Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will the election result finally result in ditching "First Past The Post?"

A survey from 2021. I don't know if support for PR has gone up or down since then.

View attachment 432519
YouGov have done a poll as well:
Why don't you know?

The sad truth is that the British public are too thick to understand PR. These are the same people who voted for Brexit. I can't be arsed googling the turnout for the last referendum but I'm fairly certain it was quite low. Thw world 'Alternative' was probably a step too far for many.
Every other country in Europe apart from France uses proportional representation and they seem to be able to understand it? What people exactly do you think wouldn't be able to understand PR? Scientists? engineers? mathematical geniuses? accountants? doctors? academics? university lecturers? I think all of them could understand a ballot paper enough to put 1234 on it, but who else? Shop managers, Businessman, taxi drivers delivery men Traffic wardens to be honest I think virtually everybody's intelligent enough to understand putting 1234 on a ballot paper.
I don't know how Britain's got talent elects or votes but that's probably loads of people in the country saying their first favourite second favourite Etcetera it's no different.

On facebook i've seen people say fptp is unfair and we should change to pr. Then someone else replies and says "70% (or whatever it was) voted against it in the referendum so tough shit" ( yeah i know av is not pr but that is what they say) and then other people say "what referendum? When was that?"
Most people are not interested in politics.

Every other country in Europe apart from France uses proportional representation and they seem to be able to understand it? What people exactly do you think wouldn't be able to understand PR? Scientists? engineers? mathematical geniuses? accountants? doctors? academics? university lecturers? I think all of them could understand a ballot paper enough to put 1234 on it, but who else? Shop managers, Businessman, taxi drivers delivery men Traffic wardens to be honest I think virtually everybody's intelligent enough to understand putting 1234 on a ballot paper.
I don't know how Britain's got talent elects or votes but that's probably loads of people in the country saying their first favourite second favourite Etcetera it's no different.
Anyone can put 1234 on a ballot paper but whats required is a 1 by your first choice, 2 by your second and so on until you no longer desire to express a preference. 1234 will simply lead to your ballot being rejected

Let’s get this thread back on track and stop this silliness. People should flag up their preferred voting systems. I’ve studied this at length and personally favour Duckworth-Lewis.

We need multi choice referendum on the voting system to use. Problem solved :thumbs: Now we just need to decide on the voting system for the referendum :hmm:

You may not identify as an anarchist, but it looks like you're well on the way to qualifying as one.
I mean, it sounds like Sue would have great difficulty in qualifying for membership of the Anarchist Communist Dope-Smoking Football-Watching Federation. Might still be in with a chance of joining our deadly rivals, the Anarchist Communist Lager-Drinking Cricket-Watching Group, though.

I mean, it sounds like Sue would have great difficulty in qualifying for membership of the Anarchist Communist Dope-Smoking Football-Watching Federation. Might still be in with a chance of joining our deadly rivals, the Anarchist Communist Lager-Drinking Cricket-Watching Group, though.
I tried to found the Anarchist Communist, sober, spectator-sports-avoiding, jazz-loving, Whovian, Zen-practising, vegan-adjacent vegetarian, home coffee grinding, alt rock guitar playing, but weirdly nerdy about elections Group, but couldn’t get any takers.

He was described as a medal chaser by his fellow soldiers. He wanted a medal, he wanted the acclaim, he thought he was something special even then, it's called narcissistic personality disorder. everything he did was so he could be acknowledged, stand out from the crowd, be looked up to, worshipped, be admired, he craved admiration, in fact he craved being worshipped.

He was described as a medal chaser by his fellow soldiers. He wanted a medal, he wanted the acclaim, he thought he was something special even then, it's called narcissistic personality disorder. everything he did was so he could be acknowledged, stand out from the crowd, be looked up to, worshipped, be admired, he craved admiration, in fact he craved being worshipped.
The more I learn about him, the less I like him.

You're starting to come across as a Hitler obsessive

Can't see Labour being very bothered about introducing PR before the next election, as they have a majority of 160odd - the Tories weren't arsed about doing it in the last parliament as they had an 80 seat majority. The only time they were bothered was when they were forced to be bothered by the lib dems and we had that referendum on AV which excited very few people and was comprehensively defeated at the referendum. Now Farage is moaning that his 4m votes only got 5 seats - when he didn't complain at all when Brexit got 'achieved' on the back of a 80 seat Tory Majority.

Back
Top Bottom