Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Portugal v Slovenia

Like most people, I’ve come to view Ronaldo as a 90% + cunt (after he left Real Madrid of course ;) ). But the photograph of him crying I saw on the BBC website after he missed the penalty during extra time showed a man so thoroughly soul-destroyed, I couldn’t bring myself to go all ‘Ha Ha!’ on him.

He is burdened with a massive ego, arrogance, and often selfishness on the pitch, but I reckon when he’s playing for Portugal at least, such behaviour is mostly motivated from his wishing to do the best for his country.

I’m pretty neutral on Portugal’s fortunes, but I found myself rooting for him when he scored his shootout penalty and wishing Portugal would go through so the earlier missed penalty wouldn’t be the talking point of them going out. I guess it’s silly for me to feel genuinely sorry for someone earning a hundred million quid a year or whatever it is he gets paid, but I guess I’m getting soppy in my dotage.

The guy is a monster. He always has been. And yes you could say that you don't get to that position in sport if you're not ridiculously self-obsessed and driven but I'm pretty sure that having all restraints removed whilst in Saudi hasn't done wonders for him. Anybody would struggle to maintain a connection to reality in his situation.

Last edited:
Goalie saved three pennos. Today's BBC footy front page:

View attachment 431525

The Portuguese sports papers all lead on Costa's 3 consecutive penalty saves which apparantly set a Euro record. Very little on Ronaldo's tears except a reminder that he did the same after the Morocco loss in the World Cup , which ironically was down to a mistake by Costa.

O Jogo have a little go at the BBC

1719910588143.png

The Portuguese sports papers all lead on Costa's 3 consecutive penalty saves which apparantly set a Euro record. Very little on Ronaldo's tears except a reminder that he did the same after the Morocco loss in the World Cup , which ironically was down to a mistake by Costa.

O Jogo have a little go at the BBC

View attachment 431550
What's Terry got to.do.with anything? Is he in Portugal or something?

Slovenia played great in 120 minutes but it was Diogo Costa who produced real goods when it mattered the most.

The guy is a monster. He always has been. And yes you could say that you don't get to that position in sport if you're not ridiculously self-obsessed and driven but I'm pretty sure that having all restraints removed whilst in Saudi hasn't done wonders for him. Anybody would struggle to maintain a connection to reality in his situation.
what does this mean? you think he's lost connection with reality? I don't think he's any different from 90% of footballers - and he has far more pressure and scrutiny to deal with than all of them.
he has always worn his heart on his sleeve and he reacted here in an entirely emotional way, which I thought was quite endearing and honest. nothing to be made fun of.
read about anyone who has worked with him and they say he's always been a model pro. Roy Keane suffered no fools and wouldn't put up with bullshit - he always speaks very highly of him.

I thought his taking over all the free kicks was ... interesting. I suppose understandable he'd want to score this tournament too if this is going to be his last one (or two).

Yes. I think he's possibly the most single minded and self-obsessed person I've ever seen. It's probably what's got him to where he is today.
Ronaldo gives his son a weekly allowance of US$15,000 - used to be 40k, but apparently the kid was being wasteful...

There's no hint of a connection with reality anywhere in that family.

My attitude to Ronaldo is ultimately about the fact he has been accused of rape by 3 women. Whether he did it, whether I should be thinking that is not for this thread, just saying where I'm ultimately at. Without that, he'd be just another mega-rich footballer, who flaunts his wealth but is very good at what he does. In terms of football and being single minded, yes, certainly he's as good as anyone who has ever played the game. And being single minded/self centred is at the heart of that. However I think it's got to an unhealthy place for the Portuguese team now. Not just that the team is set up around him, but the free kicks nonsense. If you want to actually, y'know, score goals from free kicks, the manager needs to tell him that Fernandes does the job. Or to get right to it, the manager needs to be in a position where he can manage.

It's an attitude usually associated with managers - Frank Lampard's Everton, Wayne Rooney's Derby County. He wants to see the headline "Cristiano Ronaldo's Portugal Win the Euro 24 Title".

He's been brilliant - I'd never belittle what he's achieved in football, no question a truly exceptional player and all-time great. But he's completely unlikeable, and that's without even considering the very credible accusations of sexual assault.

My attitude to Ronaldo is ultimately about the fact he has been accused of rape by 3 women. Whether he did it, whether I should be thinking that is not for this thread, just saying where I'm ultimately at. Without that, he'd be just another mega-rich footballer, who flaunts his wealth but is very good at what he does. In terms of football and being single minded, yes, certainly he's as good as anyone who has ever played the game. And being single minded/self centred is at the heart of that. However I think it's got to an unhealthy place for the Portuguese team now. Not just that the team is set up around him, but the free kicks nonsense. If you want to actually, y'know, score goals from free kicks, the manager needs to tell him that Fernandes does the job. Or to get right to it, the manager needs to be in a position where he can manage.
I was talking to this Portuguese bloke who coaches at Ferreiras and he said that tactically whereas the Argentinian team go through Messi , Portugal have to go to Ronaldo. The debate over should he start then come off, whether should he be dropped so that they can experiment, should he come on as a sub has gone on for the past four years or more. However, there isn't the same compulsive obsession about Ronaldo here as there is in the UK and I have never seen the same level in the Italian or Spanish media either. When I came here I was mouthing off about him and was surprised when people just shrugged as if to say why are you going on about him, it's just typical Ronaldo.

The press here didn't focus on the tears but his resolve , courage and execution of the second penalty. Fernandes btw was mainly criticised for either dropping to deep or just being lethargic.

Forward wise they have Ramos who scored a hatrick in the last world cup and is now at PSG , Jota would play slightly to the left ( and who I think plays best with a striker) and Joao Felix as a second striker /10.

He will continue to start

I was talking to this Portuguese bloke who coaches at Ferreiras and he said that tactically whereas the Argentinian team go through Messi , Portugal have to go to Ronaldo. The debate over should he start then come off, whether should he be dropped so that they can experiment, should he come on as a sub has gone on for the past four years or more. However, there isn't the same compulsive obsession about Ronaldo here as there is in the UK and I have never seen the same level in the Italian or Spanish media either. When I came here I was mouthing off about him and was surprised when people just shrugged as if to say why are you going on about him, it's just typical Ronaldo.

The press here didn't focus on the tears but his resolve , courage and execution of the second penalty. Fernandes btw was mainly criticised for either dropping to deep or just being lethargic.

Forward wise they have Ramos who scored a hatrick in the last world cup and is now at PSG , Jota would play slightly to the left ( and who I think plays best with a striker) and Joao Felix as a second striker /10.

He will continue to start
Cheers. As a matter of interest, where were the Portuguese press (and people) at when Santos had his little battle with Ronaldo in the last world cup. I'm guessing it looked like the time had come when that young lad came on and scored a hat trick, though they then went out in the next round.

Cheers. As a matter of interest, where were the Portuguese press (and people) at when Santos had his little battle with Ronaldo in the last world cup. I'm guessing it looked like the time had come when that young lad came on and scored a hat trick, though they then went out in the next round.
Santos's peak popularity was obviously for the unexpected win in the Euros v France despite some of the worst performances to qualify in third place . There was the whole image of a chain smoking middle aged stressed looking man in a suit who had achieved a miracle with that team and without Ronaldo who came off after half an hour. However, that didn't last too long in the following World cup qualifying group they only finished second, losing and drawing with Serbia and drawing with ROI. That drew criticisms and some calls for Santos to go. They then faced playoffs with Turkey and then North Macedonia won those and qualified so he was given another chance etc. The World Cup performance did Santos less favours than Ronaldo, the was dropped due to performance in a loss in the group and was still on the bench when they lost to Morrocco. Santis didn't face too much for dropping Ronaldo but he did for dropping Ronaldo and losing to Morocco. There were question marks about whether it was the end of Ronaldo but ultimately it was the end of Santos who many, with hindsight, said he should've gone after the Euros at his 'peak'.

Santos's peak popularity was obviously for the unexpected win in the Euros v France despite some of the worst performances to qualify in third place . There was the whole image of a chain smoking middle aged stressed looking man in a suit who had achieved a miracle with that team and without Ronaldo who came off after half an hour. However, that didn't last too long in the following World cup qualifying group they only finished second, losing and drawing with Serbia and drawing with ROI. That drew criticisms and some calls for Santos to go. They then faced playoffs with Turkey and then North Macedonia won those and qualified so he was given another chance etc. The World Cup performance did Santos less favours than Ronaldo, the was dropped due to performance in a loss in the group and was still on the bench when they lost to Morrocco. Santis didn't face too much for dropping Ronaldo but he did for dropping Ronaldo and losing to Morocco. There were question marks about whether it was the end of Ronaldo but ultimately it was the end of Santos who many, with hindsight, said he should've gone after the Euros at his 'peak'.
Ta. :)

Back
Top Bottom