in 2013 as a guide to current intentions.

IIRC Labour this time round is forecasting lesser savings from the disability benefits bill than the Tories, but may have some overcooked assumptions about growth which lead to more optimistic forecasts for total unemployment spend reductions.

And in recent weeks, I've found out people I work with (in a company reliant on international trade, and which has been impacted by Brexit), vote Conservative and/or supported Brexit, the latter was apparently "the best thing that's ever happened to this country".
Some people are just terminally stupid, sadly.

the survation MRP that has come out and has probably given some posters a semi says that my seat will be Labour, which seems unlikely given it’s a Tory safe seat which may go Lib Dem

I believe the Tory candidate in Clacton is Giles Watling, brother of the late Deborah Watling, who was one of my favourite Dr Who companions from the 1960s.

But (and can't put my finger on it) I'm sure I remember reading something about Giles that signposted him as a gold star twat.
Being called Giles...? I realise I shouldn't make sweeping generalisations, but I have found, in the past, that a Giles tends to be an insufferable twat...

Am on the road most of the day and not likely home until 2030 or so. My dilemma is still pending!

Am on the road most of the day and not likely home until 2030 or so. My dilemma is still pending!

Newton Abbot eh? My family live that way. Reform and general disgust will probably cut the Tory majority and yeah Lib Dems looks the best bet, although if I'm right that'll mean the local council leader is also the MP, exciting and odd.

So I was going to vote green. And then my wife sent me something showing reform neck and neck with labour here, so then I thought I'll hold my nose.

And then I look at twitter and see this

So now I just want to fuck them all into the sun.

Newton Abbot eh? My family live that way. Reform and general disgust will probably cut the Tory majority and yeah Lib Dems looks the best bet, although if I'm right that'll mean the local council leader is also the MP, exciting and odd.

Ditto here, when Labour takes the Worthing West seat, my MP will be the current leader of Worthing Borough Council, but she has already said she'll resign that position.

Yes, just outside of Newton.

Think he is the local council leader yeah but I don’t really follow the local politics

A few more hours to decide for me!

Lib dems are nailed on to win here so my main dilemma is whether go for the traditional spunking cock, write something like none of the above / they're all cunts, or draw a pretty picture.
I still haven't reached a decision on this and I've just realised I must've left my permanent marker miles away in someone else's polycrub last night (pencil is rubbish for spoiling ballots legibly)

I still haven't reached a decision on this and I've just realised I must've left my permanent marker miles away in someone else's polycrub last night (pencil is rubbish for spoiling ballots legibly)
I had to google polycrub, I briefly thought it was where a polycule lives or something but I see not. Or I suppose you could maybe try housing a polycule in a polycrub but it'd be a bit cramped, even without your permanent marker cluttering up the place. Anyway, similar dilemma to chilango's here, longtime spunking cock supporter but my local Green candidate did actually look decent, took my marker pen to the polling station with me in case I felt moved to do the right thing but ended up doing the wanky liberal thing in the end.

I had to google polycrub, I briefly thought it was where a polycule lives or something but I see not. Or I suppose you could maybe try housing a polycule in a polycrub but it'd be a bit cramped, even without your permanent marker cluttering up the place.

i suppose it depends how big both the polycrub and polycule are.

although there is the old adage that people who live in glass houses should pull the curtains before taking their trousers off...

I went Lib Dem in the end but expect the Tory will still win if the bbc projection is to be believed

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a 30-25-25-15-5 split for Tory, Labour; Lib Dem, reform, others respectively meaning tories hold on here and perhaps across the SW

Back
Top Bottom