Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The NHS needs to get its finger out and stop whining about lack of funds. They are bloated and wasteful.

the military hospitals were frankly dangerous

the military hospitals could not support the military in Operations as Gulf War 1 demonstrated hence the wholesale change in how Deffence secondary healthcare operated in peacetime and at war

the Army does not reward experience by promotion , the Army had failed dismally to acknowledge the skilsl knowledge and experience of it;s Nursing Staff both regualr and reserve for many years
I served for fourteen years in the RAMC. How long did you serve and which units? I served in NI, Germany, Falklands and very very briefly in Gulf I. (With a few weeks in Nepal, Hong Kong and Belize.).

Your assertions are so ludicrous that they are not worthy of a detailed answer.

Let's hear about your service, and also some specific incidents to back up your frankly infantile assertions.

Waste in the NHS looks to me like a management problem. The 'solutions' that are regularly introduced seem to assume that it's a problem with nurses and doctors, who are actually doing their best in really difficult circumstances.

The "solutions" are also more aimed at cutting money supply than making it efficient. Just saying "the NHS is inefficient" invites more cost-cutting exercises which will only make things worse.
Eg having to employ people to be bed unblockers. Because the number of beds have been cut to the point where there's little-to-no spare capacity or wriggle room.

So instead of paying for nurses to care for more patients the NHS has to pay for administrators to ring round trying to find beds for patients who need them.

As well as inefficiencies, there are also too many false economies, not just in the NHS, like cutting beds to the point you have to employ administrators to unblock and find beds, but also in the wider public (increasingly privatised) sector, eg cutbacks in elderly care services, which mean that elderly people can't be quickly discharged from hospital once they are medically fit, they have to wait for assessments and care packages to be put in place.

I've written about my own experiences of fun and games with NHS administrative ineptitude before, so I won't rehash them - but I remember in the year or so before my MIL died, she had several comorbidities (diabetes, scoliosis, and cancer), she'd get a computer generated letter tell her that her appointment had been cancelled, and would be rescheduled - unfortunately it wouldn't tell her which appointment, or with who, or about what - and rarely contained any contact details, so we'd spend the day on the phone to every clinic in Worcestershire trying to find out what was cancelled and when.

This, as well as wasting out time, wasted the time of every receptionist the NHS employed at the time.

I love the NHS, without it my brother would be dead, my mum would be dead, my eldest child would be dead - and the treatment I've had, and witnessed, in emergencies has been overwhelmingly brilliant, but the outpatient stuff seems to be accompanied by an ethos of inefficiency and waste.

That's about culture.
I once turned up for what I thought was a gynae appointment follow-up after ultrasound for fibroids.

When I arrived, it transpired it was a urino-gynae appointment and I had to have a uro-dynamics test where they inject saline into your bladder and put sensors on you to figure out muscle twitching/urge to go to the loo. Which was a bit of a shock. To say the least.

Appointments for both gynae gynae and uro-gynae/urino-gynae come from the same place, so I often don't have a clue who I'm being seen by or what for until I get there.

there are also too many false economies
Was talking to my EMT friend today, who was complaining that 101 were sending them to any patient who mentioned chest pains or difficulty breathing. Almost all of them were actually stuff like muscle twinges while doing physio, or had a cold. Which, of course, were technically chest pains and breathing difficulties respectively.

101 staff don't have clinical training, they're just following a script.

I know from experience that there are clinicians available in the 101 service, as I was once passed onto one when I declined an ambulance myself.

So I asked my friend why that wasn't happening with all the calls she was going to.

"Not enough of them".

So, because they're not employing enough staff to adequately triage 101 calls, they're sending ambulances to people who don't need them.

I continue to absolutely hate what's happening to the NHS.

I served for fourteen years in the RAMC. How long did you serve and which units? I served in NI, Germany, Falklands and very very briefly in Gulf I. (With a few weeks in Nepal, Hong Kong and Belize.).

Your assertions are so ludicrous that they are not worthy of a detailed answer.

Let's hear about your service, and also some specific incidents to back up your frankly infantile assertions.
the evidence base showing that the Military hospitals were dangerous is clearly there for anyone who actually looks. Same as the evidence base for MTCs is clear and was well known ( and why ATLS / BATLs was invented )

the fact you ignore the evidence base and clearly obvious inability of the BMHs to generate needed pers without significant Reserve mobilisation even for Gulf 1 is also well documetned

Funny how you think Duration of service gives more insight rather than your Education and Experienced as a Health Care Professional

oh yes, I forget that Clinical governance and evidence base are a dirty words to those in the RAMC who don't have GMC registration

Last edited:
Was talking to my EMT friend today, who was complaining that 101 were sending them to any patient who mentioned chest pains or difficulty breathing. Almost all of them were actually stuff like muscle twinges while doing physio, or had a cold. Which, of course, were technically chest pains and breathing difficulties respectively.

101 staff don't have clinical training, they're just following a script.

I know from experience that there are clinicians available in the 101 service, as I was once passed onto one when I declined an ambulance myself.

So I asked my friend why that wasn't happening with all the calls she was going to.

"Not enough of them".

So, because they're not employing enough staff to adequately triage 101 calls, they're sending ambulances to people who don't need them.

I continue to absolutely hate what's happening to the NHS.
I assume you mean 111 as 101 is the Police None -emergency Number

in most places both 111 and 999 use Pathways software to triage calls and adopt a 'no wrong door' approach , the principal difference is that a 999 call routed to Ambulance EOC begins wit hthe the triad of ' is the patient breathing ? tell me what happened , where are you ? '

regardless of the availabilty of clinicans to hear and treat whether 111 or in Ambulance EOC the calls that come out of pathways as Cat1 or cat 2 will continue to get an Emergency ambulance response unless a clinician can pick into that call as it arrives

I assume you mean 111 as 101 is the Police None -emergency Number

in most places both 111 and 999 use Pathways software to triage calls and adopt a 'no wrong door' approach , the principal difference is that a 999 call routed to Ambulance EOC begins wit hthe the triad of ' is the patient breathing ? tell me what happened , where are you ? '

regardless of the availabilty of clinicans to hear and treat whether 111 or in Ambulance EOC the calls that come out of pathways as Cat1 or cat 2 will continue to get an Emergency ambulance response unless a clinician can pick into that call as it arrives
I guess I do mean 111, yes :oops:

Not entirely sure I follow the rest, though. Are you saying that the operator can't set a call as Cat1/2, Pathways does that?

If I've understood your last part, it's possible I wasn't clear the first time. My assumption is that if there were more clinicians available, then more calls could be handed over to them like mine was, so an ambulance doesn't have to attend.

Oh, or is the issue that a caller would have to explicitly reject the ambulance, like I did, for a clinician to even be brought into the situation in the first place?

I guess I do mean 111, yes :oops:

Not entirely sure I follow the rest, though. Are you saying that the operator can't set a call as Cat1/2, Pathways does that?

If I've understood your last part, it's possible I wasn't clear the first time. My assumption is that if there were more clinicians available, then more calls could be handed over to them like mine was, so an ambulance doesn't have to attend.

Oh, or is the issue that a caller would have to explicitly reject the ambulance, like I did, for a clinician to even be brought into the situation in the first place?
the call taker asks the questions that Pathways pops up based on the answers given

the clinically validated algorithm sets the call priority once sufficient questiosn are asked / keywords are entered into the response

downgrading the call priority requires review by a Health Professional

cat 1 and cat 2 calls get an ambulance unless the call explictly rejects one.

most of the time whether 111 or EOC the clinicians are dealing with calls that could be downgraded or come out as 'hear and treat ' first

the fundamrental problem is that chest pain and difficulty breathing and any otherp primary Survey 'failing' issue needs face to face assessment.

dismissing chest pain and Difficulty breathing witrhout face to face assessment has resulted in numerous preventable deaths over the years.

it is my understanding that one of the English Services is going to get a can of Coronial whoop-ass opened over the death of a 'chest pain' patient whom the crew who saw them face to face did not fully and clearly document the process that lead to that patient not being transported and their subsequent death

the evidence base showing that the Military hospitals were dangerous is clearly there for anyone who actually looks. Same as the evidence base for MTCs is clear and was well known ( and why ATLS / BATLs was invented )

the fact you ignore the evidence base and clearly obvious inability of the BMHs to generate needed pers without significant Reserve mobilisation even for Gulf 1 is also well documetned

Funny how you think Duration of service gives more insight rather than your Education and Experienced as a Health Care Professional

oh yes, I forget that Clinical governance and evidence base are a dirty words to those in the RAMC who don't have GMC registration

How is that report a bad reflection on military medical services? It reads as good to me, the main negatives being disrepair of facilities which is also common in the NHS. :hmm:

As a former civil servant I say with authority that the best way to improve any government run service is to keep politicians a million fucking miles away from it.
I don't mean privatisation. I just mean interference from all politicians who think they know better than experts at how to run things. They don't. They take things that work well, step in and fuck them up time after time. Then blame the organisation they fucked up for fucking up.

How is that report a bad reflection on military medical services? It reads as good to me, the main negatives being disrepair of facilities which is also common in the NHS. :hmm:
that was 15 years after the move to proper clinical governance and the MDHUs being integrated with NHS providers .

your ignorance over the parlous state of the DMS in the 1990s is now appearing to be wilful and malicious... oddly enough the SNCOs from a regualr DMS capbadge background i served with ( as a reservist) had all recognised just how ropey things had got by the time GW 1 came around

Last edited:
that was 15 years after the move to proper clinicla governance nad the MDHUs being integrated with NHS providers .

your ignorance over the parlous state of the DMS in the 1990s is now appearing to be wilful and malicious... oddly enough the SNCOs fro ma regualr DMS capbadge background i served with ( asa reservist) had all recognised just how ropey things had got by the time GW 1 came around
I never claimed to be knowledgeable about the military medical services, I was simply replying to the article you posted. So you can stick your 'malicious' comment where the sun don't shine.

What was the point of posting a link to something 15 years after what you were complaining about? :facepalm:

the money is there if they wanted ot spend it ...

commissioning is both amatter of politicla will and of getting people with an actual clinicla background and understanding of the issues to drive commissioning
And which budget do you take this money from to fund it? :facepalm:

I never claimed to be knowledgeable about the military medical services, I was simply replying to the article you posted. So you can stick your 'malicious' comment where the sun don't shine.

What was the point of posting a link to something 15 years after what you were complaining about? :facepalm:
you seem to be missing any context and understanding of the piece in question and what it actually says...

He's given up touring and the claim was "fund it from existing money" at least that's how it reads. Implementing new taxes isn't using existing money. :hmm:
I didn't realise Elton had given up touring. So, I have to admit the NHS is just irredeemably fucked, then.

And which budget do you take this money from to fund it? :facepalm:
the genuine waste we see when once again Donors pockkets are lined for providing utter shite which is not fit for purpose, other donors being paid to store it for years on end and a third set of donoros making profit off scrapping / reselling it

the genuine waste we see when once again Donors pockkets are lined for providing utter shite which is not fit for purpose, other donors being paid to store it for years on end and a third set of donoros making profit off scrapping / reselling it
COVID PPE? What's that got to do with the military in the '90's?

The government spends £26.9billion on social care and lost £8billion on PPE. Not sure that would make that much difference. :hmm:

Do you play football in a fairground with the goalposts mounted on a carousel? Because your goalposts move as much? :hmm:

COVID PPE? What's that got to do with the military in the '90's?

The government spends £26.9billion on social care and lost £8billion on PPE. Not sure that would make that much difference. :hmm:

Do you play football in a fairground with the goalposts mounted on a carousel? Because your goalposts move as much? :hmm:
you really don't have the slightest clue do you

if you read the thread you would know that this is acomment about the commissioning of health and social care , now , 200 ish weeks into the 12 weeks to turn the tide on Covid-19

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom