Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Council “bankruptcy”?

I must be thinking of somewhere else... maybe Swindon (which is nowhere near Basildon).
One of the members of Whitechapel Anarchist Group was a long term Thurrock resident. (no title) The Stirrer being a recent project. Papers Worth mentioning that Fobbing, a village in Thurrock was a significant centre during the peasants revolt. Joseph Conrad had a house on the marshes for a while.

Last edited:
There's been stuff going on in Mid Devon too. Up until this year, the tories were in control and set up a property development company. Some of the housing would have been social and the rest private, to pay the bills.

With the obscene profits made by house builders recently you'd think that no one could lose money as a property developer. You'd think that

But no. The tories lost control of the council and it was immediately discovered that the property company was about to go bust with debts of £21 million.

It's being looked into, but I wouldn't be surprised if many of the land purchases were for well above the proper value. I interviewed some of the councillors a few years ago and half of the tories were farmers. Farmers never want to sell any of their land but if someone offers you a few million quid for a field, what are you going to do.

Last edited:
Local authorities do spend money in silly ways though. For some reason Manchester city council owns Stanstead airport.
It's part of Manchester Airport group - they own East Midlands Airport too. The city council owns about 35% (Manchester Airport is on its land) and the other nine boroughs in Greater Manchester share the same percentage with the rest owned by private investors. It gives the council a dividend each year which helps fund stuff. I think they've owned it since it was built donkeys years ago.

There's been stuff going on in Mid Devon too. Up until this year, the tories were in control and set up a property development company. Some of the housing would have been social and the rest private, to pay the bills.

Never mimd that 'the bills' would be a lot lower if it was all social housing.

Croydon owes so much money it’s truely mind boggling. The headquarters, fishers folly, is the most expensive council building per sq foot in the uk. It’s shit as well.

Borrowing money off the public loans board to buy up failing businesses was always madness. Doing so to build office buildings to rent was beyond insanity.

Mike Ashley will come to the rescue, buy up the name, make whatever they make in Nottingham (bikes?) in China and sell cheaply with a pretend 70% discount.

Last edited:
Next stage of the plan governments plan kicks in... Even deeper privatisation
Another facet of the neoliberal project that will likely accelerate under Starmer.

This always takes me a minute to compute. I’m sure all Scottish posters have the same problem.
Sure does Danny :D

I'm certain Glasgow will make this list at some point.

Many council services cut to the bone, borne out most recently by recycling bins in this uplift zone which is quite a significant number of streets having one collection since early December when there should have been four. Many complaints received apparently, with the reason given that cleansing crews are moved onto gritters in the event of a cold weather forecast (below freezing is the trigger point as best I can tell).

I appreciate Red Routes and major arteries being kept open, of course, but refuse collection is an essential service so if that's being cut back, what else?

I think the plan is to have every council make the list. I mean, if it's not the active plan it is the passive consequence of their policies and it's not like anyone in central government plans to stop it happening, is it?

From BBC News

Birmingham City Council has confirmed it will raise council tax by 21% over the next two years as part of £300m budget savings.

Street lights are to be dimmed, waste collections are to become fortnightly, while burial costs will increase.

Up to 600 job losses are still likely, the local authority said.

The Labour-run authority has been revealing details of cuts it must make after declaring itself effectively bankrupt last year.

In a briefing on Monday, the council released details of how it intended to cut £150m from its budget in 2024-25 and the same amount in 2025-26.

Fortnightly waste collections are set to be introduced in 2025-26, but other savings are expected to come in almost immediately.

Dimming streetlights is expected to save almost £1m a year, while cutting spending on highways maintenance could save up to £12m, depending on the outcome of a Private Finance Initiative (PFI) - a partnership with the private sector.

Adult social care will be cut by £23.7m in the next financial year, while the Children's Young People and Families department will be forced to find £51.5m savings.

The council hopes renegotiating children's travel contracts could also save £13m a year.

In January, the council asked ministers for permission to raise council tax by 10% in each of the next two years.

It was forced to issue a section 114 notice last year, effectively declaring itself bankrupt, after facing equal pay claims of up to £760m and an £80m overspend on an under-fire IT system.

As a result independent commissioners were brought in to help run the council.

The GMB union, which is currently balloting members for strike action over "the council's inaction" on resolving equal pay claims, said it now wanted government intervention to resolve it.

"Birmingham City Council seem to have a plan for slashing local services, but they don't yet have a plan for settling equal pay," Racheal Fagan, GMB organiser, said.

"City Council bosses are at pains to stress they need to find budget savings to settle historic equal pay claims, yet not a single penny of the wages stolen from working women has been returned.

"We need to see urgent central government intervention on the equal pay crisis but instead, they're trying to pass the cost onto ordinary Brummies."

Without intervention, the issues will become "a tragically familiar story across the country" as more councils face rising equal pay debts and shrinking budgets, she added.

Back
Top Bottom