Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Laughing gas: Experts warn nitrous oxide ban will not stop use

They give morphine to women in labour, what's yer point Banhof

The dangers of morphine are known and real, a little huff of gas has fuck all effect on the body, which is why they give that out Willy-nilly and opiates as a very much measured last resort. So what’s your point with your silly whataboutery?

The dangers of morphine are known and real, a little huff of gas has fuck all effect on the body, which is why they give that out Willy-nilly and opiates as a very much measured last resort. So what’s your point with your silly whataboutery?
Aw fuck not the whataboutery police. Who even says "little huff of gas" we used to take this at Christmas and if you'd turned up with your "little huff of gas" banter you'd be laughed out of the kitchen.

But kids, don't do too many huffs.

Aw fuck not the whataboutery police. Who even says "little huff of gas" we used to take this at Christmas and if you'd turned up with your "little huff of gas" banter you'd be laughed out of the kitchen.

But kids, don't do too many huffs.

Best ban it then, cos then no one can get it, same as skag, ya fucking genius.

We're increasingly seeing young men in A&E with some severe and irreversible damage from taking nitrous.

And where I used to live its open taking by gangs of lads in their 20s and 30s was massively connected to a whole host of anti-social problems that drove people (especially families) out of the area.

I have no strong opinion about making it illegal, but would take the arguments against more seriously if people stopped pretending there were no problems connected to its use at all and/or suggested immediate solutions for areas where it was a problem.

We're increasingly seeing young men in A&E with some severe and irreversible damage from taking nitrous.

You work in an A&E unit?

How often do you see you men with irreversible damage from Nos?

Do you see any young women? Or older folk of either or neither gender?

You work in an A&E unit?

How often do you see you men with irreversible damage from Nos?

Do you see any young women? Or older folk of either or neither gender?

Yup work in A&E. Although I have seen 3 personally in the last few months, there are often them in the department, I wouldn't want to guess numbers but I would say it's not insignificant, wouldn't surprise me if we see a handful every week now, although not all with severe damage for sure and it's too soon for us to know if it's irreversible as we don't deal with their ongoing care post-discharge/admission. I just do some tests, take a history, examine them, and then give them the good news that all that harmless gas they've been puffing has fucked them up (if they admit to it, and sometimes we have to ask specifically if we suspect). Then we give them some B12 and send them home/to a ward.

No, the ones I've seen or noticed in the handovers/in A&E have all been men in the 20s.

Quick Google, but plenty of even more recent stuff out there National Poisons Information Service annual report published

A number of issues are highlighted in the 2021/22 NPIS Annual Report, including the impact of recreational use of nitrous oxide (N2O)...
  • Recreational use of N2O in the UK is common, but prolonged use can lead to the development of neurological symptoms and degeneration of the spinal cord. Over a period of 10 years to 2022 the NPIS saw a 257% increase in calls regarding N2O, particularly amongst young adults aged 18-24 years; the report highlights the clear need for a public health campaign to increase awareness about the harms of N2O.

Last edited:
I'm all for public health campaigns. But in that same period, how many A&E incidents have you seen related to alcohol?

Also, how many of those were just NO2 incidents? Were other substances involved, and if so, which?

aslo, percentage increases can seem impressive, but sometimes they're not so impressive if the initial figure was low. Going from 2 to 6 is a 200% increase.

I'm not trying to have a go here, but this is exactly how moral panics get started.

I'm all for public health campaigns. But in that same period, how many A&E incidents have you seen related to alcohol?

Also, how many of those were just NO2 incidents? Were other substances involved, and if so, which?

aslo, percentage increases can seem impressive, but sometimes they're not so impressive if the initial figure was low. Going from 2 to 6 is a 200% increase.

I'm not trying to have a go here, but this is exactly how moral panics get started.

tbf if a moral panic gets started, it isn't due to an urbanite posting what they see at work here on urban, is it.

No, all specifically nitrous damage. Moral panic lol, just reporting some observations.

Alcohol point is irrelevant whataboutery, but tbh I don't see as much in terms of sterotypical drunk injury/fights as you might think, often see more chronic alcohol related health issues though like withdrawal seizures etc. But that is anecdata and maybe partly as I don't work nights, and they might end up in a slightly different part of A&E as well.

Is this some weird pedantry police thing

Pedantry yes, Policing no
In the interests of clarity.
Some hospital trusts offer Pethidine in early labour. Pethidine is a synthetic opid that has 1/10 the strength of morphine.

Pedantry yes, Policing no
In the interests of clarity.
Some hospital trusts offer Pethidine in early labour. Pethidine is a synthetic opid that has 1/10 the strength of morphine.
Aye I know, but some also offer diamorphine and more rarely oramorph. NHS grampian who birthed my son are calling it a morphine injection but I'm assuming it's diamorphine ala Tayside

Well, they did. Some hospitals have discontinued its use, due to the exposure risks to midwives.

So, if the concentrations in exhaled air are a health risk, how do you asses the risks in inhaling pure NO2? The hospital stuff is 50/50 O2 and NO2.
the issues is insufficent scavenging of the exhaled gas mixture in various maternity / emergency care settings vs it's use in anaesthesia - and in particular it's an issue inmatenrity settings as it has in the past been extremely widely and very frequently used for significant periods in settings with no Scavenge system

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom