Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2023

I've seen that before with NZ pitches. Really green first up, but still just about playable. Then flattening out over the five days. NZ pitches appear to obey their own rules.

I'm not sure i like this picture. I look forward to the Ashes where's genuine hatred. Not strolls along the beach together. Presumably this must have been after a publicity shoot or something as it'd be even weirder if they wear whites on their days off.

354445.6.jpg

Kyle Jamieson's out of the series and for the foreseeable future. His back stress fracture has returned. That's a shame.

Is anything being done about the back stress fracture thing? Research into managing it etc? It seems impossible to me that it won't blow up at some point whether that be legal action or bowlers just deciding to stick to T20s. They can't just keep shrugging their shoulders every time another quick is out for six months with one as if it's some unfathomable one off.

I'm not sure i like this picture. I look forward to the Ashes where's genuine hatred. Not strolls along the beach together. Presumably this must have been after a publicity shoot or something as it'd be even weirder if they wear whites on their days off.

354445.6.jpg
Hatred? You do talk an awful lot of shit on this thread.

Competitive, aggressive cricket is great. But hatred in the context of sport is preposterous.

Hatred? You do talk an awful lot of shit on this thread.

Competitive, aggressive cricket is great. But hatred in the context of sport is preposterous.

Nah, I like it. Sorry. It sparks things up when you've got Mitchell Johnson getting relentless stick from the crowd or Kohli sledging away from first slip.

Have you ever heard of Bodyline? Ie, probably the most famous test series of all time? Methinks it is you with a mouthful of shit my friend. But hey, if you like these love-ins - each to their own.

Nah, I like it. Sorry. It sparks things up when you've got Mitchell Johnson getting relentless stick from the crowd or Kohli sledging away from first slip.

Have you ever heard of Bodyline? Ie, probably the most famous test series of all time? Methinks it is you with a mouthful of shit my friend. But hey, if you like these love-ins - each to their own.
That's it is it? It's either hatred or a love in? Ridiculous :)

NZ are of course the nicest team in the history of sport or something but I'd prefer a bit of niggle personally.

Is anything being done about the back stress fracture thing? Research into managing it etc? It seems impossible to me that it won't blow up at some point whether that be legal action or bowlers just deciding to stick to T20s. They can't just keep shrugging their shoulders every time another quick is out for six months with one as if it's some unfathomable one off.
What can you do? It's the repeated jarring of the back on delivery that does it. Maybe better boots would help? I know kids have the number of overs in a spell limited now. But stress fractures seem to endure well into a player's 20s. Jamieson's an example where he would have played in the past as he doesn't have any pain and it was picked up in a routine scan. Bit like with the rugby concussion problem, advances in medicine have revealed the extent of the problem, but there's no obvious way to fix it.

Huge shame that Jamieson's out. Boult not considered for selection. Henry not available. It's a very weakened NZ team. I always want all the best players fit and raring to go (ETA there was one exception to that, if I'm honest, involving someone treading on a ball in warm-up), but as with Shaheen Shah Afridi missing the Pakistan series, this is a big boost to England's chances.

Jamieson reminded me of Joel Garner when I watched him bowl on debut, and he has been building Garner-esque career stats. Did Big Bird bowl through undiagnosed stress fractures that he dismissed as 'a stiff back'? Probably.

Last edited:
I'm a bit surprised they didn't go for Boult in the circumstances. He's at home apparently, a 20-minute drive from the ground. Looks like he's played his last test match. :(

What can you do? It's the repeated jarring of the back on delivery that does it. Maybe better boots would help? I know kids have the number of overs in a spell limited now. But stress fractures seem to endure well into a player's 20s. Jamieson's an example where he would have played in the past as he doesn't have any pain and it was picked up in a routine scan. Bit like with the rugby concussion problem, advances in medicine have revealed the extent of the problem, but there's no obvious way to fix it.

Well although they haven't eliminated it of course rugby has done a lot to try and manage it, although not without plenty of controversy (recent banning of tackles above the waist seems to have really stirred it up. From a non-expert view the obvious one is going to be about workload management - in training as well as in matches.

AFAIU the key thing in rugby has been a recognition (albeit through being forced to by a legal threat) of a responsibility to assess risks and manage it accordingly - which doesn't mean eliminating it but it is a step further than cricket has gone wrt stress fractures.

BTW if you're not aware of it I think you'd enjoy the Real Science of Sport podcast on a lot of this stuff.

Last edited:
Wow. Yeh, leaving Boult out, particularly on that 'wicket' is insane if he was willing to play. It's really not a good NZ team is it. England's batsmen will be licking their lips.

Jamieson made some ridiculous amount of money in that covid-aborted IPL (where he was a total dud) so at least he's gonna be ok financially. But surely he must be thinking that's it for test cricket.

Jamieson made some ridiculous amount of money in that covid-aborted IPL (where he was a total dud) so at least he's gonna be ok financially. But surely he must be thinking that's it for test cricket.
He's only 28 so still relatively young. Red ball is his strength, and NZ don't play that many tests so there's still plenty of time for more lucrative stuff (which is why Boult's decision disappointed me). Luckily most cricketers are far more keen on playing tests than you seem to think they are. ;)

NZ are of course the nicest team in the history of sport or something but I'd prefer a bit of niggle personally.
I occasionally watch UFC (although with decreasing frequency as it's such a cesspool) and I can't stand the fake antagonism crap. Watched one fight the other month where at the end, two fighters who were watching the bout and due to meet soon, stepped into the ring to give it all that, and then when they assumed the cameras had moved on, had a fist bump and a friendly word. To me, that last exchange is more interesting. The knuckle dragging fakery that some fools (both fighters and fans) take too seriously turns me off.

Well that's an entirely different 'sport' (although its pushing it to call it that).

I'd rather see daggers in their eyes as Stokes targets Southee's body with a couple of overs to go. That's sport. I love it. But it ain't gonna happen.

Let's wait for the Ashes with Archer aiming bullets at Davey Warner. You know you'll be enjoying that.

Crawley dropped in the first over, bowled next over by Wagner but a NB.

Commentator: Zac Crawley, being Zac Crawley doing Zac Crawley things.

And sure enough.

Danced down the pitch twice and edged to third slip twice. Bowled off a no ball. Two wafty play and miss. One inside edge past the stumps for runs. Quite a packed three overs.

Brave and inspired. The earliest ever first innings declaration (other than one effectively forced on Pakistan due to injury). And it’s already paid off.

Taking control of the conditions.

Just woken up to this. Another crazy day in the world of bazball I see :D Declaring? wtf.

Crawley. What can you say anymore. I know I say this every series, but surely this has to be his last if he doesn't get at least one score. That other guy, Lees, must be feeling a little aggrieved.

I would love to see them declare on the first day against the Aussies. Can you imagine their humiliated little faces.

Back
Top Bottom