Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England vs Spain, Sun 14/7 @ 8pm (BBC & ITV)

Well, who's going to win?

• Total voters
I mean it's important to show the support but I'm glad we only have to wait until next year for the main event!!!

As a Spaniard, that’s about as gratifying an outcome as anything else that arises from the victory. I don’t live in Spain or do social media, but apparently when Yamal and Nico Williams were the outstanding players at an earlier match and were hailed in the front pages as the chief architects of the win, inevitably some Vox racist scumbags surfaced on social media to lament the fact. Because you know, how far has Spain fallen when wrong skin colour children of refugees are their main protagonists. So fuck those twats :)

Ditto Yamal’s trademark goal celebration in which he spells the numbers 304 with his fingers, in tribute of his humble working class postcode that Vox has described as a ‘shithole’ because it’s full of immigrants.
Brilliant, I'm (almost) glad you won now.

And for people criticizing Kane ... well what can you expect when they didn't play TAA feeding pinpoint crosses right to his head :rolleyes:

... and for people criticizing TAA's poor defensive performance we should just have played him in front of three defenders following him round in a V-formation for the whole match like Italy did with Ravioli in the 70s.

Or maybe it's not the manager but the players.... The Spanish standout players had no equivalent in the England side
Tbf the teams have totally different formations and tactics. Spain like to attack the space so fast pacy players who have an eye for for that space and goal and midfielders arriving are going to stand out. in their formations. England have players that can do that but they arent set up to do that.

Tbf the teams have totally different formations and tactics. Spain like to attack the space so fast pacy players who have an eye for for that space and goal and midfielders arriving are going to stand out. in their formations. England have players that can do that but they aren't set up to do that.
I'll take your word because I don't really know what the England tactic was. Was it pass it back to Pickford to hoof up?

Pickford made some great saves, but at least one of them was as a result of him hoofing it randomly up the field. 5 passes later he had to make a fantastic save because it went straight to Spain.
on one of the 424 youtube analysis vidoes they had his pass map, and basically in the majority of cases his long boots upfield are turnovers

I don't know why you're stopping at Venables: Southgate has been far more successful than him.

Venables won 2 competitive games. That's it.

One was against Scotland who were ranked 36th in the world, and a genuinelly great win against the Dutch.

Southgate has won more knock-out tournament games than every other England manager combined. And he got them to two finals, a semi and quarter.

He's the 2nd most successful England manager after Alf Ramsey, no question.
Venables is the one I grew up with. I was a bit young for Taylor.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the Southgate positivity on here and not the usual 'oh he came second and nobody remembers the losers, he's shit, he's squandering amazing players'. Like, are England shit or not? Because the anti-Southgate crowd always like to go on about how bad the team is as well.

Good to see the Spanish media are being humble and understated in their response to their win....

“England will have to find a new Sir Francis Drake to sink the Spanish fleet, now that Spain – which has won the Nations League and the Euros in the space of just a year – threatens to dominate the seas of international football just as Phillip II’s fleet ruled the waves five centuries ago,” said Buxeres. “Fifty-eight years have now passed since England last seized some booty, and it will have to go on waiting to enjoy the sport it so lovingly invented.”

And for people criticizing Kane ... well what can you expect when they didn't play TAA feeding pinpoint crosses right to his head :rolleyes:

... and for people criticizing TAA's poor defensive performance we should just have played him in front of three defenders following him round in a V-formation for the whole match like Italy did with Ravioli in the 70s.
:weed:
Simple truth is that Big Managers make the Big calls.

Look no further than Clough and Archie Gemmill.

Gemmill may hate Clough to this day, but Forest had silverware in the cabinet.

The venue where I watched the game had a total power cut after the equaliser!

eng-spain-2-24-01.jpg

I watched it in my local Spoons in east London, no such problems, great vibe too. Say what you like about Spoons but they do have lovely venues. And table service so you don't need to stand ten deep at the bar while the crucial goal goes in.

Back
Top Bottom