Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Feminism and violence again women

He was given a 30 week sentence, suspended for one year. What does that mean? What happens after a year?
If he as much as farts out of place in the next year he's going daaaahn

Suspended sentences generally also come with other forms of CJS punishment such asa fine, community service and the assocaited costs and victim surcharge,

I have been wanting to start a serious discussion about violence against women here on Urban - as it is a subject that with which every woman I know is all too familar to a greater or lesser degree.

Hopefully, the six schoolgirls and very young women (including one who has subsequently tried to commit suicide on three different occasions), collectively described as "women" in various media reports, who were raped 22 times by Kevarnie Queen (also known as "K1") in the campaign of violence that he carried out in Brixton during a three-year period starting at the age of 15 and ending in May 2022 when he was 18, will receive all the help, counselling and other assistance that they require as they try to rebuild their lives.

78935953-12861233-image-a-33_1702506558285.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

Earlier today, Kevarnie Queen was sentenced to 12 years’ imprisonment with an additional four years on licence at Inner London Crown Court, having previously been convicted of 22 counts of rape at the same court.

What a tragic case, the rapist a child himself. Where does a 15 - 18 get the idea to behave like that? I wonder what his family / peers thought of his attitudes / behaviour? The teenage girls didn't stand a chance.

Women killed by male hands in 2023. Interesting that the Daily Mail of all places are doing this now. Makes horrible reading.

Moving this convo here.

Unsurprisingly the majority were killed by a partner/ex-partner, what is mildly surprising (to me at least) is the number killed by their sons rather than their partners.
Sadly given the low respect so many women get it doesn't surprise me anymore.

Wtf have I just seen? Serves me right for being on Xitter, but a propos VAWG someone posted an old clip of Ross Kemp interviewing some self-acknowledged rapists in Johannesburg. It seems to be from his Extreme World series (none of which I've seen) and the SA episode aired in January 2015. Looked on here and couldn't find reference to it.

It's just a v short clip shorn of context, and anyway I wonder how many people he had to interview before he found these particular princes of manhood, and how much editing went on.*

The clip was hard to credit as genuine, but this is what Kemp told Digital Spy back in January 2015:

All of the stories he hears take a toll on Kemp, but he points to a film from this series - in which he travels to Johannesburg to investigate an epidemic of sexual violence in South Africa - as the most emotionally gruelling he has worked on.

"South Africa… that really has knocked me," he admits. "These lads are telling me how they raped girls - how they gang-raped them - and when I ask, 'Do you worry about the victim?', they say, 'Yeah, we worry she'll give us HIV or that she'll go to the police or that her family will come after us...'

"That mindset was completely numbing to me. South Africa has the worst rates for sexual abuse, second-to-none, in the world - and you've got to look at why nothing is being done. The health organisation run by the government, the spokesman says it's out of control... and they can't see it getting better any time soon.

"Every 17 seconds a woman is raped in South Africa. Over 45% of the half a million or so rapes that happen in South Africa every year happen to children. The one that kills me is this - a girl born in South Africa has a 1-in-3 chance of completing high school, but has a 1-in-2 chance of being raped. It's mindless. It's just numbing."
and of course on Xitter today that clip prompts the predictable, appalling, racist comments.

But these particular men at that particular time, in this particular clip, who represent no one but themselves (and even that may have been edited to show them in the worst light) don't seem to regard women as anything but objects.

I don't know why I'm posting this really, except it's a prime example of Not All Men But Nearly All Women. It really doesn't take many men behaving appallingly to make other people feel - and actually be - unsafe.
I have no personal knowledge but South Africa has a reputation for being particularly bad.

Stuff like this is manna to anyone with a racist agenda.

But he didn't have to travel to South Africa to find attitudes like this, when they're hardly unheard of in police stations, barracks and JCRs right here in the UK.

*Here's a rough transcript of the Ross Kemp clip
A clip lasting 1.02 minutes

Ross Kemp is talking to three men, the clip starts mid-conversation:

Man 1: Some of them, they’re not screaming. It’s like they wanted to be raped, see. She was OK, she no…

Man 2 [interrupts]: It’s like she’s enjoying it although she isn’t…

Ross Kemp: Do you think it’s right, do you think it’s right to rape?

Man 2: Yah, it’s wrong, it’s wrong

RK: What about the consequences of what you’re doing in terms of how that affects the person that’s raped?

Man 2: Yah, the consequences, we look at that all the time, ya know, because it happens – she might scream, ya know, people might wake up, other people, especially… a lot of people...

RK [interrupts]: I’m not just talking about -, I’m talking about the emotional effect, the physical effect it has on the…

Man 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, ah - sometimes we know that ah, we might rape her and wake up tomorrow with viruses ourselves, like HIV, you know…

RK: What about regretting what you’ve done to the girl?

Man 1: I also do regret about it because if she fell pregnant, what would that baby’s father, who will be that baby’s father?

RK: But what about her personal feelings?

[Silence. Two seconds, then cut.]

Some interesting commentary in this BBC radio 4 programme today. I was struck by Amber Rudd's description of police approach to the numbers, i.e. pride in reporting zero incidences of VAWG and lots of other points made by contributors. ETA another point that struck is the idea of 'violence against women and children' rather than VAWG as a term.

I found this a really interesting read.

Me too, shocking and fascinating at the same time. With rape convictions pitifully low, investigating some of the potential reasons for that was interesting.

Is anyone who's been following this story surprised by the latest development?

'The suspect in the Clapham alkali attack was in a relationship with the injured woman, police believe, and the breakdown of that relationship may have been his motive.'

It's a miracle women ever enter into a relationship with any man when the threat of something like this being done to you and your children hangs over your decision to get out of it.

I don't have the words for this.

'Mark Clowes was given a two-year suspended sentence last week after a jury unanimously found him responsible for the death of Clare Bell, who he refused to help as she lay pleading for him to do so.

Clowes left Bell in a scalding-hot bath until she had sustained third-degree burns over 30% of her body, then left her on a bed for about six hours without medical help. By the time paramedics arrived, Bell was dead. She might have been saved with prompt medical care, Mr Justice Calver told Stafford crown court.'

According to the Criminal Bar Association, the average wait for a bailed rape trial to conclude since an alleged offence is around five-and-a-half years. Trial dates for offences charged in 2022 are reportedly being set for late 2026.

Barristers are leaving the sector in droves because of low pay and this will only make matters even worse.

This case is making the headlines here in Scotland - Emma Caldwell was murdered 19 years ago. Women tried to raise the alarm about the main suspect but were not believed:

This case is making the headlines here in Scotland - Emma Caldwell was murdered 19 years ago. Women tried to raise the alarm about the main suspect but were not believed:

[Caitlin - not her real name - ] said: "They looked down on us. Didn't believe anything we said. The way they saw it was: 'We do what we do, so it's your own fault'".

She added that "hundreds of lassies had reported him, but they wouldn't listen".

😡

Back
Top Bottom