Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Have you had your booster jab (jag) ?

Have you ? Please change votes when you do ...

• Not yet

Votes: 27 9.5%
  • Yes - Pfizer

Votes: 169 59.7%
  • Yes - Moderna

Votes: 78 27.6%
  • Yes - Oxford / Astra Zenicac

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Yes - other vaccine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not having one

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • comedy option ...

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've contacted my local hub, to see if they could do with any extra volunteers - to help with marshalling [I doubt I'm up to actual jabbing].
They'll get back to me, but they have a large pool of volunteers already and plenty of needle operators.
These are mostly GP practice / community nurses, although the lovely lady who jagged me [just over a couple of weeks ago] is actually a midwife and also does jags at the "Centre of Life" hub in Newcastle/Tyne.

One of the other things mentioned in yesterdays press conference is that they are looking at scrapping or reducing the 15 minute post-vaccination wait, in order to increase throughput.

Reactions: LDC
To add re being contacted by the NHS, of course the people who are most likely to be missed by the system are old people like my parents, who expect to be contacted either by letter or by (thick)phone. Automated email systems and smartphone apps don't cater for them.

One of the other things mentioned in yesterdays press conference is that they are looking at scrapping or reducing the 15 minute post-vaccination wait, in order to increase throughput.
I was directed to the waiting area, but given the lack of ventilation and number of people present, I walked straight out. It all felt like the riskiest place I've been in for the whole pandemic (I work alone apart from 2 assistants I see some days and have my own Transport.)
Far more dodgy than my rare trips to Tesco, I might be wrong in my assessment but that's how it felt probably because of the sheer amount of time it was taking (they were using that airport style zig-zag queing system inside the hall and the waiting area was just spaced seats next to the queing and jabbing area all in the same open plan hall, it felt like Covid fucking central

Yes due to my ability to effectively hide away from almost all human contact during this pandemic, going to get vaccinated has been the riskiest thing I've done, albeit with really obvious upsides. I've tried to fiddle with the timing of when I got vaccinated in order to avoid periods where infection rates were especially high, but this has not been easy during the vaccine era due to the lack of other measures left in place by the government.

My 2nd jab back in july they told me to wait in my car when i asked them about that. Was different place to my 1st.

Having had AZ for his primary doses, when my Dad went and got a Pfizer booster he was entirely unaware of what the 15 minute thing was for and left instead. Good thing he didnt have a reaction whilst driving.

Having had AZ for his primary doses, when my Dad went and got a Pfizer booster he was entirely unaware of what the 15 minute thing was for and left instead. Good thing he didnt have a reaction whilst driving.
I'm surprised that was possible. Place I went (GP run) was very strict with checking people post jab and funnelling them into the waiting bit if they were Pfizer and then calling your name when you were good to go

had Pfizer at Montgomery Hall, no queue, no wait, wasn't told to wait 15 mins after so just walked out.

No adverse reactions apart from slightly sore shoulder

I had my Pfizer booster late morning and I was told to wait, but the two staff were clearly keen to get off on their break so I was able to do a runner - but I'm not prone to allergic reactions and I wasn't driving ...

I'm getting an ache in my shoulder now that I'm thinking about it :hmm:

Overall, the flu jab after effects persisted a lot longer than the Pfizer ...

Got my Pfizer jag today, no chance of leaving before my ten minute wait, what with my bike helmet and folded bike with me. They made sure I stuck around.

There were a whole bunch of walk-ins chancing their arm (as it were) on getting one with the reduced wait, but they were all turned away as the official guidance hasn't changed yet.

I'm surprised that was possible. Place I went (GP run) was very strict with checking people post jab and funnelling them into the waiting bit if they were Pfizer and then calling your name when you were good to go
Place i went for 1st jab was very strict about 15 mins and had a waiting room for it with people watching you but i had my 2nd jab at a different place and i had to ask them about the 15 mins and they didn't seem that bothered and just said "if you are driving wait in your car".

Reactions: Sue
Place i went for 1st jab was very strict about 15 mins and had a waiting room for it with people watching you but i had my 2nd jab at a different place and i had to ask them about the 15 mins and they didn't seem that bothered and just said "if you are driving wait in your car".
Round here car ownership is very low so I'm guessing most people walked/got the bus (both centres I went to were on main bus routes).

Leaving aside the medical rasons for waiting, there is absolutely no way they can force you to wait, I waited in my car with my partner rather than spend another 15 minutes in a packed hall

rasons?...raisins?

Leaving aside the medical rasons for waiting, there is absolutely no way they can force you to wait, I waited in my car with my partner rather than spend another 15 minutes in a packed hall

rasons?...raisins?
Well of course there's not. elbows was talking though about his father being unaware he was meant to wait and I was saying I was surprised about that. (And you know medical reasons seem like a good reason to wait whatever.)

Well of course there's not. elbows was talking though about his father being unaware he was meant to wait and I was saying I was surprised about that. (And you know medical reasons seem like a good reason to wait whatever.)
Specifically he was unaware of the reason for waiting because he hadnt had that with earlier AZ vaccines, so I only got to explain the reason after it was too late.

I just found the text message he sent me at the time:

Just as good as previous jabs although they wanted me to stay for 15 minutes after jab!! I politely declined.

Reactions: Sue
This applies if you are in England, not sure about other countries - but it is a bit of a myth that you need to be "called up" to get your vaccine. If it is 5 months since your 2nd jab and you are eligible for a booster, you can simply go online and book it without having to wait for a text.

You will be offered appointments from 6 months to the day since your 2nd jab, at various places depending upon available slots.

I should add that since I posted this, they are now saying (due to there being a bit of a rush on and queues) to wait until you are told to book.

Just booked the first available appointment at a centre that I can get to by bike (don't have a car) which is the 18th of December. My teenage boys had their flu vaccination at school today.

I had my booster earlier at a Lloyds pharmacy (AZ first two, Pfizer booster). There were 8 chairs set out in a waiting area for the 15 mins post-jab, three people occupying them during the time I was there. The pharmacist and the woman checking people in had a brief conversation, in our earshot, that they were gasping for a coffee and both disappeared out the back, leaving the last three of us to discharge ourselves - after 12 minutes, still felt naughty though! No after effects so far.

My place today wasn't bothered. After 15 minutes, a couple of us in the waiting room went and asked. I think the bloke was surprised we were still there. :D

They were mega busy tbf. And he was jabbing at a tremendous rate. I was the first in our batch and he did about 10 in the time I was waiting. Would have been more but he had to turn a few away cos they weren't due yet. And they all sought explanations. Bit annoying that. Be aware that you're holding things up! jab jab jab jab jab...

Would have been more but he had to turn a few away cos they weren't due yet. And they all sought explanations. Bit annoying that. Be aware that you're holding things up! jab jab jab jab jab...

It's a bit of a shit-show really with the big announcement of broadening availability several days ago, but with the NHS booking system yet to be updated, which leaves walk-in places in a bit of a grey area.

It's a bit of a shit-show really with the big announcement of broadening availability several days ago, but with the NHS booking system yet to be updated, which leaves walk-in places in a bit of a grey area.
Yeah obviously didn't check with the IT dept before announcing it! (That said i'm not sure why it's taking so long to update it)

Yeah obviously didn't check with the IT dept before announcing it! (That said i'm not sure why it's taking so long to update it)

It's not just IT, but deciding which groups to gradually expand the rollout to.

Not helped by George Freeman the science minister on Sky News this morning telling everyone over 18 to ring their GP now for their booster. :facepalm:

Not helped by George Freeman the science minister on Sky News this morning telling everyone over 18 to ring their GP now for their booster. :facepalm:
I know there are other issues besides IT but i'm over 40 so under old system I already qualify after 6 months and can book after 5. I reach 5 months next monday. But its supposed to be reducing from 6 to 3 months meaning i should be able to book now but site is not updated yet to reflect the changes. Anyway hopefully i can book on monday but if still not updated i guess it would only offer me dates after 6 months.

Yep, that was mad, not just because it'll take time to work down the age groups, but because most GP ask people not to call them and jam the lines, but wait to be contacted.

I know there are other issues besides IT but i'm over 40 so under old system I already qualify after 6 months and can book after 5. I reach 5 months next monday. But its supposed to be reducing from 6 to 3 months meaning i should be able to book now but site is not updated yet to reflect the changes. Anyway hopefully i can book on monday but if still not updated i guess it would only offer me dates after 6 months.

It might be, for example, that they'll reduce the gap to three months for the over 50s first. Presumably they're taking their time having lots of meetings to decide in which order to do things.

Had my booster yesterday at the Open University in Milton Keynes. It was very well organised, but extremely busy and I had to queue for quite a while. Sore arm today, but no other effects. My husband had his too, and is feeling really rough today.

It's totally mad. There are around 10 million or so people due their booster now at six months or longer. Do them first ffs!

This government loves to announce what it would like to do, rather than what it is doing.

I'm feeling rough as fuck today after Moderna jab yesterday. Stoopid body. :mad:

It might be, for example, that they'll reduce the gap to three months for the over 50s first. Presumably they're taking their time having lots of meetings to decide in which order to do things.
You may be right about that. Annoyingly i'm just under 50 by a few months! Anyway i guess if i book a 6 month one next week they may contact me later to say i can bring it forward. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom