Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ban leaf blowers!

Living abroad has taught me what a weird attitude to kids we have in Britain. We're not nice to them in public.

They would be much improved if they had volume controls. I've been listening to heavy metal at stupid volumes for over 16 years, and hearing their screeching still somehow feels like a pair of pickaxes are being fervently driven into my earholes.

I use a inflatable kayak a lot. I'm thinking of using a blower as a method of propulsion. This could work and be great fun!
I think this definitely needs its own thread, along the lines of the "Will it take off?" thread. You attach a sail to the kayak and point the blower at the sail (whilst sat in the kayak)... Will the kayak move forward or would it be like standing in a bucket and trying to lift yourself off the floor?
Answers on a postcard.

Last edited:
Why cant the leaves be left on the grass to rot away..and feed the worms and bugs.

The only leaves that need clearing are the ones on roads. They can be hazardous. But wet leaves in the garden could be left tot into the soil.
Where there are small quantities this can be done, although many people regard it as untidy and evidence that gardeners aren't doing their job properly.

But large amounts of leaves left on a lawn will kill the grass by cutting off the light and preventing photosynthesis.

There's also the problem that leaves blow around and those which were on the grass yesterday are on the road today.

Every autumn we spend between 4 and 6 weeks collecting leaves and, where possible using them to mulch shrub beds, helping to prevent weeds from growing and thereby reducing the need for weedkiller (something else which many people would like banned outright without understanding that we don't have nearly enough gardeners to be able to control weeds by hand as we used to).

If we didn't use blowers, it would take far far longer to collect all the leaves, and as a result we would only have finished collecting them when it was time to start grass cutting again, leaving no time to carry out other essential winter jobs like hedge cutting and rose pruning.

But maybe all that is a reasonable sacrifice to make so that some people can sleep until midday without being disturbed.

Around 7.30/8am in the summer.
They would have been doing a "flyer". I doubt they are officially allowed out of the depot at that ungodly hour, I have never seen a contract specification that allowed a start before 08:00.

I would not complain though. It could leak as to the complainant and a campaign of payback would surprise in its inventiveness. Trust me I foolishly complained about the dust being out at 05:00. They threw my wheelie bin in the back of the bin truck. Then ripped off the garden gate and binned it..
I got another wheelie bin and they told the police I had stolen it and I got visited by plod.

I eventually wrote them a card with a letter apologising. I then moved. They have power.

Ah..ok. are we talking about professional gardeners?
Or just ordinary people taking care of their garden.

I am guessing gardening(part from essential) will be knocked on the head soon and am quite looking forward to seeing how nature overtakes the cities .

Ah..ok. are we talking about professional gardeners?
Or just ordinary people taking care of their garden.
There's no garden or grass involved. It's for the relatively small amount of leaves that fall on to the access road behind the block of flats.

Totally relevant point, thanks. Obviously all leaf blowers - everyone last one of them - are highly skilled craftsmen and therefore above any criticism at all. Every single one achieves leaf blowing perfection, every time. Andy says so.

Its a skilled job. Got inherent risks to vibration whitefinger and hearing damage and more.
They work in (nearly) all weathers and have largely been transferred from secure jobs with pensions to outfits like Veolia and similar who screw the staff out of money, morale, solidarity, dignity.

Some solidarity from you would be welcomed I'm sure.

There's no garden or grass involved. It's for the relatively small amount of leaves that fall on to the access road behind the block of flats.
Leaves on roads are extremely dangerous, for all vehicles and their users. It's like aquaplaning if you brake on them and they build up under your tyres, so removing them can only be a good thing.

Leaves on roads are extremely dangerous, for all vehicles and their users. It's like aquaplaning if you brake on them and they build up under your tyres, so removing them can only be a good thing.
It's a tiny, one-lane access lane with traffic calming lumps every 20 meters that barely sees any traffic, ever. The notion of a car managing to aquaplane on that road is truly laughable when cars can barely reach 5mph. :facepalm:

They would have been doing a "flyer". I doubt they are officially allowed out of the depot at that ungodly hour, I have never seen a contract specification that allowed a start before 08:00.

I would not complain though. It could leak as to the complainant and a campaign of payback would surprise in its inventiveness. Trust me I foolishly complained about the dust being out at 05:00. They threw my wheelie bin in the back of the bin truck. Then ripped off the garden gate and binned it..
I got another wheelie bin and they told the police I had stolen it and I got visited by plod.

I eventually wrote them a card with a letter apologising. I then moved. They have power.
We start work at 7.30 and are allowed to use machinery from 8am.

This is to maximise use of daylight, especially in the winter, although I suppose we could arrange to start at, say, midday and work on under portable electric lights after dark to avoid disturbing the sleep of late risers.

This is to maximise use of daylight, especially in the winter, although I suppose we could arrange to start at, say, midday and work on under portable electric lights after dark to avoid disturbing the sleep of late risers.
Why would he want to start blowing leaves at 8am in winter when it's pitch black and there's no leaves on the trees, and those that fell in the autumn have long been cleared up?
:facepalm:

leaf blowers are used to tidy up after most grounds keeping work ... strimming/hedge cutting/ mulching

I'm amazed that your experience working on building sites hasn't taught you this, but we generally wait for the leaves to fall from the trees before we gather them up.

Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong all these years.
If you think from December onwards is the right time to send out leaf blowers I think you've lost touch with the seasons or something.

Is a bit yours angrily from chipping norton tbh
Oh I dunno. I think everyone's entitled to a moan and a minor gripe now and then but I'm not sure they deserve the pile on that follows.

Anyway, I'm still chuckling at the idea of a car aquaplaning along here.

2020-03-20_202310.jpg

It's a tiny, one-lane access lane with traffic calming lumps every 20 meters that barely sees any traffic, ever. The notion of a car managing to aquaplane on that road is truly laughable when cars can barely reach 5mph. :facepalm:
Bicycles and motorbikes are much more susceptible to losing control due to leaves on the road. A tiny patch of leaves could result in a cyclist receiving life-changing injuries, or worse. Gardens are one thing but nothing trumps people's safety, not even a noisy leaf blower.

Oh I dunno. I think everyone's entitled to a moan and a minor gripe now and then but I'm not sure they deserve the pile on that follows.

Anyway, I'm still chuckling at the idea of a car aquaplaning along here.

View attachment 202494
I think you either misunderstood or chose to be disingenuous. I said that braking on leaves was like aquaplaning. It has the same effect, but at a much lower speed.

I think it reasonable. Carry on. :)

I'm amazed that your experience working on building sites hasn't taught you this, but we generally wait for the leaves to fall from the trees before we gather them up.

Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong all these years.

Not in Westminster they don't. Have seen them use cherry pickers to harvest them from the trees. (probably had complaints about the vehicle reversing bleeps though)

I'm wondering if editor would feel the same way about the people removing these leaves if the leaves were left there and he slipped on them or came off his bike as a result. I'll hazard a guess that if this did happen, we'd have a ranty thread about the council failing to remove leaves.

Not in Westminster they don't. Have seen them use cherry pickers to harvest them from the trees. (probably had complaints about the vehicle reversing bleeps though)
Westminster are obviously ahead of the curve on this one, but where they lead I'm sure other boroughs will follow.

If you think from December onwards is the right time to send out leaf blowers I think you've lost touch with the seasons or something.
You're attributing to me a comment I never made, but in fact we are still picking up leaves in December most years, partly because of the sheer scale of the job and partly because all trees don't shed their leaves at the same time, it happens over a period of many weeks.

Back
Top Bottom