Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England vs Slovenia, 8pm (ITV)

Sounds a bit like modern Formula 1, where it's all about calculations on tyre degradation and pitstop timing rather than actual on-track racing.
oh god sounds like F1 has managed to make itself even more boring than it was...

This is why i genuinely like watching sunday league football...a lot happens! :D

That's the Man City approach isn't it, why they've been so successful. I've only seen them play one whole game this season (the final) and it was boring as fuck.

I don't actually mind if England lose as long as they play attractive football.
Man City only scraped 96 goals in the league due to this approach.

One of the great things about England supporters is their insistence that any player in the national squad from their own club should be playing.
Real club fans don’t give a fuck about England 😉 that’s why all the flags are nomark clubs and places like Shrewsbury and Saffron Walden.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how long you hold onto the ball if you never get around to kicking it at the goal.

Pep and the PL have a lot to answer for, no doubt. keep the ball at all costs. the costs often being any excitement.

but playing someone half-decent who is trying a bit harder to win the match may yet coax a performance out of them.

I find the media and a section of the fans attitude towards Southgate a bit weird. Cards on the table, I have 0 skin in this game, save a rather historical and Dublin mum derived soft spot for the Republic team I ccare little about 'a team' in International football. I watch it, I love watching football for all the joy, passion and hilarity it can bring. I do, however, find the near vilification of Southgate rather strange. Statistically, and factually speaking, (if not exciting and fast paced attacking football based) he has the second best 'record' of any England (men's) team. He is second only to Alf Ramsay, y'know the fella who managed England to win the World Cup Aye it is correct to say, I would argue that Bobby Robson, ie 1990 World Cup and Terry Venables ie Euro 96 had a more positive, 'warm fuzzy feel', uniting the support etc and getting a wider than usual hinterland of enthusiasm for the England team. But Southgate's record is, albeit a bit laid back, dare to say, a bit run of the miill, approach to regularly qualifying for the later stages of competitions. England qualified top of the table, aye, the excitement is a bit lacking, but the reaction of some elements of the support and media is funny. Some of the demands he is sacked immediately, should have been sacked after qualifying and prior the actual tournament in Germany and some of the use of 'Wokegate' as an epithet for the man himself a bit daft. The latter being a rather GB newsesque inspired epithet I reckon . Now, I have also, as has every football fan ever, gone way over the top in reactions. But this just feels a bit weird....

Last edited:
I find the media and a section of the fans attitude towards Southgate a bit weird. Cards on the table, I have 0 skin in this game, save a rather historical and Dublin mum derived soft spot for the Republic team I ccare little about 'a team' in International football. I watch it, I love watching football for all the joy, passion and hilarity it can bring. I do, however, find the near vilification of Southgate rather strange. Statistically, and factually speaking, (if not exciting and fast paced attacking football based) he has the second best 'record' of any England (men's) team. He is second only to Alf Ramsay, y'know the fella who managed England to win the World Cup Aye it is correct to say, I would argue that Bobby Robson, ie 1990 World Cup and Terry Venables ie Euro 96 had a more positive, 'warm fuzzy feel', uniting the support etc and getting a wider than usual hinterland of enthusiasm for the England team. But Southgate's record is, albeit a bit laid back, dare to say, a bit run of the miill, approach to regularly qualifying for the later stages of competitions. England qualified top of the table, aye, the excitement is a bit lacking, but the reaction of some elements of the support and media is funny. Some of the demands he is sacked immediately, should have been sacked after qualifying and prior the actual tournament in Germany and some of the use of 'Wokegate' as an epithet for the man himself a bit daft. The latter being a rather GB newsesque inspired epithet I reckon . Now, I have also, as has every football fan ever, gone way over the top in reactions. But this just feels a bit weird....
totally
the whole #OUT culture is shit...arsenal fans had a strong #ArtetaOut phase :facepalm:

I think Southgate will out himself. This, from the main thread, is probably closer to the truth than many realise.

I'll still think he's lovely when he steps down, but I'm a bit annoyed with him. I don't think he wants to be manager any more and has made some bad/odd decisions because his head/heart isn't in it any more. I reckon it was all in the waistcoat :hmm:

There's a massive sense of entitlement to certain sections of the England support. England are a middling team, historically. Only ever reached two major finals, one of those under Southgate, who's also reached the semis of the WC, as good as anyone other than Ramsay. (Also never reached a final not held in England.) So this is very definitely an 'up' phase for England.

They're historically an underachieving team, but with a section of fans who think they're direct rivals to Germany. :confused:

It was a boring game. Frankly, unless England up their game significantly, they are not going much further.

They only topped their group because they won one game, as it happens the only win in the whole group!

Not sure if I'm going to watch any more of this.

There has been far too much defensive play, and not enough attacking play.

1719400247170.png

Indeed, still as boring as fuck to watch for 90% of the time as they pass it around the back and forward and back again waiting for one of the defenders to get out of position.
As a City fan I'm coming round to agreeing to this but at least we still have Ederson who is value to watch when Pep lets him play long passes (as opposed to hopeful long balls).

The media don't help by hyping up every single decent player and squad that we ever have.

It has the feel of the last tournament for him. It was the same with moyes, historically our best manager since lyall but large sections of the fan base were upset with "negative" tactics and boring football. Eventually that takes a toll.

There's a sneaking suspicion that these players should be doing better than they are, and that falls on the manager - rightly or wrongly.

There is also an argument that success in tournaments is not statistically that dependable. Winning a penalty shootout can determine whether you get kicked out in the quarters (boo) or get to a semi (yay). Southgate has achieved that twice though.

People look at the overall result but it often depends on a single moment or a lucky draw.

It's so disappointing for me because this is the first time in years I've thought we've got a really talented, young team. Watching them just pass it backwards and forwards seems such a fucking waste of huge amounts of talent.

It's also why I'd like to see TAA in the team - I've seen him make loads of runs up the right wing with a cross or pass in behind the defence for the attackers to do their job.

No ham sandwich but cheesy breadstick things, crisps and peanuts during the match. And a chocolate eclair at halftime. :cool:
We gave up after 30 minutes and watched Bake Off the Professionals instead which i was recording.

Edited on case of spoiler

Oh and people just get bored too. Grass is always greener.

And everyone's an expert.

Amazing managers last as long as they do tbf.
It's not helped by the media unquestioningly parrotting myths, such as the new manager bounce, which can usually be simply explained as reversion to the mean after a clump of bad luck. Also, number of managers sacked when they have key players injured.

It was a boring game. Frankly, unless England up their game significantly, they are not going much further.

They only topped their group because they won one game, as it happens the only win in the whole group!

Not sure if I'm going to watch any more of this.

There has been far too much defensive play, and not enough attacking play.

View attachment 430742

Football matches like this are why everyone should strive to understand and follow cricket. Sure, you get a few shit cricket matches, but even in those there's usually something of interest.

Back
Top Bottom