Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Serbia vs England K.O. 8pm

They looked better than England.

England's defence doesn't look like it'll keep out more organised teams. And there's not a lot of defensive depth in the squad.
I’m sure people said worse about Argentina after they got beaten by Saudi Arabia in their first game at the World Cup.

England went in front and did what they needed to win, restricting Serbia to long range efforts for the whole second half. It’s coming home.

England not quite gelling - defence actually looks pretty solid - but its midfield that looks shaky. Compare with last euros when rice and kalvin phillips were bossing it. Maybe lack of left sided left back is unbalancing things as well. Also - Serbia were really good - fiesty, energetic and some real skill - Wouldnt be suprised for them qualify for next round.
Saka and Bellingham were great. Worry is that Southgate is too cautious and with this team you feel it might be better to let them off the leash.

Ref was pretty good, but early on the fouls were flying in on Bellingham, and he should have given a couple of yellows.
19 fouls and 3 yellows compared to just 8 fouls and no cards for England.

England not quite gelling - defence actually looks pretty solid - but its midfield that looks shaky. Compare with last euros when rice and kalvin phillips were bossing it. Maybe lack of left sided left back is unbalancing things as well. Also - Serbia were really good - fiesty, energetic and some real skill - Wouldnt be suprised for them qualify for next round.
Saka and Bellingham were great. Worry is that Southgate is too cautious and with this team you feel it might be better to let them off the leash.

Agreed. Thought Guehi was excellent too. The left side is a worry, not confident that Luke Shaw will make it. Other than that, ‘if’ there is a plan to grow into the tournament, tweak tactics to suit opponents etc, then I’m happy with an under the radar performance in the first game, with a few things to work on.

And yes, Serbia have some very good players who turned up in the 2nd half

Had to miss the last few minutes cos I needed to leave early to get my bus home because it'd be an hour till the next one if I missed it. Someone pointed out "well, you could've left after the first thirteen minutes and you'd not have missed too much."

Thought the first 30 minutes were really exciting. Lots of lovely passing and movement, keeping Serbia stretched. After that I'm not sure what happened. Either we didnt have the legs, or Serbia found their speed and managed to press us out of the game. Probably a bit of both. Still think we deserved the win, but Serbia were well organized and once they'd got into their game plan they looked likely to get one or two goals.

Yeah I was surprised how quiet Foden was. We'll need him involved more / linking up with Bellingham against better opposition I think.

Back
Top Bottom