Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ban leaf blowers!

air pressure and wings, is all i could grasp from his increasingly frenzied rant, not sure that deserves me having to read a whole thread :p

we've decided not to cross the streams, so i'll never know the truth 🤷
JackNicholson.jpg

A friend of mine has a battery powered DeWalt leaf blower. It's all but useless. It's OK for dry leaves but it's crap on wet stuff... and who has dry leaves in Autumn? I have a Stihl BR700 backpack jobbie that makes his battery powered thing look like a hair dryer. Maybe there are bigger and better battery powered ones but I wouldn't like to be trying to earn money with the thing he has, and it's supposed to be a pretty decent one.

Dewalt are never going to be decent for garden machinery tbf. Stihl and Husqvarna make more serious battery blowers.

Obviously still not as powerful as a petrol job but battery tech like this is ever-evolving. The battery grinders and sabre saws I use now are mad, wouldn't have dreamed them possible 5 years ago.

Dewalt are never going to be decent for garden machinery tbf. Stihl and Husqvarna make more serious battery blowers.

Obviously still not as powerful as a petrol job but battery tech like this is ever-evolving. The battery grinders and sabre saws I use now are mad, wouldn't have dreamed them possible 5 years ago.
Oh I do agree. Some of the battery powered stuff is amazing... but moving air is a big ask, which is why the 'good' leaf blowers have pretty huge engines. You'd need 100KG of batteries on your back to get similar results, unless you only need it for a 5 min job.

Forward, quite quickly if you put it on one of these.
View attachment 202512

(that's a Husqvarna too)
I had a Husky 510 about 30 years ago. We called it the ankle breaker, because the previous 2 owners had broken their ankles on it. One from kickstarting it, and the kickstart rebounded, and the other when it flipped over backwards and he tried to land like a boss, but landed like a bosshead instead. It was all but impossible to gain traction with it. You opened it up and the back wheel just spun, so it seemed like it was going nowhere... until you eased off the throttle, then the tyre got a grip, and it fucked you over the back, like a bucking bronco.

That on off nature of the Husky. I remember them well. My mate had one we always bump started it. Otherwise it was as bad as an old ex army Armstrong I owned. 500cc single. Kick start only. You had to know the precise series of actions in order to start it..
Or it would launch you into orbit.

One of the things residents asked for, when we started to take over services on the estate from the council, was "could we afford to go back to raking and collecting leaves, rather than using blowers?". We can, and we'll be doing it.

One of the things residents asked for, when we started to take over services on the estate from the council, was "could we afford to go back to raking and collecting leaves, rather than using blowers?". We can, and we'll be doing it.
Excellent work.

I hadn't realised how many residents were either night-workers, or did shift patterns that included nights, until we asked. Almost 25%!!! :eek:

So, leaf blowers out, and petrol strimmers only for a couple of hours per day.
Loads of people on my estate work nights/evenings. I sometimes feel just a tiny bit guilty when I'm going out for a pub booze-up* and pass them on their way to work.

(*back in the old days when such things were possible)

Loads of people on my estate work nights/evenings. I sometimes feel just a tiny bit guilty when I'm going out for a pub booze-up* and pass them on their way to work.

(*back in the old days when such things were possible)

Yeah. We're awaiting a council directive to close down the community hall. Sure it'll occur to them soon.

No posts for a whole week! It’s like you lot don’t even care about leaf blowers and the havoc they are causing / good they are doing?!

Is no one angry? I know I am! :mad:

No posts for a whole week! It’s like you lot don’t even care about leaf blowers and the havoc they are causing / good they are doing?!

Is no one angry? I know I am! :mad:

Has the op banned leaf blowers yet?

Back
Top Bottom