Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Check in when you have voted in the 2024 general election

Have you voted yet?

• Yes, postally

• Yes, in person

• No, not yet - I will change my answer when I do

• I will not be voting in this election

Results are only viewable after voting.
If you live in Tooting then you might be right. I saw him once on Balham High Street and then I found out he lives there

It was off brixton hill, which is where he lives. I have seen him many times over many years including nearly being run over by him. Also the person with him was Jo Unwin.

Tories desperate to keep their Gammon of choice or disillusioned voters desperate to replace him with a grey middle manager?
Difficult to say really from the look of the people inside the polling station.

The only teller on the door was a LibDem. She said that as far as she was aware none of the other parties were sending tellers to sit alongside her. It doesn't look as though the others are trying to get the vote out around this polling station. .

Amused the polling clerks by taking my 6 year old with me and trying to explain voting and democracy to her while we were in there.

I did this with mine at the Mayoral elections - sending him back and forth with the pieces of paper. He was very amused that all this was happening in his school lunch hall!

I've not yet voted. The Labour candidate is Steve Reed, former leader of Lambeth BC, so not sure how I feel about that.

All this reminds me of something.

What are the rules about the location of polling stations because I remember about 25 years ago I had to get a bus to go and vote and I didn't live in the countryside I lived bang smack in the middle of a big city?

- I always vote by post now.

Difficult to say really from the look of the people inside the polling station.

The only teller on the door was a LibDem. She said that as far as she was aware none of the other parties were sending tellers to sit alongside her. It doesn't look as though the others are trying to get the vote out around this polling station. .
Does that even work? I was a teller one year for the Green Party I don't actually remember what we was meant to do with all the information we had, I certainly didn't go around knocking people up.

I went on the way to my shops.
As usual not with with any great enthusiasm - especially as I helped dilute the vote.
No dogs, but I crossed the path of a black cat on the way back ...
I found someone's debit card on the way back - plus a few other things they'll miss and am trying to reconnect them with it...

1720087187127.png

Does that even work? I was a teller one year for the Green Party I don't actually remember what we was meant to do with all the information we had, I certainly didn't go around knocking people up.
I did it once back in the 1980s when I was a student as a favour to my housemate who was a labour councillor. I seem to remember we passed the data onto someone who had a list of known supporters and they co-ordinated the knocking up. I assume the same sort of thing happens now.

Only person in Canton polling station in Cardiff West, no tellers. Was swaying on voting Plaid or Green but opted for former as they are better placed to push Tories into third and apply pressure from the left around here (Westminster constituency is safe Labour, council and Senedd seats increasingly less so).

I did it once back in the 1980s when I was a student as a favour to my housemate who was a labour councillor. I seem to remember we passed the data onto someone who had a list of known supporters and they co-ordinated the knocking up. I assume the same sort of thing happens now.
That probably sounds about right.

There are two snap general elections this week, both are going to rebound massively on the person that called them. I wonder why they called them? A Catastrophic lack of judgement. -

Last edited:
I went just after 8. They were doing a brisk trade. A short queue to get in, getting longer by the minute.
As I was leaving I heard a man ask the clerk at the door if his work ID would do.
Only tellers were Lib Dem and Tory. It's a top Lib Dem target seat and Labour haven't been botheing so much here.

BTW, not much point in having tellers if you can't cover the whole day - you'd risk calling up people you missed because they'd voted in the meantime. And although tellers tend to be civil with each other and swap roll numbers when it's busy, you can't expect them to share their homework if you haven't bothered to turn up.

I went just after 8. They were doing a brisk trade. A short queue to get in, getting longer by the minute.
As I was leaving I heard a man ask the clerk at the door if his work ID would do.
Only tellers were Lib Dem and Tory. It's a top Lib Dem target seat and Labour haven't been botheing so much here.

BTW, not much point in having tellers if you can't cover the whole day - you'd risk calling up people you missed because they'd voted in the meantime. And although tellers tend to be civil with each other and swap roll numbers when it's busy, you can't expect them to share their homework if you haven't bothered to turn up.

There's also no point in having tellers if you haven't done the groundwork of canvassing, and from what I've read here, very few people have been canvassed, though maybe you have if your constituency is closely fought

Think it depends on the election. Having a very visible teller operation may actually convince some floating voters to plumb for you if you're the only ones there.

There's also no point in having tellers if you haven't done the groundwork of canvassing, and from what I've read here, very few people have been canvassed, though maybe you have if your constituency is closely fought
Well, of course it's absolutely pointless! I don't know if Labour have done much canvassing but this village should have been top of the list if they were.

Voted around 8am. Nobody there, which was a bit depressing somehow. Thankfully a few people came in just after me. There were canvassers outside the train station, by which point most people would have voted I would have thought...

I voted before 9:00 this morning and there was a queue to get to the desk inside the polling station. Just cycled by again and there's a queue of pensioners outside on the pavement waiting to get in.

Labour have done nothing around here, we got one letter from Keith. We got about a dozen identical reform leaflets through the door, so someone doing the leafleting clearly wanted to pack it in and go home!

El Jugs and I have tactically voted for Yvette Cooper, who is forecasted to get a strong majority followed by Reform in second place - because some folks round here don't understand what MPs do or how local authorities work - they seem to think Yvette runs Wakefield district council, they don't know that budgets are set by central government, i.e. Tories. So it's Yvettes fault that the swimming pool and sports centre was demolished and nothing to do with the £33 billion black hole in the councils finances. That and Reform have been blathering on all over Facebook, they're everywhere.

Polling station was quiet, we went at 11am, no one outside, a steady stream of voters but no queue.

All this reminds me of something.

What are the rules about the location of polling stations because I remember about 25 years ago I had to get a bus to go and vote and I didn't live in the countryside I lived bang smack in the middle of a big city?

- I always vote by post now.
Never had to walk very far to vote wherever i've lived. Not sure about the law though.

Think it depends on the election. Having a very visible teller operation may actually convince some floating voters to plumb for you if you're the only ones there.
I think there's a wider point in that the tellers here tend to be the local councillors so it reinforces their presence in the community for future local elections too.

We only have LibDem councillors in my small part of the constituency which might explain why there was only a LibDem teller at my polling station! :D

Going from the posts it sounds like turnout is going to be up this election. I remember going to vote (that one I had to get a bus for) and they said I was one of the first people they had, it must have been something like an EU election.

We’ve nearly reached crossover between sensible people and ballot box ritualists, just before noon.

Green Party canvasser just came round and checked to see if we’d voted here. Them and Labour have been pretty relentless in chasing votes. I’m looking forward to seeing what the turnout is round here, kind of nice to be in a marginal where the vermin are not an option.

Back
Top Bottom