Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England vs Spain, Sun 14/7 @ 8pm (BBC & ITV)

Well, who's going to win?

• Total voters
Just back in. Watched the game round Spannish mates house. Fairplay, Spain deserved to win. Perhaps England should have been more adventurous earlier on. Kane subbed earlier. Ifs and butts. but I don’t feel as depressed as in England games of yore. That lightning seats song needs killing in the face though for sure.

And he's a giant of decency in a trough of dickheads.

I think he's taken this team as far as he can, I think he deserves to escape with an achievement beyond everyone's wildest expectations.

Decent people will never forget what he brought to the role tbh. Not sure anyone can fill his shoes, I just hope they're competent and don't revert to the usual dickhead football manager drama.
It's strong 2010 Gordon Brown 'somethings gotta change' vibes. Eventually the idea takes hold even though it doesn't really make any sense whatsoever until it seems inevitable.

Then you end up with David Cameron.

Southgate clearly great for the players from a pastoral POV and they love him and play for him and he has an unarguable tournament record though England are always scrapping their way through. Feels like the team need an extra few percent he can’t give them
But who is around thy can carry that on and also improve the team?

It's not Big Sam or Woy or any of the usual suspects. We've got form (ish) for only having English People As England Managers. So I dunno....

Klopp?

To be fair the players would fucking love it and it's an easy gig for him

But who is around thy can carry that on and also improve the team?

It's not Big Sam or Woy or any of the usual suspects. We've got form (ish) for only having English People As England Managers. So I dunno....

Klopp?

To be fair the players would fucking love it and it's an easy gig for him
He left Liverpool because it was exhausting. No way England job will help him pack in smoking.

I’ve spent the past two days daydreaming about a win. It preoccupied me when fishing yesterday. The ecstasy of finally actually fucking winning something. If we get close again I am not going to do it. It’s just a forgone conclusion it feels like now. I’m not going to invest in it.
Annoying post incoming: Winning can be overrated....England won lots of games , best bit about that in a knockout is you get to play again so more entertainment for us. Football is as much about losing and drawing,...im really not that fussed about silverware.
# COYS

We did have Capello and Sven, but I take your point. The women have a Dutch manager and it worked out for them, she's certainly better than that useless twonk Phil Neville.

Southgate clearly great for the players from a pastoral POV and they love him and play for him and he has an unarguable tournament record though England are always scrapping their way through. Feels like the team need an extra few percent he can’t give them
This.

Pleased that Spaniards will have to reassess what a hero looks like and that kids here will want to be Nico Williams and Vox can fucking stick that up their fucking culos.
As a Spaniard, that’s about as gratifying an outcome as anything else that arises from the victory. I don’t live in Spain or do social media, but apparently when Yamal and Nico Williams were the outstanding players at an earlier match and were hailed in the front pages as the chief architects of the win, inevitably some Vox racist scumbags surfaced on social media to lament the fact. Because you know, how far has Spain fallen when wrong skin colour children of refugees are their main protagonists. So fuck those twats :)

Ditto Yamal’s trademark goal celebration in which he spells the numbers 304 with his fingers, in tribute of his humble working class postcode that Vox has described as a ‘shithole’ because it’s full of immigrants.

As a Spaniard, that’s about as gratifying an outcome as anything else that arises from the victory. I don’t live in Spain or do social media, but apparently when Yamal and Nico Williams were the outstanding players at an earlier match and were hailed in the front pages as the chief architects of the win, inevitably some Vox racist scumbags surfaced on social media to lament the fact. Because you know, how far has Spain fallen when wrong skin colour children of refugees are their main protagonists. So fuck those twats :)

Ditto Yamal’s trademark goal celebration in which he spells the numbers 304 with his fingers, in tribute of his humble working class postcode that Vox has described as a ‘shithole’ because it’s full of immigrants.
Nice one mate and enhorabuena

Jamons rather than Gammons?

I'll get my coat.

Yeah, I've seen it with Germans as well - there was a video on Youtube of the squad singing the national anthem from a few years ago and the comments were about how the team was no longer German, because of all the black/Turkish descent players. And England fans saying the same thing, because they don't think black players are really English. Without Bellingham, Saka, Watkins, Walker, Mainoo, Toney, Alexander-Arnold, we wouldn't have gotten into a final. Germany would certainly be buggered without Musiala.

Yamal's goal celebration makes me like him even more.

Because all England managers between him and Venables did amazingly!
Even though the guy's the most successful coach we've had since Venables.
I don't know why you're stopping at Venables: Southgate has been far more successful than him.

Venables won 2 competitive games. That's it.

One was against Scotland who were ranked 36th in the world, and a genuinelly great win against the Dutch.

Southgate has won more knock-out tournament games than every other England manager combined. And he got them to two finals, a semi and quarter.

He's the 2nd most successful England manager after Alf Ramsey, no question.

Landed in Slovenia at about 9pm (UK time). Called Mrs Spy, who told me it was 1 nil. By the time I cleared passport control and got a cab it was 1-1.

On the way in, saw a bar that had the match on, so made the cab driver stop and jumped out just in time to see us go 2-1 down.

The match ended and I was in he middle of nowhere, half way between Ljubljana airport and the city. Then discovered that Uber and Bolt don’t work here.

Sitting by the side of the road waiting for a cab, I eventually got picked up by a bunch of Austrians, who sang Viva Espagna, all the way into town.

Fucking cunts.

Shoulda walked ☹️

Landed in Slovenia at about 9pm (UK time). Called Mrs Spy, who told me it was 1 nil. By the time I cleared passport control and got a cab it was 1-1.

On the way in, saw a bar that had the match on, so made the cab driver stop and jumped out just in time to see us go 2-1 down.

The match ended and I was in he middle of nowhere, half way between Ljubljana airport and the city. Then discovered that Uber and Bolt don’t work here.

Sitting by the side of the road waiting for a cab, I eventually got picked up by a bunch of Austrians, who sang Viva Espagna, all the way into town.

Fucking cunts.

Shoulda walked ☹️
A work colleague due to start his holiday today actually changed his flight to an earlier one so he would land a good two hours before kickoff, rather than the original flight which would have seen him still in the air when the game started. It cost him a fair amount of Avios but that’s what they’re for.

Poor planning, Spy :( Then again you’d be feeling even worse if England had won.

Southgate has done a brilliant job yet it seems about right that he can't get quite England over the line. What has been achieved is at the very limit of his capabilities as a coach. It all sort of makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom