Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Feminism and a world designed for men

After my second child, a botched Caesarian (stitched up my ureter), it took 7 days of increasing pain (as urine backed up into my bloated kidney) before action was (reluctantly) taken...and only at the point where I was literally speechless on the floor attempting to sink my teeth into the consultant's ankle. 7 days of being treated as a hysterical malingerer (this was my 2nd C-section, I well knew this was all wrong). After the revealing, middle of the night X-rays, a culture of silence and secrecy still prevailed...and a lifetime of distrust for my part...not helped by being a wc women with dependancy issues.

I haven't read the whole thread, and I note that recent posts have been more about gynae issues* but there's actually thing known as Yentl Syndrome, about how women die due to misdiagnosis because the most commonly known symptoms of a heart attack relate to how it usually presents in men, and the symptoms experienced by women can be different, leading to a failure to diagnose a fatal heart attack:

Yentl Syndrome - Wikipedia

*In my mid-twenties I experienced months and months of progressively more painful periods and heavy bleeding, and my (male) GP seemingly wrote it off as 'You're a woman, you have periods, you have period pain' *shrugs*

He prescribed mefanamic acid at one point, but that didn't work.

After about a year, of me being fobbed off, my then-bf insisted on coming to the doctor with me, after I'd spent a week off work, rolling around in agony in bed, taking the maximum number of painkillers during the day/early evening, and then opening a bottle of wine to get drunk and dull my senses/the pain.

I was referred for an exploratory laparoscopy and it turned out I'd had pelvic inflammatory disease and had scarring/adhesions, including on my fallopian tubes.

I don't know at what point my GP would've referred me, if at all, if it hadn't been for my bf insisting.

Historically, though, women have been dismissed as 'hysterical', symptoms not taken seriously and/or institutionalised, being... I was going to say perceived, but it's more like judged, to be emotional and/or exaggerating when in any kind of pain.

Not being believed is the killer. The midwife wouldn't believe that I was in labour with my second child until she arrived because I 'wasn't making enough fuss'. Despite me saying 'I've been in labour before! And I'm in labour!'

On the other hand my periods have mostly left me utterly broadsided with pain and I suspect I've always had endometriosis but was fobbed off every single time. It is a bit like being a cow going to market sometimes. As long as outwardly you look okay no one cares.

My wife had a coil fitted, but, unbeknownst to anyone, they punctured her womb, such that it was floating in her abdomen (where it could've easily caused untold damage). She was obviously in a lot of pain (bear in mind I'd seen her give birth twice, both without drugs, and the second before the midwife arrived, with no complaint whatsoever). I took her to the walk-in GP at the hospital, and they were ridiculously dismissive. In the end I took her took A&E and refused to be fobbed off, and insisted on an xray. Lo and behold they found the UID, and immediately carried out emergency surgery. But it had been a fucking struggle to get anyone to take it seriously, and I think if I hadn't have been there it wouldn't have happened at all. Meantime, the medical establishment (including, sadly, female doctors and nurses) was fawning over drunk (male, as if it needs saying) pricks coming in with e.g. broken hands from fighting.

Last edited:
My wife had a coil fitted, but, unbeknownst to anyone, they punctured her womb, such that it was floating in her abdomen (where it could've easily caused untold damage). She was obviously in a lot of pain (bear in mind I'd seen her give birth twice, both without drugs, and the second before the midwife arrived, with no complaint whatsoever). I took her to the walk-in GP at the hospital, and they were ridiculously dismissive. In the end I took her took A&E and refused to be fobbed off, and insisted on an xray. Lo and behold they found the UID, and immediately carried out emergency surgery. But it had been a fucking struggle to get anyone to take it seriously, and I think if I hadn't have been there it wouldn't have happened at all. Meantime, the medical establishment (including, sadly, female doctors and nurses) was fawning over drunk (male, as if it needs saying) pricks coming in with e.g. broken hands from fighting.
Sorry to hear about your wife's experience. That sounds awful, and awful that she needed you to stand up for her before something was done.
WRT the bit in bold, just wondering if the drunk fighty males (and their mates) might represent more of a threat to A&E staff than other patients and whether that's why they are given special treatment, or whether it's because blokes in general tend to be taken more seriously?

Fucking hell Athos! Am wincing in sympathy,...

Ow ow ow

Fucking HELL. a) your wife sounds nails and b) thank God you said what needed saying and c) how infuriating it takes a male voice to be heard.

Get well soon Mrs Athos

... males (and their mates) might represent more of a threat to A&E staff than other patients and whether that's why they are given special treatment, or whether it's because blokes in general tend to be taken more seriously?

I don't think it's an either/or.

That's the programme. I tried the translation- google gave a choice, one with both she, the other both he. So it's not all software, what was cited was an example of bad practice. I wonder to what extent the other examples reflect the current state of AI- after all facial recognition software that doesn't recognise black faces is failing dismally to do its job properly, as is job finder software that ignores women applicants which is clearly not going to always get the best candidate.

I was more struck by the point that by default services like Alexa and Siri- which users boss around- are identifiable as female while satnav- which instructs the user- has a male voice. The underlying assumptions there are pretty clear, as soon as someone points them out.
Every satnav I've has had a female voice.

Interesting interview on R4 Women's hour this morning. Think they said 77% of NHS staff are female yet ppe, scrubs & gowns are still designed for men. It is described as 'unisex ' but if smaller sizes are available they are small male sized & not small enough. It's a particular problem with masks. Routinely suitable sizes are not available.

Seems pretty well established that default human = default man. Wonder how that change, if ever. Not in my lifetime.
It won't happen if we don't all highlight it and kick up a fuss. Then keep kicking up a fuss.

Let's not be so defeatist. I never thought we would get rid of the Berlin wall or acheive LGBT equality laws in my lifetime. It's amazing what can happen if enough people protest for long enough.

Naming the problem is a start. Then raising it as an issue when ever we see it, especially at work. Over and over. Bit like banging your head against a brick wall.

It won't happen if we don't all highlight it and kick up a fuss. Then keep kicking up a fuss.

Let's not be so defeatist. I never thought we would get rid of the Berlin wall or acheive LGBT equality laws in my lifetime. It's amazing what can happen if enough people protest for long enough.

Naming the problem is a start. Then raising it as an issue when ever we see it, especially at work. Over and over. Bit like banging your head against a brick wall.
I think the people for whom the PPE is too male are probably far too busy to protest at the moment. I wonder whether there is anything we can do.

I think the people for whom the PPE is too male are probably far too busy to protest at the moment. I wonder whether there is anything we can do.
We can highlight the issue, talk about it, share it on line. Write to our MPs? We can help make it a big issue, so that those who are responsible for buying, supplying, making and designing ppe have to do something. I don't imagine we can do much to change it in time to help during the lockdown, but it will still be needed afterwards.

Interesting interview on R4 Women's hour this morning. Think they said 77% of NHS staff are female yet ppe, scrubs & gowns are still designed for men. It is described as 'unisex ' but if smaller sizes are available they are small male sized & not small enough. It's a particular problem with masks. Routinely suitable sizes are not available.

Sorry to chime in here as I haven't been contributing on the thread, but yeah that's common in other areas of medical wear too. The green uniforms ambulance staff wear come in sizes for males like up to XXXXXXXL, yet the female ones are restricted to a pathetically small range of XXS-XL or something. A few women I know have had to pay for their uniform to be tailored so they don't look like they're wearing a sack.

Sorry to chime in here as I haven't not been on the thread, but yeah that's common in other areas of medical wear too. The green uniforms ambulance staff wear come in sizes for males like up to XXXXXXXL, yet the female ones are restricted to a pathetically small range of XXS-XL or something. A few women I know have had to pay for their uniform to be tailored so they don't look like they're wearing a sack.
People are struggling so much with all kinds of PPE and uniform at the moment, aren't they. That is interesting, though. The website for my work uniform has two sections - 'work clothes' and 'women's work clothes'. There are about 3 items in the women's bit. It's quite tiresome being an afterthought all the time but I'm not out saving lives everyday, where it's much more troubling.

It's the same for PPE in industry. I got a mild case of arc eye during welding as the protective visor kept slipping off my head. The smallest gloves were massively too big and the overalls were too long in the leg and stupidly loose in the waist yet not overly generous in the bust because they're man shaped. My safety shoes had to be special ordered as the smallest offered routinely was a size 6.

At my last company, everything had to be special ordered for women engineers as nothing that fit women properly was kept in stock in stores. Even fleeces and polo shirts available to all staff were men sized and shaped.

In my experience women don't want pink PPE or tools. They just want the same stuff as men that's properly sized.

Last edited:
When I joined my company, we all got given a t shirt. I asked for a medium and of course it was a man's medium so huge. (Technology company so of course it's all only men who're going to work there. :rolleyes:) A female colleague raised it and it was seen as a very weird thing to be bothered about (her point was about the inherent bias in their assumptions but I don't think they got the point at all). And I also don't think they got that it's yet another minor thing that says you're not really welcome.

Obviously not in the same universe as PPE being the wrong size but shows it's just not even thought of/seen as being a thing to even vaguely consider.

When I joined my company, we all got given a t shirt. I asked for a medium and of course it was a man's medium so huge. (Technology company so of course it's all only men who're going to work there. :rolleyes:) A female colleague raised it and it was seen as a very weird thing to be bothered about (her point was about the inherent bias in their assumptions but I don't think they got the point at all). And I also don't think they got that it's yet another minor thing that says you're not really welcome.

Obviously not in the same universe as PPE being the wrong size but shows it's just not even thought of/seen as being a thing to even vaguely consider.
I think it is the same universe, Sue, as both situations demonstrate inherent bias and a complete indifference when the problem is raised. I said on another thread sometimes you just can't be arsed having the same fight yet again.

Back
Top Bottom