Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Feminism and the silencing of women

Apart from anything else it's not vilifying her at all. It's not only complimentary but it's generally positive about her writing - her adult novels are described as 'exhilarating'. Not sure how you'd read that article and see a hatchet job tbh.
even if it was a hatchet job that's maybe misogyny (which might be better talked about on another thread) but not silencing.

For a supposed literary critic, I’m struggling to find any other author he’s ‘reviewed’.

He's the chief TV critic for the Independent, his book reviews seem to be rare but the Rowling one might be connected to his background as a big Harry Potter fan

Just leave it to the professionals eh.

How will the multi-millionaire JKR survive this silencing from an amateur critic in the New Statesman?
He is a professional. Unless he penned the piece for free? He appears to have veered from his traditional fare here though to single out a female author for not writing ladylike or some shit. Just because she’s become wealthy through her work doesn’t alter the intent behind his article.

Why has he singled her out for vilification rather than any of the male writers who do similar? Answers on a postcard to the usual address.
Rowling spends much of her time claiming she is being silenced, the irony of course is that the right wing media loves to promote her while doing so,

this is before considering that her 'fictional' emissions are written poorly plus they contain casual yet deliberate misogyny, racism, antisemitism , homophobia and transphobia.

Then there is her funding overly of people with reputations for abusing women ( the cis women only refuge she has tried to start) and encouraging the harassment of organisatiosn which follow the actual law as it is written

Last edited:
He is a professional. Unless he penned the piece for free? He appears to have veered from his traditional fare here though to single out a female author for not writing ladylike or some shit. Just because she’s become wealthy through her work doesn’t alter the intent behind his article.

There would be nothing remarkable at all about a male author's work being described as gloriously nasty. Given the genre it is a compliment in many ways and the piece itself is largely complimentary. Neither would referencing a male author's hostility, rudeness or controversial opinions be particularly unusual if that were something he was known for. From what I've read in reviews the Strike books are quite dark and presumably deliberately so. And whilst I'm no fan of Rowling that's okay, it's normal for the genre. I'm sure she can cope with what seems like an honest and not particularly inaccurate review of her work. It's not silencing someone to give them a bad review, and that's not even a bad review - quite the opposite in fact.

But more to the point if you want to discuss JK Rowling, or the critical responses to her writing, or even the differences between the way male and female authors are critiqued, why not start a thread about it instead of turning this one into a binfire. You must have known that would happen. Is that what you wanted?

That's primarily an example of a Palestinian being silenced in the cultural sphere, no? And a pretty chilling one.
Yeah, looks like the issue is that Ms Halaby is Palestinian.

Maybe she is both. In the same way that JKR is a woman AND a millionaire with immeasurable access to the media.

Intersectionality, warm and wild and young and free.

But more to the point if you want to discuss JK Rowling, or the critical responses to her writing, or even the differences between the way male and female authors are critiqued, why not start a thread about it instead of turning this one into a binfire. You must have known that would happen. Is that what you wanted?
I have no crystal ball that told me that I'd get a huge objection to highlighting a misogynistic article on a female writer on a thread about silencing women.

He also mentions a couple of male authors he thinks share similar traits
Specifically, he mentions that it's exhilarating to see a woman author venturing on to that territory: "Rowling’s propensity for spite is exhilarating, particularly as being celebrated for sheer nastiness is a privilege so often reserved for male authors: the violence of Cormac McCarthy, the vulgarity of Martin Amis, the perversity of Michel Houellebecq."
Similarly, if we look at the headline, and imagine it saying, for instance, "David Peace, Britain's gloriously nasty novelist: His electric Red Riding novels portray a Britain populated by paedophiles, domestic abusers, rapists and terrorists", would anyone think that it was a dreadfully unfair hatchet job on Peace, or would they all just go "yes, this person has read a David Peace novel"?
Fwiw, that article's probably the closest anyone's come to convincing me it might be interesting to read a Galbraith novel. Still don't reckon I'll actually bother though.

It's not a crystal ball you need, that's the mistake. We're not fantasists.
It's your thinking muscle that should have figured out the possibilities and implications. Don't worry, there's still time.
The problem is mentioning someone that you disagree with on a different issue? Because other than that the criteria is correct. Some posters have disagreed that the article is misogynistic, as is their right.

The problem is mentioning someone that you disagree with on a different issue? Because other than that the criteria is correct. Some posters have disagreed that the article is misogynistic, as is their right.
Some posters seems to equal everyone else though. Given the comments in response. It's probably a terrible idea to continue the conversation about this specifically but could you highlight some elements from it that you feel are misogynistic? I'm really not seeing what you are so would be good to understand.

I have no idea why you are banging on about criteria for identifying misogyny. Is this where you think the thread is going? We're not arch-positivists either. What
we recognise as objective criteria changes according to circumstances.

A nice exercise is to work the basic principles out for yourself using observation rather than interjection.

TL;DR
Eh? Shut up, use eyes and brain to figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom