Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2023

Bump Brook up to open and drop Crawley. Seems the obvious solution to me.

Only problem could be the length of the tail. If England want Leech as the spinner, that leaves a relatively ropey batter at 8.

Re: Foakes, he's averaging well over 40 since Bazball and a cricinfo article the other day pointed out just how valuable all his bazball innings have been. He's a bit of an insurance policy at 7 and his anti-bazball ways might actually be a big plus about him.

I wouldn't move Brook from his present position. Bairstow's been assured he'll be back in the side as soon as he's fit, so a straight swap for Crawley. I wouldn't upset a winning formula too much. Bairstow and Duckett opening would be amazing. Imagine having eleven players contributing in the side. They've been doing all this with effectively 10.

I'd be surprised if Bairstow is gonna be back that quickly though. I had a similar injury and I couldn't walk properly for about 9 months. I know he's got the best docs on him but still. It'll be a while yet. And he'll never be able to move quite the same.

Bump Brook up to open and drop Crawley. Seems the obvious solution to me.

If they're doing all this mad shit (and they are) then why not have Stokes himself open. If he's determined to smash it to set the tone let him go at it from ball one. He'd probably do as well as Crawley then could go and put his feet up while he waits to bowl.

It would certainly be entertaining watching him try and hit Pat Cummins out the ground on the first ball of the Ashes.

If they're doing all this mad shit (and they are) then why not have Stokes himself open. If he's determined to smash it to set the tone let him go at it from ball one. He'd probably do as well as Crawley then could go and put his feet up while he waits to bowl.

It would certainly be entertaining watching him try and hit Pat Cummins out the ground on the first ball of the Ashes.

Thing is Stokes does have a Boycott mode, remember the start of his legendary Headingly innings?. The downside he's an active captain and does the hard yards bowling on occasion. He could really do with putting his feet up a bit in between innings.

They’re not doing Bazball. This is fairly standard batting.
Not quite. They're dancing down the pitch at the opening bowlers. Duckett went hard at a ball that many openers would have left.

I'm not going to criticise but this isn't quite standard batting even if the scoring rate isn't all that right now.

Getting closer to the pitch of the ball is sensible batting in these conditions. Its not fancy, razzmatazz whacking it

I hope Root just plays his normal game this innings.

Crawley surely has only one more innings to save his test career. Surely.

Lol. Apparently Crawley has the second highest strike rate for any opener in the world this year. That doesn't quite take into account that he's scoring 4 off 6 deliveries most of the time.

I quite liked the suggestion of sending in the Nighthawk if a wicket fell just before lunch.

England's got this in the bag. The ball's not swinging anymore and the pitch is getting browner by the minute.

Steady! It's ok. Given the conditions, you accept a few early wickets. But it's only that. Could have been blown away in that session and weren't. Glad to see Root batting sensibly. He should probably be banned from calling quick singles, though. He's really bad at them.

I've watched a fair bit of late night NZ tests in the last few years. NZ could easily score 500 here if they bat on days 2 and 3. The bounce is true and there's a bit of pace. When the ball gets old and stops moving, it's a great wicket to bat on.

Interesting that it's also spinning. Warne always said that if it seams it will spin.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom