Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2023

Just woken up to this. Another crazy day in the world of bazball I see :D Declaring? wtf.

Crawley. What can you say anymore. I know I say this every series, but surely this has to be his last if he doesn't get at least one score. That other guy, Lees, must be feeling a little aggrieved.
I don't think Lees will come back though. He didn't look up to it either.

There were some questions over Duckett in these conditions. He's answering those atm. Looked very good when I watched last night. A huge contrast with Crawley.

I think Hameed may be back in for Crawley soon, but there's also the tricky question of Bairstow. Pope or Brook could be asked to open.

I'd be very surprised if they went for Hameed. He hasn't really made a strong case anyway and I don't think what he potentially offers is what they want. I think pushing someone else up the order is more likely - I'd guess Brook as the most likely candidate but who knows.

Or they could just keep going with Crawley regardless of how he does.

I'd be very surprised if they went for Hameed. He hasn't really made a strong case anyway and I don't think what he potentially offers is what they want. I think pushing someone else up the order is more likely - I'd guess Brook as the most likely candidate but who knows.

They're effectively playing with 10 players with Crawley in there. Which makes their achievements even more impressive. I wouldn't move Brook from his present position. Seems to be working quite well for him.

So apparently this was the second fastest declaration in test history. they must be scratching around for records now.

Hameed was the highest scorer in the 2nd division last season, and one of the highest scorers in the 50-over comp as well. In both competitions he upped his strike rate. He was made captain of the Lions for their recent Sri Lanka tour. Scored an 80-odd at a brisk rate in the first game. Says he has gone back to how he played at school, looking for his shots. I'd say he's done all he can to make his case since he was dropped, and it's clear England still have him on the radar.

Having said that, I also think they will opt to push someone up the order if Crawley continues to fail. tbh he'd have been better off last night if that first catch had been taken. As it was, he was given another two overs to show how all over the place he was. It concerns me that he seems to repeat mistakes. Charged at Southee to negate the swing but only managed to edge to third slip. Did he think hmmm, maybe not a good idea? Nope, he did exactly the same thing again and got exactly the same result.

Last edited:
Just seen some very bowler friendly highlights on youtube where they showed a lot of balls beating the bat etc. I think they showed nearly all of Crawley's 'innings'. Horrific stuff.

Small criticism is I think this approach is most affecting Root and maybe he should be given license not to go at it quite like everyone else does. Two ramps before you've even made 15 seems a tad unnecessary for a player of his quality.

Just seen some very bowler friendly highlights on youtube where they showed a lot of balls beating the bat etc. I think they showed nearly all of Crawley's 'innings'. Horrific stuff.

Small criticism is I think this approach is most affecting Root and maybe he should be given license not to go at it quite like everyone else does. Two ramps before you've even made 15 seems a tad unnecessary for a player of his quality.

Yeh. Brook seems to be doing pretty damn well playing mostly like Root used to. Is he trying a bit too hard to fit in? As far as i recall his strike rate wasn't bad the way he was playing anyway.

Ha. I think I watched that too. They missed out the inside edge that just missed the stumps. :D I was watching live and he managed to middle one ball.

Totally agree about Root. tbh Stokes was slogging wildly as well. The great thing about Duckett's innings was that he wasn't slogging. They were mostly pure shots - lots of cover drives and cuts.

There are some batsmen who waste loads of deliveries scoring sweet fuck all. At least Zak doesn't bother with that. Why waste time, just get back in that pavilion and back to your crossword.

I've said this a few times before. Whatever Zak Crawley is, he's not an opener. He is clearly bothered by the play and miss. A good opener is phlegmatic about such things. It's gonna happen sometimes. Some days it's gonna happen a lot. Just don't start chasing it and hope it swings too much. Until he came down the wicket, he was nowhere near Southee's booming outswingers. That's actually ok! Some days will be your days, other days won't. That's the opener's lot.

Having said that, after watching the highlights, it seems clear that getting down the track to negate the swing was a team tactic, not just Crawley's idea. He just did it spectacularly badly.

Boult would have ripped through that top order on that wicket with the new ball. Bonkers he had his feet up at home.

I think you're right, Crawley's not an opener. Has he ever played in the middle order to an old ball?

As much as Crawley was a horror show, Duckett was mightily impressive. He rattled the Kiwis and they bowled him some freebies as a result. He might have done the same to Boult as well. I wasn't totally sold on the idea of his recall, but he's doing brilliantly so far, and really looks the part.

This plan would have worked out perfectly if they had only taken that last wicket…

Well if there was ever a time for Pope to, y'know, score some runs in the second innings, it's now. The odds are heavily against him.

Well if there was ever a time for Pope to, y'know, score some runs in the second innings, it's now. The odds are heavily against him.
It could be a good scenario for Pope in the morning. The Nighthawk (!) will be swinging the bat and generally creating merry mayhem at one end, so if (and it's a big if) Broad turns out to be more than a cameo the fella at the other end could quietly stick a few runs on the board without anyone really noticing. The pitch is deteriorating with some uneven bounce, but it's not bad so a set batter could cash in.

It could be a good scenario for Pope in the morning. The Nighthawk (!) will be swinging the bat and generally creating merry mayhem at one end, so if (and it's a big if) Broad turns out to be more than a cameo the fella at the other end could quietly stick a few runs on the board without anyone really noticing. The pitch is deteriorating with some uneven bounce, but it's not bad so a set batter could cash in.

I admire your optimism.

Like I said, his time is now. His last 5 second innings scores are 0, 5, 11*, 15 and 4. In 26 attempts he's scored one fifty (82). His next highest is 39. He averages something like 15. How does he get away with this?

I admire your optimism.

Like I said, his time is now. His last 5 second innings scores are 0, 5, 11*, 15 and 4. In 26 attempts he's scored one fifty (82). His next highest is 39. He averages something like 15. How does he get away with this?
First class average of 50? Decent first innings stats? I completely agree it's a problem, but I'm guessing the selectors see enough in his first innings scores and technique to persevere with him.

And Bairstow is missing of course, otherwise his place might be under more threat - Root, Stokes and Brook certainly aren't.

This does feel like a bit of village cricket. Bring on the Ashes. NZ will be crushed here.

I wanna see how Starc, Hazlewood, Lyon et al cope with this.

Back
Top Bottom